JS no longer have access to CK

That would not surprise me if eventually it went to that.  Other than Anthem, all other JS guests on Oasis class ships have had trouble sometimes getting into CK every night.  In fact, I have heard on most OA class ships, they will only take JS reservations by the day, upon availability. I've heard/read many reports over the past year of people in JS not being able to get all 7 days, sometimes just one or two nights.  In fact, that is what drove me to get out of our JS booking on Symphony last month.

I saw post from an Ovation guest who boarded and read in the Cruise Compass that Coastal Kitchen is for Sky and Star Class Suites so she didn't try.  Bad choice for her not to pursue it because as of right now Coastal Kitchen dinner is still included for JS on Ovation.  All she had to do as a JS guest was go there like other JS guests did.

The confusion comes from how different ships handle this.  While Ovation Cruise compass says Sky and Star Class, Anthem reads All Suites.  Oasis is different again.  Then once on board sometimes a JS can make reservation for the week on one ship but only one night at a time on another ship.  Typical Royal Caribbean, every ship is different.

As of right now it's still a stated benefit of Sea Class (JS):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-rooms/royal-suite-class

1444309229_RoyalSuiteClass.jpeg.655a401de7ab4809160399faac286df4.jpeg

3 hours ago, twangster said:

I saw post from an Ovation guest who boarded and read in the Cruise Compass that Coastal Kitchen is for Sky and Star Class Suites so she didn't try.  Bad choice for her not to pursue it because as of right now Coastal Kitchen dinner is still included for JS on Ovation.  All she had to do as a JS guest was go there like other JS guests did.

The confusion comes from how different ships handle this.  While Ovation Cruise compass says Sky and Star Class, Anthem reads All Suites.  Oasis is different again.  Then once on board sometimes a JS can make reservation for the week on one ship but only one night at a time on another ship.  Typical Royal Caribbean, every ship is different.

As of right now it's still a stated benefit of Sea Class (JS):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-rooms/royal-suite-class

1444309229_RoyalSuiteClass.jpeg.655a401de7ab4809160399faac286df4.jpeg

This is where I first saw the news... I had a friend on Ovation tell me they were only allowed if space was available....someone from Royal told him that it was in the works to remove the JS from this perk.

12 minutes ago, Rob&Ana said:

This is where I first saw the news... I had a friend on Ovation tell me they were only allowed if space was available....someone from Royal told him that it was in the works to remove the JS from this perk.

I hear so many rumors it's not worth repeating them.  

As the Pinnacles number grow they will need to do something.  I've heard a rumor that Pinnacle will get the boot from CK to make room for suite guests.  Which is correct?

Until Royal announces it publically and updates the website each ship will implement their own policy as they see fit.

Some ships do so by not making it obvious for JS guests to realize they paid for this benefit.  Weekly I see a FB post from someone who doesn't know any better so this approach seems to work for some ships.

Economically it's a pretty significant jump in money room a JS to a GS on a Oasis Class Ship. On my OAS cruise early 2020 it is a 2K jump in price for just over 100sqft in size so the perks have to warrant the 2K up charge. I guess it depends on what 2K means to you on a vacation?

If they took it away that wouldn't stop me from getting a JS if it fit my cruise goals. I am not a big foodie so it doesn't bother me to go to the Windjammer or the MDR. I am sure the decision has more to do with accommodating the Sky, Star, and Pinnacles more than the JS crowd. If it gets too crowded the first to go is the bottom of the ladder rung - the JS crowd.  Off to the galley they throw me...row-boy-row  ? 

First world problem - right!

I was on the Ovation this past July 19 in Alaska and did not have trouble getting into dinner any night and I stayed in a Junior suite. It was my first experience was Coastal Kitchen so I don’t have anything else to compare it to. I wonder if other sailing are different 

So not to hijack anything, but this would mean the benefits for staying in a JS would be:

Double C&A Points
A bathrobe
Dedicated Check-in (moving to online)
Priority Boarding
In-room Coffee/Tea
AND not to forget better smelling soap

With a bathrobe, check-in, and priority boarding being C&A perks anyways, it looks like the perks of a JS are becoming less and less. And I could really be wrong since I've not been in either of these rooms (looking for a JS now for a couple upcoming sailings), but aren't Spacious Interiors & Balcony Rooms much the same size? I'm not sure if we'll ever get to that GS level, but I do look forward to the day of having a special sailing in a JS! ?

