MDR and Windjammer questions

MistiSweigart

I've only cruised 3 times on RC. Booked on my 4th in September (Liberty sept 22-29, 2019). Question for more experienced cruisers. I know when you have a set time for dining you have a set table. But when you have MTD do you have a set table? When we were on Adventure last year, we were seated in the same area every time but had a different waiter and different table each time. Also, I know you can make reservations but do you know how far ahead or how late you can make them, such as can you make them 2 hrs before you want to eat? The reason I am asking is because I may not want to eat in the MDR every night. My mom and I are more of a Buffet type people. But we enjoy going to the MDR at least 3 nights. Windjammer question. Will they tell us which night he "Spicy" food will be out, because we don't like spicy food.

3 minutes ago, MistiSweigart said:

I've only cruised 3 times on RC. Booked on my 4th in September (Liberty sept 22-29, 2019). Question for more experienced cruisers. I know when you have a set time for dining you have a set table. But when you have MTD do you have a set table? When we were on Adventure last year, we were seated in the same area every time but had a different waiter and different table each time. Also, I know you can make reservations but do you know how far ahead or how late you can make them, such as can you make them 2 hrs before you want to eat? The reason I am asking is because I may not want to eat in the MDR every night. My mom and I are more of a Buffet type people. But we enjoy going to the MDR at least 3 nights. Windjammer question. Will they tell us which night he "Spicy" food will be out, because we don't like spicy food.

With MTD you can eat any time. You can make reservations any time or make no reservations at all and just show up when you’re ready to eat.  If you want to keep the same table and/or waiters, they will do their best to accommodate you but sometimes that’s just not possible - especially if you choose random times to dine. They will try though. They’re very good with this sort of thing. 

I have always found the servers to be very helpful in identifying foods that are spicy.  Just ask !

3 hours ago, MistiSweigart said:

We were able to lock in a table and wait staff by making our MTD reservation for a specific time every night.  That was a few years ago.  For us, it was a "work around" since we couldn't get the Traditional Dining seating we had requested.  We did this twice.  The only complication was when we requested a "shared" table rather than our own separate table.  There was some variation (we moved over one table to join another group).  The time we had a private table everything was the same each night.  We basically signed up on the first day (this was before Cruise Planner).  Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise.

This is what I found for the themed nights in the WJ, but note this can change as well as the order of the MDR menus.  When you said spicy food night, did you mean Indian night?  They'll also be listed on your cruise compass.

Day 1:  Grill 

Day 2:  Crepes/Italian

Day 3:  Indian

Day 4:  Caribbean

Day 5:  Mexican

Day 6:  Mixed Grill/Crepes

Day 7:  Mongolian

Hope this helps.

22 hours ago, ellcee said:

I was able to have the same table/waitstafff/time for MTD Harmony. I've heard this doesn't always work. A friend was just on Adventure last week and said this did not work for his group. He had long wait times and not always the same staff.

We had the same experience on Oasis. MTD but same area and same wait staff each night. I don't know if it makes a difference but in our case even though we had MTD we did make reservations ahead of time (at different times each evening). Because you are able to prebook shows on the Oasis class ships we were also able to book our dinner times.

On 8/27/2019 at 9:06 PM, raahc said:

This is what I found for the themed nights in the WJ, but note this can change as well as the order of the MDR menus.  When you said spicy food night, did you mean Indian night?  They'll also be listed on your cruise compass.

Day 1:  Grill 

Day 2:  Crepes/Italian

Day 3:  Indian

Day 4:  Caribbean

Day 5:  Mexican

Day 6:  Mixed Grill/Crepes

Day 7:  Mongolian

Hope this helps.

Yes thank you. I'm so excited. I love cruising.