JS no longer have access to CK

14 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

One possible solution would be for them to change the name of the “junior suite”  to maybe “extra large room with balcony”, take away all the perks, and adjust the price down accordingly.

I'm skeptical that Royal would do such a thing. They actually took what was the family panoramic ocean view cabin on Adventure and a few other ships and upgraded that to a family oceanview suite with full benefits equivalent to a GS. And there are only a couple of those, maybe even only 1, on each of the affected ships.

If Royal is going to expand the full suites to include a room that has no balcony at all, just a panoramic window view, I can't imagine that they'd then take away the Jr. Suites. Take away some of the benefits of a JS, sure, but not eliminate them wholesale. Too much revenue to lose in a category that routinely sells out, and too many people willing to pay the premium to get the double points along with the extra space and in-room amenities even on ships without a CK.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:45 AM, Louvanh said:

Royal created this problem and now playing catch up. They have for a long time catered to loyalty guests. Grandeur regulars have seen the drooling that goes on for Pinnacles. I was in a cruise where the world about ended to give a Pinnacle their pins. Stopped a show and dining room announcement. 

Suite guests pay a lot more for rooms. Those rooms generate a lot more revenue with less people. Celebrity sees the value in keeping suite guests happy and Royal finally sees that they have to do the same. 

If I want amenities I pay for them with suite rooms not loyalty. The loyalty perks are not a given they are now a thorn in Royals side.  They are trying to figure out how to fix the monster they created. 

Too many generalizations.....I know many Pinnacle Members that only cruise in Suites, to have sailed 700 days deserves perks and that's why RC have the most repeat customers and the most high cruising passengers. The whole reason Diamond Members got access to the CL back in the day started because the Suites were not using the lounge....they sat empty....CK is the same, many times they limit Pinnacle Members access....then it sits empty and they start booking the Pinnacles again....

I don't think Royal  has created a problem, they created an amazing business model that fills there ships with a diverse population and each year the build another ship and fill it too....this in part is there loyalty program....and they way many many people chase points to the next level.....it's actually quite genius.

I'm not so sure a Suite generates more revenue....it's the passengers that actually generate the revenue and it's easy to see that volume works with revenue generation because the ship have been carrying more and more passengers. Lets look at this way...... Suite is 500sqft (Premium Realestate plus perks) and 2 people pay $6000 or to have 3 Interior rooms at 150sqft (space that cant be used for anything more than storage, no perks) that pay $2000 each cabin (2 passengers)...so 450sqft brings in $6000 plus you have 4 extra people to buy drinks, shopping, tours and specialty restaurants...I think the sweet spot is about 5000 passengers….

I think Royal know exactly what it's doing and that's why they own a few different brands, Celebrity, Azamara, Silver Seas etc. each one has it's following and cliental.

Just my 2 cents.

18 hours ago, Rob&Ana said:

Suite is 500sqft (Premium Realestate plus perks) and 2 people pay $6000 or to have 3 Interior rooms at 150sqft (space that cant be used for anything more than storage, no perks) that pay $2000 each

If anyone is actually paying $2,000 for an inside cabin then they or their travel agent are being seriously ripped off; I don't recall ever seeing an inside cabin priced that high before my Celebrity booking for the Iceland and Greenland sailing, and it only hit that point as the ship sold out very early but demand kept climbing. On Royal the inside cabin price seems to range between $500 and $1,000 depending on the itinerary and ship.

Maybe you meant balcony or OV, but even there $2,000 seems on the high side. I paid about $1,250 per for a bump-out balcony on my 8-night Freedom sailing last year, and my upcoming Bermuda trip on Anthem (5 nights) was just over $700 per for a bump-out balcony. Once you get to a ship class like Oasis or Quantum that has balconies out the wazoo, you often find them priced only a couple hundred per person higher than the inside cabins for the same itinerary, often below inside pricing as they try to fill the ship.

3 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

Actually I was looking at some options today and for a couple of December sailings on one of the oasis class sailings (I looked at several and don’t remember which ship or sailing) an ocean view suite was over $2k pp while a balcony was less than $1k pp.   I was shocked-made no sense

This is because the algorithm Royal uses to set prices works on a supply and demand basis...if no one  books Balcony's they drop the price and raise the price of the what is selling. On the Oasis Class ships there are so many Balconies that this can happen a lot.