1 hour ago, Ala_Paul said:

So not to hijack anything, but this would mean the benefits for staying in a JS would be:

Double C&A Points

In-room Coffee/Tea

but aren't Spacious Interiors & Balcony Rooms much the same size? 

Double points are great if you are close to the next level and it'll put you over.

The last two times we had a JS we never used the in-room coffee pot.  It never really looked "clean" to me.  My son did try it once while we were out, and it made a huge mess.  He does know how to make coffee (he's an adult) so I know it wasn't user error.  LOL 

That may vary by ship.  If you compare the square footage for the ship you are considering you'll get a better idea.  Usually, a JS is 1.5 times a balcony. 

21 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That would not surprise me if eventually it went to that.  Other than Anthem, all other JS guests on Oasis class ships have had trouble sometimes getting into CK every night.  In fact, I have heard on most OA class ships, they will only take JS reservations by the day, upon availability. I've heard/read many reports over the past year of people in JS not being able to get all 7 days, sometimes just one or two nights.  In fact, that is what drove me to get out of our JS booking on Symphony last month.

Currently in a JR on Harmony for December 2020 and I just cannot pull the trigger on Grand Suite, it's a 2K jump. That's the price of another cruise (in a balcony stateroom) we might take with friends this time next year! 

11 hours ago, Tim B. said:

Economically it's a pretty significant jump in money room a JS to a GS on a Oasis Class Ship. On my OAS cruise early 2020 it is a 2K jump in price for just over 100sqft in size so the perks have to warrant the 2K up charge. I guess it depends on what 2K means to you on a vacation?

If they took it away that wouldn't stop me from getting a JS if it fit my cruise goals. I am not a big foodie so it doesn't bother me to go to the Windjammer or the MDR. I am sure the decision has more to do with accommodating the Sky, Star, and Pinnacles more than the JS crowd. If it gets too crowded the first to go is the bottom of the ladder rung - the JS crowd.  Off to the galley they throw me...row-boy-row  ? 

First world problem - right!

Same, it's about 2K jump on my Harmony cruise and while it's comparable to the Grand Suite on a per day basis as my upcoming Anthem sailing, it's easier on Anthem due to 5 vs 7 days. As of right now, the main reason for the JR on Harmony December 2020 has zero to do with CK, double points or any thing else. Just want an extra large balcony room to relax for my wife's - ummm 29th - birthday. 

2 hours ago, Ala_Paul said:

Double C&A Points
A bathrobe
Dedicated Check-in (moving to online)
Priority Boarding
In-room Coffee/Tea
AND not to forget better smelling soap

With a bathrobe, check-in, and priority boarding being C&A perks anyways, it looks like the perks of a JS are becoming less and less. And I could really be wrong since I've not been in either of these rooms (looking for a JS now for a couple upcoming sailings), but aren't Spacious Interiors & Balcony Rooms much the same size? I'm not sure if we'll ever get to that GS level, but I do look forward to the day of having a special sailing in a JS! ?

Think this is why Matt has said in his podcasts a Jr Suite shouldn't even be in the Suite category but just an extra large balcony cabin.

33 minutes ago, DMLM said:

The other nice thing about a JS for families with small kids is the bathtub.  that is what got us started on the JS.  My little kids at the time really enjoyed the bath and we enjoyed the room size/double points.  It worked out well. 

D

That's a big draw for me. We have a 7-month-old, and I'm interested in Royal allowing you to put a 5th person in the room if they're under 3. A bathtub would be nice as well. Those C&A points are a big draw for me too!

14 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Currently in a JR on Harmony for December 2020 and I just cannot pull the trigger on Grand Suite, it's a 2K jump. That's the price of another cruise (in a balcony stateroom) we might take with friends this time next year! 

