Cruise this weekend from Miami to Nassau & Perfect Day at Coco Cay - HURRICANE DORIAN

arabucki

We are scheduled to leave from a cruise out of Miami to Nassau, Bahamas and Perfect Day at Coco Cay for a 4 day trip this Friday, 8/30-9/2.  Hurricane Dorian is heading up that way and I  know at a minimum we will get blasted with rain/thunderstorms.  This makes me SUPER nervous for choppy seas, etc and the lack of sun, etc to boot.  Where would they potentially reroute us on only a 4 day trip or do you think there is a chance they would cancel and how far in advance???

44 minutes ago, arabucki said:

We are scheduled to leave from a cruise out of Miami to Nassau, Bahamas and Perfect Day at Coco Cay for a 4 day trip this Friday, 8/30-9/2.  Hurricane Dorian is heading up that way and I  know at a minimum we will get blasted with rain/thunderstorms.  This makes me SUPER nervous for choppy seas, etc and the lack of sun, etc to boot.  Where would they potentially reroute us on only a 4 day trip or do you think there is a chance they would cancel and how far in advance???

its actually a 3 day trip.. Monday doesn't count Lol. I am on this sailing too and I live in South Florida.. I have been monitoring the storm and as of now the National Hurricane center has this storm On Friday when it passes over Dominican Republic downgrading to a tropical depression.. That is just a bad rainstorm.. Will they re route us for that.. Not sure. I am not really sure where they could re route us too.. They might have us go to the Bahamas Saturday and then just circle around in the ocean away from the storm.. Again its too far away to speculate.. But I don't think they will cancel and unless they cancel you won't get your money back.. 

28 minutes ago, Debbie Berdy said:

Will the ship be cancelled due to hurricane or tropical storm?

It's too early to know.  Right now the projected track is changing which is quite normal for a tropical system.  

If the forecast for it becoming a tropical depression holds true, they likely won't cancel.  A depression is typically just heavy rain with some wind.  Strong thunderstorms all summer long produce tropical depression like conditions so there would be no reason to cancel the cruise because of some heavy rain for a few hours.

I just read on another blog a passenger on Symphony commenting they just got re-routed because of Dorian. St Maarten got canceled and sailing directly to San Juan  then to Labadee and Coco Cay instead of StMarteen. According to the passenger blogging when they got the news everyone cheered when they found out they were getting Coco Cay:6_smile:

21 minutes ago, viga said:

I just read on another blog a passenger on Symphony commenting they just got re-routed because of Dorian. St Maarten got canceled and sailing directly to San Juan  then to Labadee and Coco Cay instead of StMarteen. According to the passenger blogging when they got the news everyone cheered when they found out they were getting Coco Cay:6_smile:

Read about it right here:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/08/25/tropical-storm-dorian-changes-itineraries-of-allure-harmony-and-symphony-of-the-seas

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm on a similar itinerary from Port Canaveral on Mariner of the Seas, also departing 8/30.

I don't expect an update on our sailings until Wednesday at the earliest.

Iam on Navigator.. Looks to me like we will have no problem leaving.. Worst case scenario looks like it could just be a cruise with 2 sea days.. I was on a 2 nighter last year that ended up doing that because of weather.. according to the latest models it should just be a tropical depression when it comes over the Bahamas on Saturday so like you said who knows what they will do but I don't see them canceling because like I said there will be no problem leaving on Friday. 

New Model shows it would be a Tropical Storm Hitting Nassau around Saturday at Noon.. There will be no problem with the Ship leaving on Friday but I think they will have to make Saturday a Sea Day so that they can sail around the storm.. But it Is still too far to tell.. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'm on a similar itinerary from Port Canaveral on Mariner of the Seas, also departing 8/30.

I don't expect an update on our sailings until Wednesday at the earliest.

I am on this same sailing! :) Fingers crossed that TS Dorian stays away or dies out. 

1 hour ago, D_Hubb said:

I am on this same sailing! ?Fingers crossed that TS Dorian stays away or dies out. 