3 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

Actually I was looking at some options today and for a couple of December sailings on one of the oasis class sailings (I looked at several and don’t remember which ship or sailing) an ocean view suite was over $2k pp while a balcony was less than $1k pp.   I was shocked-made no sense

Twice now with Anthem, I have seen the price of balconies go below the price of an inside cabin inside 30 days from final payment as well as in the weeks after final payment. Oasis class has a ton of balconies relative to other room categories, but Quantum class has the balance skewed even more!

10 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Why in general are Junior suites treated like the red headed step child of suites? There is a premium to booking one so I son't get it.

I reason that what you're really paying for with that premium is the doubled Crown & Anchor points you get in the room, with the extra space / larger balcony / better bathroom space as the secondary cost factor. Certainly that's how it has to be looked at on non-Oasis / non-Quantum class ships; they're basically a means to rapidly climb the C&A ladder and get a modestly nicer cabin than you'd get with a regular balcony.

Sea class perks on the O and Q class ships do take it up a notch, which is nice when the price premium doesn't jump that much vs other ships. And if you think that Royal treats the JS cabins like a redheaded stepchild, take a look at NCL's "Mini Suite" cabins -- those are truly just a glorified balcony cabin, carry no perks at all from what I remember the one time I looked at them, and by all accounts I've read don't deserve the word "suite" in the name at all; "Ultra-spacious OV Balcony" would be far more accurate.

16 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Why in general are Junior suites treated like the red headed step child of suites? There is a premium to booking one so I son't get it.

From my understanding, JS are not really "true" suites as they do not have full suite benefits.  I am assuming that is why they get the lowest priority when it comes to Coastal Kitchen.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

From my understanding, JS are not really "true" suites as they do not have full suite benefits.  I am assuming that is why they get the lowest priority when it comes to Coastal Kitchen.

I just looked at the cruise we have booked on Oasis next year. Junior suite is 5,800 bucks for a 7 day cruise, a regular balcony was 3,300 bucks. Its a premium and they kick you in the face every chance they get and treat you like a second class citizen. I LOVE Royal Caribbean but this really annoys me. Sorry that is just how I feel.

11 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I mean this with total respect. You shouldn't be the least bit annoyed.  If you don't like the price, get a balcony room and spend the rest to get what you want. I would bet that the full suites on that cruise are much higher. It really is all about supply and demand  but the ultimate choice is always yours.

Every room costs more. This is a premium, 2,500 bucks more and its annoying the way this room is treated. I just don't like it. I never booked one but I just see things like this and I don't like it. We did have a Grand suite once on Explorer and it was INCREDIBLE. What an awesome room. 9 days Explorer to Canada/NE. What an incredible cruise that was. We get a regular balcony all the time except once we had a Promenade room which we actually loved. That was a fun room close to the action being right in the heart of the ship. Next month we are on Anthemn regular balcony but next May Oasis in a Central Park view room. Its all good, I LOVE Royal, I just don't like how Junior suites are treated.

They charge what people will pay. I remember when they were building Harmony and putting it in Florida with two other Oasis ships. I thought they would saturate the market and prices would drop. Time sure has proven me wrong. Never underestimate what people are willing to pay for discretionary things. You will probably be proven wrong too.

37 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I mean this with total respect. You shouldn't be the least bit annoyed.  If you don't like the price, get a balcony room and spend the rest to get what you want. I would bet that the full suites on that cruise are much higher. It really is all about supply and demand  but the ultimate choice is always yours.

I was just going to say that the jump from JS to GS is typically $1500-$2000 on OA class ships.

@RCIfan1912 I get what you are saying though.  I have always felt it hard to justify a JS since it doesn't have full Sky class benefits.  There have been a few times where I have booked a JS and made the jump to GS or above after final payment.  That softens the blow a bit because there is usually a bit of a drop in price.

I guess the main thing is are you happy with the extra perks each category offers....I know many people that just can't sail in anything less than JS...they need the walk-in closet and bathtub....others say it's because of the double points....

Lucky we have lots of different categories on ships so everyone can buy what suits them best. It's great to have a choice.

22 hours ago, Rob&Ana said:

I guess the main thing is are you happy with the extra perks each category offers....I know many people that just can't sail in anything less than JS...they need the walk-in closet and bathtub....others say it's because of the double points....

Lucky we have lots of different categories on ships so everyone can buy what suits them best. It's great to have a choice.

I like the way you're thinking about this