Same, it's about 2K jump on my Harmony cruise and while it's comparable to the Grand Suite on a per day basis as my upcoming Anthem sailing, it's easier on Anthem due to 5 vs 7 days. As of right now, the main reason for the JR on Harmony December 2020 has zero to do with CK, double points or any thing else. Just want an extra large balcony room to relax for my wife's - ummm 29th - birthday. 

Think this is why Matt has said in his podcasts a Jr Suite shouldn't even be in the Suite category but just an extra large balcony cabin.

I agree.  A JS is basically just a larger balcony cabin with a little extra space and double points.  I think that the $1500-2000 difference between the JS and the GS is pretty typical from the prices that I have looked at.  It was about that for Symphony as well.  Sometimes, closer to sailing you get lucky and the price gap becomes less.  That is usually when we make the jump.  What it really comes down to is that we are all different types of cruisers.  Only you can decide what amount is worth the jump.  It's hard to quantify because each person values different things while cruising.  The trick is to know what you like and go from there.

Just now, Ala_Paul said:

I'm interested in Royal allowing you to put a 5th person in the room if they're under 3. 

I don't know about the JS but I have heard of one case where they allowed this for a Star Loft suite.  The child was under 2 at the time of sailing.  Obviously, it also depends on if the ship has maxed out on it's life boat capacity or not.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I agree.  A JS is basically just a larger balcony cabin with a little extra space and double points.  I think that the $1500-2000 difference between the JS and the GS is pretty typical from the prices that I have looked at.  It was about that for Symphony as well.  Sometimes, closer to sailing you get lucky and the price gap becomes less.  That is usually when we make the jump.  What it really comes down to is that we are all different types of cruisers.  Only you can decide what amount is worth the jump.  It's hard to quantify because each person values different things while cruising.  The trick is to know what you like and go from there.

100%. I'm not against 2k in jump, it's a fair price, but we are trying to book two cruises next year. Hey if I can find 2k-ish in my 2020 cruise budget, I'd do it all day. Especially since this is a milestone bday for her.

On 8/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

... JS guests on Oasis class ships have had trouble sometimes getting into CK every night.  In fact, I have heard on most OA class ships, they will only take JS reservations by the day, upon availability.

Was my experience 2 year ago on Alure, I actually couldn't get in at all or lets just say after the 5th straight day in a row I gave up trying those last 2 days.  The part that bothered me the most was that I had booked approx 2 years prior and there had been no talk of JS being "Space Available" and at the time I couldn't find that anywhere is Royal literature.  So I never was able to experience CK and really didn't like the Oasis Class ship that much, especially having to book your shows which to me defeated the purpose of a leisurely cruise vacation.

As far as I am aware, CK for JS has always been “space available”.  I love the extra space and walk-in closet (most ships) of a JS and the double points. If I want a guaranteed seat in CK for breakfast and dinner, I book a GS or higher.  I personally find it distasteful to beg to be allowed into the CK. Half the time you have to bang at the door to even be let in.  No thanks.  If I want in, I will pay to be there with no questions asked or limitations. 

As a first time RC cruiser, I am disappointed to read this thread. We are booked in a JS primarily for the added space (travelling with 2 children), and access to CK sort of clinched the deal. I did not see anywhere any disclaimers related to this. 

I feel that I need to lower my expectations towards our Allure cruise early December. First an itinerary change, then possibility of no access to CK. What more disappointments are there to come? 

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I personally find it distasteful to beg to be allowed into the CK. Half the time you have to bang at the door to even be let in.  No thanks.  

^^^ I could not agree more with this.  I also hated doing this.  Anthem does it better where the podium is outside of CK and you don't feel like a second class citizen.

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As far as I am aware, CK for JS has always been “space available”.  I love the extra space and walk-in closet (most ships) of a JS and the double points. If I want a guaranteed seat in CK for breakfast and dinner, I book a GS or higher.  I personally find it distasteful to beg to be allowed into the CK. Half the time you have to bang at the door to even be let in.  No thanks.  If I want in, I will pay to be there with no questions asked or limitations. 

50 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

^^^ I could not agree more with this.  I also hated doing this.  Anthem does it better where the podium is outside of CK and you don't feel like a second class citizen.