I think Its going to hit Nassau on Saturday so I think Royal will end up having to make that a Sea Day.. I don't think they will cancel the cruise because on Friday when the boat leaves everything will be fine. 

After looking at this mornings 8:00 AM advisory I think Navigator will be fine and probably just have to do a Sea Day on Saturday as where else could it go? Now for Mariner that I am not sure because it has to sail south directly towards the storm.. Obviously I have no idea what Royal is going to do but I think Navigator is good to go but not sure about Mariner.. 

On 8/25/2019 at 7:21 PM, arabucki said:

The best information you will get on this will be from the cruise ship.  When you did your check in, you gave a cell phone and/or email which they will use to contact those sailing on the ship affected BEFORE they let your TA or the public know the plan. 

19 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

After looking at this mornings 8:00 AM advisory I think Navigator will be fine and probably just have to do a Sea Day on Saturday as where else could it go? Now for Mariner that I am not sure because it has to sail south directly towards the storm.. Obviously I have no idea what Royal is going to do but I think Navigator is good to go but not sure about Mariner.. 

As someone on Mariner this weekend, I have no idea where the ship could go to escape the storm.

I think ultimately it will come down to how intense the storm is when it reaches Bahamas/Florida. If it gets ripped up by Hispaniola,  it will be a glorified rain maker and we will just have crummy weather.

If it's closer to a Cat 1 storm, totally different story.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

As someone on Mariner this weekend, I have no idea where the ship could go to escape the storm.

I think ultimately it will come down to how intense the storm is when it reaches Bahamas/Florida. If it gets ripped up by Hispaniola,  it will be a glorified rain maker and we will just have crummy weather.

If it's closer to a Cat 1 storm, totally different story.

Yeah its just so unpredictable. I see Navigator basically having to do a Sea Day going in circles on Saturday lol.. Sunday not sure if it could possibly do Coco Cay with Mariner? Its just so unpredictable. I Think Navigator is going to leave. It really has no reason not to but again Mariner baffles me lol. 

1 hour ago, AGSLC5 said:

Yeah its just so unpredictable. I see Navigator basically having to do a Sea Day going in circles on Saturday lol.. Sunday not sure if it could possibly do Coco Cay with Mariner? Its just so unpredictable. I Think Navigator is going to leave. It really has no reason not to but again Mariner baffles me lol. 

On Sunday Navigator is already sharing the pier at CocoCay with Empress.  They could divert Empress to make room for Mariner or just send Mariner to Nassau.  

Both Nassau and CocoCay are easy overnight trips from Florida so either would be suitable for a Monday morning turn-around.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

On Sunday Navigator is already sharing the pier at CocoCay with Empress.  They could divert Empress to make room for Mariner or just send Mariner to Nassau.  

Both Nassau and CocoCay are easy overnight trips from Florida so either would be suitable for a Monday morning turn-around.

I am on Navigator this weekend coming up.. We are scheduled for Coco Cay on Saturday not Sunday.. I am thinking they will have to make Saturday a Sea day and I am hoping on Sunday we could do Coco Cay.. No matter what I am going even if they have to cancel all ports and they are all sea days I just care about being on the ship.. 

35 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

I am on Navigator this weekend coming up.. We are scheduled for Coco Cay on Saturday not Sunday.. I am thinking they will have to make Saturday a Sea day and I am hoping on Sunday we could do Coco Cay.. No matter what I am going even if they have to cancel all ports and they are all sea days I just care about being on the ship.. 

Chances of them kicking Empress off on Sunday to make room?  Not a bad option.  Empress has an early departure to make San Juan.  Give her the boot and she can have two sea days to San Juan and free up a berth at CocoCay for 2.5x the number of guests.

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

Chances of them kicking Empress off on Sunday to make room?  Not a bad option.  Empress has an early departure to make San Juan.  Give her the boot and she can have two sea days to San Juan and free up a berth at CocoCay for 2.5x the number of guests.

