Water onboard

Hi all!

New to the forum here.  We-re heading off on our 2nd cruise in July 2020, but it'll be 9 years since our first so we're a little rusty.

My question is about water.  I know that tap water is ok to drink, but what do others do when wanting water on your excursions?  Do you take empty refillable bottles onboard with you to fill up, to then take off the ship on excursions?  Is that even allowed?  Or do we need to buy bottled water?

I'm not considering the drinks packages at the moment because I can't drink that much alcohol to make it worth my while (or parent responsibly) and the whole one has it, so every has it rule doesn't work as my husband is near T-total.  So I'm really looking at solutions outside of the drinks package.

Yes the tap water is fine to drink.  The ice water available in every bar is also great because its already cold.

You can definitely take bottles of water off the ship for your excursions.  Please follow the health guidelines and do not fill a water bottle from the actual dispenser.  If you wish to fill your bottle(s) use one or multiple of the clean provided cups and dump them in your bottle.

5 minutes ago, WannabeViking said:

I know that tap water is ok to drink, but what do others do when wanting water on your excursions?

You can take bottled water off the ship. If you have a drink package, a good strategy is to make a few bar stops and stockpile a few to bring with you.

In my experience, bottled water purchasing is never too far away either, so we will often buy bottled water during an excursion just to save on the bulk of bringing our own.

We took our Nalgene bottles with for use on excursions. I filled them up almost daily from the Freestyle machines aboard (sailed on Allure of the Seas). A full bottle generally made it through the day. Otherwise, we just purchased in port.

I'll also add that one of our excursions gave us a bottle of water for the duration of the trip.

Please don't fill your bottles directly from the water spouts onboard. Sometimes the bottles are too big and I have seen people push their bottles under and contaminate the spouts. You are supposed to pour the water into a glass and then into your bottle. I have heard the Freestyle machines are different. Thanks.

We filled our stainless steel water bottles that we brought from home, with ice and water from wherever we happened to eat breakfast before heading out for excursions. 

Back then, our ice bucket in our room was refilled twice a day, but I believe they don't provide that service anymore.

Yes, there are signs posted not to place your water bottle anywhere near the spouts, and there were staff watching as well (good job!)!

I do recall when we went through the check point to get back on the ship, we had to empty the bottles.

1 minute ago, Psycho and Barb said:

They still do but most of the time you need to request it from your room steward...Its one of the first things I ask for when I meet out steward.

There was actually a reminder sticker in our stateroom to ask the room steward if ice was desired.

14 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

They still do but most of the time you need to request it from your room steward...Its one of the first things I ask for when I meet out steward.

11 minutes ago, sabarwolf said:

There was actually a reminder sticker in our stateroom to ask the room steward if ice was desired.

Thank you both for the reminder!