I've only experienced CK on Anthem and was GS, my Oasis class days was back in 2010 and 2012 on Oasis and didn't sail a suite. I am surprised they don't activate the card for dinner hours so you can enter, see when (if at all) they can seat you for dinner, it's totally possible. (It is card access correct?) 

47 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I've only experienced CK on Anthem and was GS, my Oasis class days was back in 2010 and 2012 on Oasis and didn't sail a suite. I am surprised they don't activate the card for dinner hours so you can enter, see when (if at all) they can seat you for dinner, it's totally possible. (It is card access correct?) 

It’s card access but JS cards have no access. Someone would have to open the door for you. The hostess podium is inside so it makes it pretty awkward.

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It’s card access but JS cards have no access. Someone would have to open the door for you. The hostess podium is inside so it makes it pretty awkward.

From my time configuring card access systems I see no reason they cannot activate it during dinner hours. I'd feel weird knocking on the door too.

5 hours ago, niksal said:

As a first time RC cruiser, I am disappointed to read this thread. We are booked in a JS primarily for the added space (travelling with 2 children), and access to CK sort of clinched the deal. I did not see anywhere any disclaimers related to this. 

I feel that I need to lower my expectations towards our Allure cruise early December. First an itinerary change, then possibility of no access to CK. What more disappointments are there to come? 

That was the main problem I had.  I guess I hadn't noticed on any of the forums that CK was space A for JS.  If it states that specifically in RCCL literature I sure never saw it.  Although we love the extra room and tub in a JS I might not have sprung for a JS on that cruise had I known I could not I had a chance of not getting into CK for dinner.  It is the only time in all our RCCL cruises I have really been unsatisfied.

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I personally find it distasteful to beg to be allowed into the CK. Half the time you have to bang at the door to even be let in. 

I agree so i just camped out till the door opened then went to the podium.

After more thought on this topic, it wouldn't surprise me if they did away with CK and made it another paid restaurant to eliminate all problems associated with who gets in over Suites vs Pinnacles and JS guests. Remove CK, problem solved..paid restaurant..more income..win win for Royal Caribbean.

4 minutes ago, mworkman said:

After more thought on this topic, it wouldn't surprise me if they did away with CK and made it another paid restaurant to eliminate all problems associated with who gets in over Suites vs Pinnacles and JS guests. Remove CK, problem solved..paid restaurant..more income..win win for Royal Caribbean.

I think they are more inclined to make it Suite only and ban Pinnacles.  Or adopt a limit on Pinnacles like they do on elite heavy sailings, something like 2 visits max per week.  Problem solved.

The Royal Suite program generates a lot of revenue and is in place partly because of the competition.  Eliminating a suite restaurant would be a huge competitive disadvantage.  

It's only been around since 2016 so it's new.  Three years is hardly a long time so they'll likely adapt it before getting rid of it.

They certainly could do that but the suites restaurant is kind of a standard suites amenity these days. I think it would be a step backward for Royal to eliminate a Suites restaurant. My hunch is that eventually the suites restaurant will be exclusive to suites guests the way it is on Celebrity and there will be other options for loyalty members much like what they’re doing on Allure next week.

Royal has put a lot of money and effort into upgrading their suites experience. I find it very hard to imagine that they would remove one of the stand-out amenities.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

I think they are more inclined to make it Suite only and ban Pinnacles.  Or adopt a limit on Pinnacles like they do on elite heavy sailings, something like 2 visits max per week.  Problem solved.

The Royal Suite program generates a lot of revenue and is in place partly because of the competition.  Eliminating a suite restaurant would be a huge competitive disadvantage.  

It's only been around since 2016 so it's new.  Three years is hardly a long time so they'll likely adapt it before getting rid of it.

You beat me to the “submit” button !

It's really Pinnacle that are the problem, no offensive to any Pinnacles as I hope to be there soon.  

Other than repositioning cruises Quantum Class rarely has this problem and Oasis class when outside of Florida doesn't have this problem.  Florida has the highest concentration of Pinnacle residents anywhere.  Some Pinnacles only cruise or mostly cruise Oasis class because of this benefit and since they live in Florida, why not?