Thats exactly what I was hoping for/ thinking... I strongly feel Navigator and Symphony will be able to sail..Especially Navigator as it leaves Friday and the storm is still  far away Friday.. BUT I am not sure about Matt and Mariner. I feel like it would have to sail right into the storm.. I am very lucky though I live in Florida so whenever Royal decides to make the announcement I am OK with that because I don't have to worry about flights or hotels.. 

Royal Caribbean sent an update by Chief Meteorologist James Van Fleet, letting passengers with stops at Coco Cay that due to Dorian the island will be closing as of today afternoon until Sept. 4th.. Just a heads up for anyone  going on these dates!

coco cay 2.jpg

Are the people that are on cruises leaving Aug 30th actually getting emails from Royal Caribbean?  I'm supposed to leave on a cruise this Friday and haven't gotten one email from Royal Caribbean saying anything.  I didn't even get an email about them closing CocoCay.  Did you guys???  At this point, personally, I hope they just give us an option to cancel and get our money back, sooner than later.  I need to cancel my flight by tomorrow morning at 7:00am....

7 minutes ago, arabucki said:

Are the people that are on cruises leaving Aug 30th actually getting emails from Royal Caribbean?  I'm supposed to leave on a cruise this Friday and haven't gotten one email from Royal Caribbean saying anything.  I didn't even get an email about them closing CocoCay.  Did you guys???  At this point, personally, I hope they just give us an option to cancel and get our money back, sooner than later.  I need to cancel my flight by tomorrow morning at 7:00am....

I received the above email about CocoCay closing and many of my cruising group did as well.  

Royal held internal meetings this morning to discuss options.  I imagine at this point some decisions have been made or will be shortly and they will begin communicating changes and options to the call center agents so they can be prepared when guest start calling in.  They've indicated we should expect a 3pm ET update today, just over two hours from now.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:55 PM, twangster said:

It's too early to know.  Right now the projected track is changing which is quite normal for a tropical system.  

If the forecast for it becoming a tropical depression holds true, they likely won't cancel.  A depression is typically just heavy rain with some wind.  Strong thunderstorms all summer long produce tropical depression like conditions so there would be no reason to cancel the cruise because of some heavy rain for a few hours.

I’m in navegator of the sea and our trip to coco cay was Cancel due to hurricane today 8/28/19 and the only thing they offer us was 25 % onboard credit for the next cruise but I have family coming from another country they will not have the chance to use that credit. If you can cancel cancel now because they just told us they will open coco cay  9/7/19 so we pay all this money to go to coco cay and we lost it and we just sit out in the ocean with not pool because is not working my kids are going crazy because it’s nothing to do. Call them and inquire about your trip to coco cay. 

20 minutes ago, arabucki said:

I am on Mariner on Friday and did not receive the CocoCay letter, or anything else.

Big update supposed to be coming by 3pm Eastern today.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I am on Mariner on Friday and did not receive the CocoCay letter, or anything else.

Big update supposed to be coming by 3pm Eastern today.

Coco cay it’s cancel until 9/7/19 because of hurricane I’m on navigator of the sea and was supposed to be on coco cay today and the cancel it and only offer us 25 % onboard credit for the next cruise it’s sucks because we pay a lot of money to be at coco cay and we are stuck in the middle of the ocean doing nothing. The main attraction was cancel and we didn’t get nothing on return. If you can cancel and get a refund do it now. 

21 minutes ago, Henry said:

I’m in navegator of the sea and our trip to coco cay was Cancel due to hurricane today 8/28/19 and the only thing they offer us was 25 % onboard credit for the next cruise but I have family coming from another country they will not have the chance to use that credit. If you can cancel cancel now because they just told us they will open coco cay  9/7/19 so we pay all this money to go to coco cay and we lost it and we just sit out in the ocean with not pool because is not working my kids are going crazy because it’s nothing to do. Call them and inquire about your trip to coco cay. 

