Grandeur Holiday 2019

DBeas0106

Instead of doing gifts this year, we thought a cruise would be a great way to get out of the hustle and bustle (and the cold) of our city just in time for Christmas. As a couple in our mid-30s, we are eyeing up a last-minute - at least by RCBlog suggested standards -  Holiday sailing from Baltimore on Grandeur (8 nights w stops in Nassau, Perfect Day, Port Canaveral, and Charleston SC)

We’ve never sailed on Grandeur, and we’re aware that she is a Vision Class ship that hasn’t been amplified or refurbished in quite some time. While we do understand that we aren’t getting the best in modern amenities as other classes of ships, that’s not to say there aren’t things to love about her.

So.....What are your favorite things about Grandeur?

Any tips you can provide to help us have an enjoyable Christmas Holiday sailing are greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

-Doug

Previous sailings on: Enchantment, Majesty, Freedom

We have sailed on Grandeur during the holidays the past 2 years and we really love it.  It’s a small ship (compared to the monster ships) but we enjoyed it very much.  We were very disappointed to find that they have discontinued the combo Christmas +NY cruise that we have been taking.

There are no water slides or laser tag or bouncy things but it is more of a traditional cruise. There are 3 specialty restaurants- Chops, Giovanni’s and Izumi.  The food and service are very good so will not starve. Getting into and out of the port are easy. I highly recommend Grandeur. Just make sure you know what you’re getting....or more importantly, what you’re not getting.

I agree we did the 12 Night Christmas and New Years sailing a couple of years ago and had a great time. Nothing like being in 80 degree weather in the Caribbean during Christmas and New Years. They had a group aboard that does Christmas carols every year, they had a great gingerbread town set up. The staff were great and it has an indoor pool and solarium so if (when) it's cold you can still swim and jacuzzi....

Santa handed out gifts (RC mug) to the kids....they had eggnog and Charleston, SC is a very cute town to visit.

Enjoy!

We cruised on Grandeur in May (5 nights to Bermuda) and loved it. We’re hoping to schedule another cruise for 2020. As previously noted, she doesn’t have some of the amenities that other ships have - no zip lines, water slides, etc. - but that was perfect for us. We are a couple in our 40’s and wanted a low key, relaxing vacation. Food ranged from good to very good; service was great. One of the shows was lots of fun (Motown review), others were somewhat painful, but that didn’t matter to us. Embarkation and debarkation were a breeze. Baltimore’s port is very easy to navigate. We had a great time and are ready to go again!

My Soulmate and I will be sailing on Grandeur (NOV 08) ... (it will be our 3 cruise on her in the last 2 years).  We have sailed on every class of RC ship (except Empress and Majesty).  She is, obviously, one of our favourites.  Here are our biggest observations:

1) Baltimore port is very easy to navigate ... in and out.  You will not feel like you are on a "cattle call".

2) If you love to dance (or even like it a little bit), this might be the best cruise ship in RC's fleet.  We are always in the Centrum at 4:30ish to dance all the way until late seating.  Live bands on RC are great ... Lady G does not disappoint.  While you are dancing or enjoying the music, you will notice a "connection" to the sea.  Everywhere from the Centrum you can see outside.  Some of the larger ships rob you of this experience ... drink it up.

3)  If you like a piano bar, the Schooner Bar is very similar to the ones on other RC ships, with one small exception.  We find it is a little more intimate, a little more inviting, and a great place to hang out.  AND, just like the Centrum, you are always connected to the sea ... there are wonderful views from virtually everywhere in the Schooner Bar.

4)  The staff is excellent ... we have seen some of the crew twice now and really hope we see them again in NOV.

5)  We are big "show people".  Still, even the basic performances on this small ship are very enjoyable.  They are genuine and feel more like someone is performing in your living room.  Very special.

6)  If John Blair is the Cruise Director, he will perform his Neil Diamond Tribute.  We have seen twice (JAN 2006  & NOV 2018).  It is excellent.  After seeing the first time, I found myself listening to a lot more Neil Diamond.  Not to be missed.

7)  The ship is extremely easy to get around.  This was different for us on our May cruise, as we just got of Harmony ... earlier in the year.  It is kind of nice to not have to plan 30 minutes in advance to get somewhere (slight exaggeration).  Have I mentioned yet, that you CAN ALWAYS SEE THE SEA.  This is a big plus and something not to be missed.

8.  Relax ... we are always relaxed on this ship.  The Solarium is small, but very quiet and relaxing.

9)  If you like to walk, the best place is on Deck 5  where you can walk outside all around the ship ... it is shaded for 95% of your trip.  Did I mention that you are still really connected to the seas.

As others have said, there are very few bells and whistles.  Still this is one of the most enjoyable cruise ships we have experienced.

HAVE A BLAST ...

Curt From Canada

Grandeur .....

Oh, where do I begin ....

For my wife and I (we are in our mid-50's), Lady G is the sweet spot between traditional cruising and the modern cruise experience.  We have found her the easiest ship to navigate, the crew is second to none, and our ability to just relax has been stunning.  The facilities are in fantastic shape in spite of her age.  Izumi, on the back side of the Viking Crown Lounge is stunning with its views...... Oh, and speaking of views, unlike today's monster ships that tend to focus your attention inward, Grandeur (along with other Vision and Radiance class ships) focus your attention outward towards the ocean ...... the sheer number of windows, especially in the Schooner Bar is amazing.

Lady G is our home ship out of our home port, we've been on her several times and have at least one more (so far) booked on her.

16114429_10211948566537776_3268905598032426091_n.jpg

20181027_205427.jpg

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

FB_IMG_1534021961316.jpg

17 hours ago, DBeas0106 said:

Instead of doing gifts this year, we thought a cruise would be a great way to get out of the hustle and bustle (and the cold) of our city just in time for Christmas. As a couple in our mid-30s, we are eyeing up a last-minute - at least by RCBlog suggested standards -  Holiday sailing from Baltimore on Grandeur (8 nights w stops in Nassau, Perfect Day, Port Canaveral, and Charleston SC)

We’ve never sailed on Grandeur, and we’re aware that she is a Vision Class ship that hasn’t been amplified or refurbished in quite some time. While we do understand that we aren’t getting the best in modern amenities as other classes of ships, that’s not to say there aren’t things to love about her.

So.....What are your favorite things about Grandeur?

Any tips you can provide to help us have an enjoyable Christmas Holiday sailing are greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

-Doug

Previous sailings on: Enchantment, Majesty, Freedom

Concur that the Centrum and Deck 5 are great spots.  What is nice about the Centrum is that the music carries all the way up to higher decks.  So to just listen to Centrum music, you can sit almost anywhere amidships.@Curt From Canada  captured everything very nicely, and I actually prefer the shows on Vision class to those on Oasis-class; it's the singing and dancing without crazy plots.  Have a great cruise!  (We miss the ease of going to Baltimore from Bel Air now that we have retired to NC.)