Drink Prices

After doing extensive research, I have found that drink prices on RCCL are EXHORBITANT any way you look at it!!!  On Princess, drinks, with premium liquors are $8.95 TOPS ...  AND EVERY night they have a 2-FER in the Skyview Bar.  As my husband said..."ONE and DONE".  No more RCCL cruises for us  BIG MISTAKE on my part for sure.  I just HAD to try a different cruise line.  Princess...we are coming home!!!!!

I agree that the drink prices are high; fortunately, I'm not much of a drinker, so this doesn't impact me much. For nondrinkers, though, there is still an impact. A grande specialty coffee was $6 on the Liberty. It says something when they're charging more than Starbucks, which I didn't think was possible.

While Princess is a good line that I have previously sailed, it doesn't have the same appeal for my son. In addition, when pricing Northern Europe over the last two years, Princess has been significantly higher for my family.

In the end, I think all lines have their own ways of squeezing out onboard revenue; they just do it a little differently.

I can think of many places where drink prices are much higher. Theme parks and concerts just to name two.

I think RC's drink prices are about average what you would pay at a resort.  They certainly are higher than they had been, but what prices haven't gone up (aside from oil currently).

While Royal's drink prices maybe comparable to a concert or a theme park, which we  all readily admit are overpriced, for a vacation drinks are expensive on Royal.

Yes, if you eat out on vacation or hit a high end bar you may pay comparable, but you have lots of options to find places whey they are half the price or less when vacationing. Once on a cruise, you have no option except what they offer.

Across cruise ships as well, I get the impression they are some of the more expensive not to mention that they NEVER include the drink package in your cruise fare or give you any breaks on drink packages like many other cruise lines do.

SO overall, among the more common/popular cruise lines Royal probably is one of the priciest.

Morning!  Been on a few RCL cruises but never purchased the drink packages.  Leaving on the Freedom of the Seas this upcoming Sunday and trying to figure out if the package is worthwhile for my husband and I.  He will def drink more than me and probably over the course of the day.  I tend to start at it around 5 and will drink 4 or 5 glasses of wine.  I MIGHT have a foo-foo drink at the pool during the day.  We are both HUGE water drinkers, consuming 4 or 5 bottles a day EACH now at home.  My husband drinks beer as his first choice, will definitely have wine at dinner.  Can we purchase just one package (the Premium package I believe - not the lowest one but not highest one either) and somehow share it?  Do you have to purchase it for the entire cruise or can you just get it for a certain number of days.  Two packages at $ 57 a day seems quite high.  Any suggestions/info would be appreciated!  Thanks so much!

Can we purchase just one package (the Premium package I believe - not the lowest one but not highest one either) and somehow share it?

That is against the rules, and it's been reported that if you are caught sharing the package, they cancel your package and may also charge you for drinks that were obtained via the package.

Yes..I have never bought the picture package or any pictures from Royal....way too expensive. Lower the prices and I would.

So they would sell more on volume that way I would think.

That being said, the drink package is a good deal, based on the current cost of drinks and how much I drink each day on a cruise. But overall the drinks prices are way too high imho.

I have friends who've been long time RCI cruisers, and they've stopped cruising and started going to an AI resort in Jamaica. They say the bang for the dollar is just not there anymore like it used to be on a cruise.   I saw pictures of their room and it was about 5X bigger then a a RCI GS..  They had all the top shelf booze great food and one of the only draw backs was the beer he said they only had red Stripe.

I live in FL so the big plus for us is no flying and I usually try to justify my bar bill by saying that would have been my airfare had I flown.  Even with that I am starting to question the value of cruising anymore. with all the add-on and up-charges now a days.

I have friends who've been long time RCI cruisers, and they've stopped cruising and started going to an AI resort in Jamaica. They say the bang for the dollar is just not there anymore like it used to be on a cruise.   I saw pictures of their room and it was about 5X bigger then a a RCI GS..  They had all the top shelf booze great food and one of the only draw backs was the beer he said they only had red Stripe.

I live in FL so the big plus for us is no flying and I usually try to justify my bar bill by saying that would have been my airfare had I flown.  Even with that I am starting to question the value of cruising anymore. with all the add-on and up-charges now a days.

I've done a few all-inclusive so. We're always ready to go after three days as the resorts get old as does the food. I've yet to experience this on a cruise, so AIs aren't an option for my family. Also, when I've priced AIs, they've usually been more expensive.

I'm glad your friends have found an alternative that they're happy with, though.

I've done a few all-inclusive so. We're always ready to go after three days as the resorts get old as does the food. I've yet to experience this on a cruise, so AIs aren't an option for my family. Also, when I've priced AIs, they've usually been more expensive.

I'm glad your friends have found an alternative that they're happy with, though.

They were talking about prices as well and said that if you go to one of the main stream resorts like Couples or Beaches they are much higher, but to look at some of the others out there and they are usually nicer and less money.  I think they stayed at a Riu Palace or something similar.

I only did AI's for about 10 years..all over the Caribbean.....Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican......resorts Like RIU, Bahia etc....

Always stayed at 4star or higher...most resorts were very  very nice.....and on average about $1000 USD including all airfare, drinks, food etc for a week.

NO way to beat that with cruising prices now....

For the past 3 years I have done just cruising basically(9cruises in 3 years) but now with the CAD dollar so low it hurts too much to keep it up.

The drink package in CAD with Royal is almost $700 for a week....I can almost pay for a whole week away at an AI for not much more than that.

I could justify the high cost of drinks when the cruises were cheaper and the dollar closer to par....but no longer able to.

Just had to cancel a 7 day cruise in April on AOS.....was going to cost me almost $4000 for the total package....