Hurricane?

We are on FOS next year (May) out of Puerto Rico. So, have been paying attention to the current hurricane threat the island is under.  Which got me thinking:  what happens to cruise ships and their itineraries when a hurricane comes through??  Is your vacation ruined? I assume the cruise is cancelled.  Do they offer any kind of rain-check?  

14 hours ago, Lovestotravel said:

We are on FOS next year (May) out of Puerto Rico. So, have been paying attention to the current hurricane threat the island is under.  Which got me thinking:  what happens to cruise ships and their itineraries when a hurricane comes through??  Is your vacation ruined? I assume the cruise is cancelled.  Do they offer any kind of rain-check?  

your question is very valid, but in your case, May, is out of the Hurricane Season that runs from June 1st to November 30th, so your sailing is out of it, even if your sail date is close to the end of May, the peak of the season is end of August and September.  Enjoy your cruise it will be fun with lot of new things try. 

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Good luck!  I'm the day before out of Ft. Lauderdale on Allure..so I'm in a wait-and-see holding pattern, too.

Fort Lauderdale on Sunday should be no problem. Especially for a massive beast like the Allure! If the storm keeps tracking North we may see some bands of higher then normal winds but nothing that would derail your cruise. With that being said, I do hope your flying in early because any inbound hurricane will make the airport an absolute nightmare regardless of where it makes landfall in the state. 

9 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Fort Lauderdale on Sunday should be no problem. Especially for a massive beast like the Allure! If the storm keeps tracking North we may see some bands of higher then normal winds but nothing that would derail your cruise. With that being said, I do hope your flying in early because any inbound hurricane will make the airport an absolute nightmare regardless of where it makes landfall in the state. 

Fort Lauderdale is in the error cone. I'm on the same cruise B2B2B. Nothing I can do is wait.

9 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

Fort Lauderdale is in the error cone. I'm on the same cruise B2B2B. Nothing I can do is wait.

The entire state is within the cone so I wouldn’t put much emphasis on that. I can tell you w/ boots on the ground in East Fort Lauderdale that so far there is no panic. Yes, people are buying all the water from Publix but we have not gotten to the 1 mile long gas station line levels of panic and I don’t think we will. Hopefully over the course of the next 24 hours we get some more clarity. 

Just now, tonyfsu21 said:

The entire state is within the cone so I wouldn’t put much emphasis on that. I can tell you w/ boots on the ground in East Fort Lauderdale that so far there is no panic. Yes, people are buying all the water from Publix but we have not gotten to the 1 mile long gas station line levels of panic and I don’t think we will. Hopefully over the course of the next 24 hours we get some more clarity. 

Yes I live in FL on the ocean 1.5 hours North of Port Everglades. I did fill my tank today.?

For the most part, once on board, the cruise line can adjust pretty quickly to a storm to stay away.   It seems the big impacts involve the port of origination.  If it hits there on turn around day, it would impact a lot of people which appears to be the case this weekend.

I just noticed the updated "cone" ---- looks positive for Miami .... not so positive for the Space Coast ...... looks like Titusville has a bullseye on its back ......

Although, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps shifting north...... JAX and Savannah need to keep an eye on this one.

10 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

I just noticed the updated "cone" ---- looks positive for Miami .... not so positive for the Space Coast ...... looks like Titusville has a bullseye on its back ......

Although, at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps shifting north...... JAX and Savannah need to keep an eye on this one.

Points North have to be as ready as the bullseye.  The North East quadrant of a storm is usually where the nasty stuff occurs so even if it hits the space coast anything North of there will see pretty ugly conditions.

2 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

This is my worry..my flight is set to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale the day before the cruise, Saturday afternoon.  It's only a 7-hour drive but with no direct flights from Tallahassee we have to go via Atlanta..so I'm worried ATL-FLL will be scrapped and I'll be stuck 4 hours further north!  If they end up waiving the change fees I'm going to push for an earlier flight.