"Stay A While" Option on Debarkation Day

@MattHey Matt:

8/27/19

Last night on your You Tube Video I had mentioned to you about sharing the "option" to your viewers about the "Stay A While" Program/Option that Royal Caribbean offers on some cruises.

You responded to me saying that you thought that was for Carnival Cruises.

I actually took advantage of this Option when I went on a 7 night Western Mediterranean Cruise on Symphony of the Seas which started and ended in Rome, Italy last August, 2018.

I found out the day before the last day that for $ 35.00 per person we could "Stay a While" on the ship until 3 pm and enjoy all the amenities while our luggage was stored in the Library area.

I thought it was a fantastic option & idea and was thrilled to make our cruise last a little bit longer.

I thought you were totally aware of this option & could broadcast it & help others who may be able to take advantage of this option when it is available to them.

I think your videos and podcasts are absolutely worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks again for everything you do!

PS: I have 4 cruises lined up between now & next September, 2020.  

9/7/19 on Anthem of the Seas to Bermuda

11/2/19 on Anthem of the Seas to Perfect Day & Nassau

6/21/20 Oasis of the Seas to Canada & New England

9/6/20 Oasis of the Seas to Perfect Day & Bahamas!

Angela Roman  ?

"INSIDER"  & Gold Member & will be Platinum by 9/12/19!!!!!

My sailing on Rhapsody out of Venice next month has this option for $42 a person.  There's also something in the fine print about a charge of 5 euro per bag.

@ANGELA ROMAN , you didn't find it depressing to see all the happy newcomers on board who were just beginning their cruise while yours had already ended?  That's whatt I'm most concerned about.  On a port intensive itinerary some extra time to relax by the pool doesn't sound too bad, but I'm worried I'll just end up sad!

@berkeleykel

I was happy as a clam from beginning to the end!

When we first docked in Barcelona, the next day, there were people disembarking & embarking at that port.

Apparently, Royal Caribbean is really smart about that set up. 

Circulating passengers on & off at these different ports.  

There was no charge to hold our bags in the Library or the Stay a While baggage claim area.

You really have to have this set up before the stateroom attendants give you your disembarkation tags.

You get a whole new set of them stating in big letters "Stay A While".

I wish you a blessed & safe trip! ?

From my understanding it's a US Customs Border Protection issue that keeps it from being offered on US sailings.

It is considered a Shore Excursion, so if it's available on a sailing that is where it will appear.

Copy pasta from the excursion description:

Not quite ready to say goodbye? Neither are we. With our new Stay Awhile program, you can extend the last day of your cruise – remain onboard and continue to enjoy everything the ship has to offer before your later departure. We’ll handle your luggage while you enjoy a late breakfast or lunch at Windjammer café; pamper yourself at the spa; relax on the pool deck – the ship is yours. So relax, kick back, and stay awhile.

Highlights:
• Stay Awhile program:  Relax, get a bite to eat and take your time on departure day.

What to Bring:
• Small bag with personal belongings
• Medication
• Credit Cards

What to Wear:
• Comfortable Clothing
• Swimsuit (if planning to use pool)

Important Notes:
• Guests cannot remain in their staterooms after 8:30 a.m.   
• Guests will have access to all public lounges and the pool deck. 
• Guests who have previously purchased a beverage package will have the Royal Refreshment soda package on departure day. 
• Guests who have previously purchased an internet package will continue to have access on departure day.
• Please note that no exit and re-entry to the ship will be permitted on departure day.
• For your convenience, personal credit cards will be accepted for onboard purchases throughout the day.
• Luggage will be given a special tag and will be handled by the staff onboard; guests should only keep small bag with personal belongings.
• Private and group transportation is available.
• Guests who have booked transfers through Royal Caribbean will have the option to request a later transfer upon signing-up for the Stay Awhile Program.

19 minutes ago, cmdrfrag said:

Ooooooh, I will have to keep an eye on that one

We're sailing out for Barca next year on Allure and depending on our flight times that sounds like an excellent idea.