How will a Pinnacle react?  Threaten to cruise elsewhere but will they really?  Go to another line with no or some status or will they just accept the change after whining a while and get on with cruising?

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's really Pinnacle that are the problem, no offensive to any Pinnacles as I hope to be there soon.  

Other than repositioning cruises Quantum Class rarely has this problem and Oasis class when outside of Florida doesn't have this problem.  Florida has the highest concentration of Pinnacle residents anywhere.  Some Pinnacles only cruise or mostly cruise Oasis class because of this benefit and since they live in Florida, why not?

How will a Pinnacle react?  Threaten to cruise elsewhere but will they really?  Go to another line with no or some status or will they just accept the change after whining a while and get on with cruising?

Is RC partly to blame for making the benefits of top loyalty too good? I agree with you @twangster I don't believe that many Pinnacles will leave over this. Although they may be mad, who wouldn't be about losing out on a benefit that they have worked for and enjoyed in the past, but are they willing to throw it all away and start over? I don't think so.

I think Royal's intentions were good, it's just that in reality their program won't work indefinitely. It's a little like a Ponzi scheme.  It's all fine when few get the benefits. Eventually,  the system changes or collapses. I think we are close to change. It's a business and they have to make a profit. They know who generates revenue and who doesn't.  In the end, it will be those that generate revenue that will be catered to. It has to be that way or you go bankrupt. 

Royal created this problem and now playing catch up. They have for a long time catered to loyalty guests. Grandeur regulars have seen the drooling that goes on for Pinnacles. I was in a cruise where the world about ended to give a Pinnacle their pins. Stopped a show and dining room announcement. 

Suite guests pay a lot more for rooms. Those rooms generate a lot more revenue with less people. Celebrity sees the value in keeping suite guests happy and Royal finally sees that they have to do the same. 

If I want amenities I pay for them with suite rooms not loyalty. The loyalty perks are not a given they are now a thorn in Royals side.  They are trying to figure out how to fix the monster they created. 

This is an ongoing debate as to who is more entitled: Suite guests or Pinnacle. I think the answer is both are entitled to their own set of privileges. I don't particularly have a vested interest as I have taken around 30 cruises with RCCL, mostly in Grand Suite or above, and am currently just 50 points away from Pinnacle. I have been happy to receive Suite level perks but will also expect some meaningful perks when I reach Pinnacle. It is quite an achievement. After all, the revenue that Royal has had from me (or from anyone in non-suite rooms taking 60 plus cruises) is just as real as the amount generated from a person taking one cruise in a Suite.

Privileges are always paid for one way or another.

I agree that the number of people in the upper levels of the loyalty programme is a problem and some privileges have been removed over time, accordingly. Nevertheless, one of the differentiators between Royal and other cruise lines is the quality of that loyalty programme. To reduce that too far may well be counterproductive. So I hope they can find a balance that retains the equivalent value of loyalty privileges whilst addressing the overcrowding issues. 

20 minutes ago, JohnUK said:

This is an ongoing debate as to who is more entitled: Suite guests or Pinnacle. I think the answer is both are entitled to their own set of privileges. I don't particularly have a vested interest as I have taken around 30 cruises with RCCL, mostly in Grand Suite or above, and am currently just 50 points away from Pinnacle. I have been happy to receive Suite level perks but will also expect some meaningful perks when I reach Pinnacle. It is quite an achievement. After all, the revenue that Royal has had from me (or from anyone in non-suite rooms taking 60 plus cruises) is just as real as the amount generated from a person taking one cruise in a Suite.

Privileges are always paid for one way or another.

I agree that the number of people in the upper levels of the loyalty programme is a problem and some privileges have been removed over time, accordingly. Nevertheless, one of the differentiators between Royal and other cruise lines is the quality of that loyalty programme. To reduce that too far may well be counterproductive. So I hope they can find a balance that retains the equivalent value of loyalty privileges whilst addressing the overcrowding issues. 

One possible solution would be for them to change the name of the “junior suite”  to maybe “extra large room with balcony”, take away all the perks, and adjust the price down accordingly.