December Bahamas

devbak150

So, unfortunately the cruise we were supposed to go on Monday we will have to cancel due to emergency.  It was a me and mom trip and they have put my grandmother (my mothers mom) in hospice.  She is expected to pass any day.  Luckily I did purchase insurance.  Maybe a blessing in disguise with the storm as well.  So wondering about doing the same itinerary (Coco Cay/Nassau) from PC on the Mariner in December.  It would be early Dec.  I have cruised several times, but always in warmer months.  Is this a decent time to go?  Will water be warm enough for beach and pools onboard? 

Very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Have you cancelled the cruise already?  It's possible that Royal may cancel it or give the option of a full refund if they need to make storm changes.  That might be better than pursuing an insurance claim.  We should know more later today or tomorrow.  They are talking about possibly extending this weekend's cruise by one day which would impact your Monday cruise.

December weather in Florida and the Bahamas can vary from quite pleasant to downright cold.  Usually that risk is greater in January or February and often early December is a pleasant time to cruise without the oppressive heat of summer.   However there are no guarantees.

1 hour ago, devbak150 said:

So, unfortunately the cruise we were supposed to go on Monday we will have to cancel due to emergency.  It was a me and mom trip and they have put my grandmother (my mothers mom) in hospice.  She is expected to pass any day.  Luckily I did purchase insurance.  Maybe a blessing in disguise with the storm as well.  So wondering about doing the same itinerary (Coco Cay/Nassau) from PC on the Mariner in December.  It would be early Dec.  I have cruised several times, but always in warmer months.  Is this a decent time to go?  Will water be warm enough for beach and pools onboard? 

What I always do is google "Weather in (Nassau, Paris, Walla Walla, ...) in December" and the first result is usually a calendar with average weather for that month, day-by-day. Gives a great idea of what is likely to happen.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Have you cancelled the cruise already?  It's possible that Royal may cancel it or give the option of a full refund if they need to make storm changes.  That might be better than pursuing an insurance claim.  We should know more later today or tomorrow.  They are talking about possibly extending this weekend's cruise by one day which would impact your Monday cruise.

December weather in Florida and the Bahamas can vary from quite pleasant to downright cold.  Usually that risk is greater in January or February and often early December is a pleasant time to cruise without the oppressive heat of summer.   However there are no guarantees.

Thank You for your condolences.  I have not cancelled yet because as bad as this might sound, I know it would be better to wait until she passes so we can have date of death proof for refund.  I did cancel all of my excursions and drink package yesterday so that was done.  My travel agent said it was best to cancel 3 days out but that I could cancel anytime prior to sale date.

You know the more I think about it, whatever the weather is (if we book Dec) it will definitely be warmer than home.  South Dakota!  :)

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Great time to sail. Humidity will be low(er) and mostly sunny.

Thank You!  This makes me feel better.  Humidity and extreme heat and I do not go together!  I almost died walking around Nassau in late May this year on our DC for a few hours!  As long as the weather hold for flights and travel, it will be a nice warm vacation away from South Dakota December weather!  :) 

@devbak150 we cruised a few years back in December.  The weather was just as @Matt described.  The only minor drawback was that the beach was a bit on the cool side.  Other than that, very comfortable.  We are cruising again next December.  There are some great rates at that time of the year between US Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We originally booked the Eastern for December but after reading "allot" of reviews, I found most considered the water temp cool to cold and air temps 70-80. We switched to Western where water is much warmer and air temps 80 or better. You might also have to deal with aftermath of the current Hurricane. All Islands you hoped to visit maybe closed. Sorry about your grandmother. Hope this helps.

As @twangster has stated the weather can differ, but I can tell you that we have sailed at least 4 times doing Nassau and Coco Cay and the weather has always been good four us.  The water has been a little chilly but FAR WARMER than anything here in Virginia that time of the year! I honestly would book it, and not worry about it.  And I am sorry to hear about your grandmother!  My heart goes out to you and your family!