Don't happen to know if there's a limited number for that "excursion" by any chance?

I just booked the same itinerary for next year.  It's not showing up in my cruise planner right now, which I think is odd because for my upcoming Sept cruise on Rhapsody from Venice I'm pretty sure it has been listed in the cruise planner since the beginning of time. 

41 minutes ago, berkeleykel said:

I just booked the same itinerary for next year.  It's not showing up in my cruise planner right now, which I think is odd because for my upcoming Sept cruise on Rhapsody from Venice I'm pretty sure it has been listed in the cruise planner since the beginning of time. 

This was added late on..

• 2 weeks later...

We used the “stay a while” yesterday, it’s was a great addition we made our way to the solarium at around 9am made ourselves comfortable and at around 10am we were asked to go to deck 17 forward for about 30 mins so they could do whatever they do, after that we stayed in the solarium eat at the solarium cafe and then made our way to deck 5 cafe for a quick bite and drink before we disembarked at 3pm our cases were waiting in the baggage terminal..

we were given a wristband to wear which was in the cabin night before we left.

EE94BB1E-B64C-49BF-A124-77828AE1A9DD.jpeg

02575777-9391-40CF-86FB-11BBB3AD116A.jpeg

23E30C9E-BF95-4F10-8182-1CB6517B24C5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I just did Stay Awhile on the Rhapsody out of Venice and wanted to report back on the details, as it seems like this program is a bit different depending on local authorities and ship. 

By the second to last day of the cruise, we had to go to excursions desk and tell them the number of “checked” bags we planned to have and paid $6 for each of them. We were given Stay Awhile tags for each and told to place these outside our stateroom by 11 pm the evening before disembarkation. The fee is apparently charged by the port of Venice to store the luggage throughout the day in the terminal.

On disembarkation day, we had to check in with the temporary Stay Awhile desk (set up in conf room C right off the Centrum on deck 4) by 8:30 am. We could leave any carry on luggage that we didn’t want to cart around stored in the conference room for free until we were ready to depart the ship.

Per the requirement of Italian customs/immigration, the only times you could leave the ship were 1 or 3.  You had to choose this time in advance.  Then 15 mins prior to our chosen time we had to meet back at the conference room and everyone with that time departed the ship together (we were 3 mins late and were paged over the intercom, so be on time!).  Once off the ship we picked up our checked luggage which had been roped off in a separate area of the terminal.

We were able to combine Stay Awhile with a bus transfer to the airport organised by Royal Caribbean (guest services rep told me this was not possible but I knew he was wrong so concierge worked it out for us). We left in the 1 pm Stay Awhile group and booked a transfer that left the port at 1:30, so the timing worked out well. 

We were allowed to go to any public places on the ship.  There were no periods where we had to leave from/go to a specific place because of cleaning or anything. I’d estimate there were about 30 or so people doing Stay Awhile.

It was a little weird at first because the crew was busy cleaning and all of the food/drink venues were closed. No entertainment, live music, etc.  The crew were working flat out cleaning and prepping so didn’t have time for formalities.  However, this was short lived because by 10:30 am everyone had their game faces on again as new guests were boarding (fyi, the last call for guests from our sailing to depart came at 9:40 am, so there was only a very small turnaround time before new guests boarded).  I was one of the first guests at the poolside bar with a lovely Tequila Sunrise around 10:30.

We mainly stayed in the pool area, benefitting from an empty pool and first choice of sun loungers. We then grabbed a Windjammer buffet lunch before departing (including some of the “welcome aboard” cake which we felt a little guilty about).  The main pool and hot tubs were closed in the early morning but opened up between 9:30 and 10.  Never more than 5 people in the pool (including us) from then until we left for the Windjammer at noon.

We had had a port intensive itinerary with only one at sea day, so it was nice to be able to take advantage of some extra relaxation around the pool deck, which had been hard to squeeze in during the cruise itself. I think it was a good choice and would do it again.  It was also nice to bookend the cruise with lunches at Windjammer.  lt felt like we came full circle on the trip rather than being rushed off first thing in the morning.