Royal can't control the weather and a 25% FCC is very generous considering this isn't their fault and they are not obligated to provide any compensation when mother nature turns ugly.

I for one still plan on boarding on Friday and will enjoy whatever destination we end up sailing to.  I'll be on a cruise with like minded friends who all plan to cruise as long as they will let us get on the ship.    

Good for you. but  royal Caribbean knew way ahead of time we was not going to be able to go to coco cay and still allow the cruise to continue. I’m monitoring this storm way before we sail and I leave in miami I knew we were on the path of the hurricane with a lot anticipation so royal Caribbean knew too. And yes it’s not enough because I pay premium and a lot of money just to go to coco cay. I could get another cruise for half of what I pay if I want just be on the ship and do nothing.  But hope you enjoy your vacation. And if they cancel it and don’t give nothing back you should be ok and graceful to royal Caribbean for your amazing vacation. 

7 minutes ago, Henry said:

Good for you. but  royal Caribbean knew way ahead of time we was not going to be able to go to coco cay and still allow the cruise to continue. I’m monitoring this storm way before we sail and I leave in miami I knew we were on the path of the hurricane with a lot anticipation so royal Caribbean knew too. And yes it’s not enough because I pay premium and a lot of money just to go to coco cay. I could get another cruise for half of what I pay if I want just be on the ship and do nothing.  But hope you enjoy your vacation. And if they cancel it and don’t give nothing back you should be ok and graceful to royal Caribbean for your amazing vacation. 

Not denying it sucks. I live in a hurricane area and been through some awful storms.

When we book a cruise during hurricane season this is what can happen. 25% for a weather event is pretty damn good. At the end of the day Royal Caribbean is a business and if as long as they look out for safety this is what cruise lines do...

37 minutes ago, Henry said:

Good for you. but  royal Caribbean knew way ahead of time we was not going to be able to go to coco cay and still allow the cruise to continue.

You are mistaken. Hindsight is 20/20 and to blame Royal Caribbean in any way for not being able to predict future weather with 100% preciseness is plain silly. Frankly, you're being extremely unrealistic.

In my opinion Royal should offer their guests either a voucher for a future cruise with them or a full refund. Jeopardizing their passengers safety to maybe still sail doesn’t seem like a good decision to me. My problem is I see they are now waiting until tomorrow at 3PM to make a decision on Navigator that leaves Friday. This totally screws me on being able to cancel my flight as there is a 24hr cancel policy for that upon which I would need to cancel by 7am tomorrow. So I’m basically just screwed....I understand it’s hurricane season and no one can control the weather but the fact that I haven’t gotten one email update the entire time and am going to be out a lot of money has me a little pissed!!!! 

Just now, arabucki said:

In my opinion Royal should offer their guests either a voucher for a future cruise with them or a full refund. Jeopardizing their passengers safety to maybe still sail doesn’t seem like a good decision to me. My problem is I see they are now waiting until tomorrow at 3PM to make a decision on Navigator that leaves Friday. This totally screws me on being able to cancel my flight as there is a 24hr cancel policy for that upon which I would need to cancel by 7am tomorrow. So I’m basically just screwed....I understand it’s hurricane season and no one can control the weather but the fact that I haven’t gotten one email update the entire time and am going to be out a lot of money has me a little pissed!!!! 

It's a no-win situation for RC. 

You're right and by waiting RC, is trying to salvage cruises but at the risk of your own travel plans. But remember, if they cancel and storm ends up going elsewhere, then people will be upset their vacations are cancelled. Heck, there are people that would be upset cruise is cancelled even if the storm track takes it right in the middle of the cruise path!

If they go ahead with sailing, people will be upset because they think RC should have cancelled.

It's a no-win situation for RC. 

I certainly feel for you and your situation and I dont think anyone blames you for being frustrated.

5 minutes ago, arabucki said:

IF the storm continues on the path where you were landing, the airlines typically will waive cancellation fees due to the storm as well.