Insurance or not

DMLM

I used to not buy cruise insurance when my wife and I were younger and the kids little.  Now my kids are teenagers and we are not getting any younger.  My fear is not so much about trip interruption or lost bags (although hat would not be good) but rather the medical side of things (like transportation).  I thankfully have not had to deal with it but you just never know and I hear that it can become very expensive on a cruise.  As a result we have bought insurance the last few cruises and just bought it again for the next one (even though we will be driving to the port).  We have been purchasing from llianz Global Assist.

I know this will be a mixed bag of views but curious if there are others who do the same and if they are using Allianz Prime?

Thanks.

D

Hi DMLM. We use tripinsurancestore.com to get quotes, pick our plan which is usually TravelSafe Classic (they are the only ones that do not penalize if you don't purchase for the total cost of your travel), pay and we're done. I always purchase within the "no look back" period. My last purchase was for an upcoming Independence cruise of 5 nights and will include flight because we live in MN. I don't care much about losing the cost of the trip only want to make sure I have medical coverage. We are in our late 50's with no current health issues but I feel much better spending $60 ($500 coverage for one) to make sure I am covered if needed. The team at TIS.com are wonderful to work with for any purchases or changes to your policy. I have never had to use the insurance so can comment on TravelSafe. Good luck and happy cruising!

2 hours ago, DMLM said:

I used to not buy cruise insurance when my wife and I were younger and the kids little.  Now my kids are teenagers and we are not getting any younger.  My fear is not so much about trip interruption or lost bags (although hat would not be good) but rather the medical side of things (like transportation).  I thankfully have not had to deal with it but you just never know and I hear that it can become very expensive on a cruise.  As a result we have bought insurance the last few cruises and just bought it again for the next one (even though we will be driving to the port).  We have been purchasing from llianz Global Assist.

I know this will be a mixed bag of views but curious if there are others who do the same and if they are using Allianz Prime?

Thanks.

D

We have found the medical coverage through Allianz better than Royal Caribbean's (Archer).  You can buy just medical insurance from a number of carriers, but the problems we have had previously were luggage related --either lost or delayed.  We see travel insurance as part of the cost of the cruise, and it has seemed expensive only when our trips have been overseas with air fare, cruise, and land combined.  You get what you pay for, but @ransrider  is correct about shopping around.

We have chase sapphire preferred.  Excellent coverage for delayed luggage.  $100 for a 3 hour delay.  More for longer delays.  Good medical coverage and above standard trip cancellation coverage.  Card is pricey.  $450 annual fee but $300 travel expenses reimbursement yearly.  Net $150 fee annually.  I find trip insurance well within that cost.  Plus generous points for travel and dining 

15 hours ago, DMLM said:

Thanks.

D

Insurance is the only thing people buy and hope they never use.

DD (29 now, 1st cruise age age 23) has several medical issues, 2 of which, if they occurred on a cruise, could require evacuation & hospitalization -- and because she is also mentally & physically disabled, would not be able to advocate for herself, meaning there goes everyone else's cruise. We not only get insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, we get the kind that covers everyone in the travel party if one has to be evacuated for medical reasons.  YMMV, of course, but it's a couple of hundred dollars, & well worth it for peace of mind.

As a person who works in Insurance (auto) I am all about insurance.  The medical costs will be astronomical without it.  I just picture myself walking down the stairs tripping and breaking my leg.   Getting sick is one thing but having a real issue is another.  Also you may have to be left off the ship at a port if it is that serious.  The insurance is not that expensive.  Last trip we took for three people (one minor) was about 94 dollars total.  This was for 6 nights and about 50k in coverage for medical. (we drove to port so didn't need flight added in)  You can choose your coverage.  Say you want more medical but less luggage.  The amounts vary. 

Again anything can happen, a broken bone, the flu, more serious inj.  Not worth the risk.

Before we turned 65 our medical coverage would have covered incidents outside of the US but Medicare does not.  We have the Allianz AllTrips Premier plan that covers both travel-related delays/cancellations and medical emergency and evacuations.  We just don’t feel comfortable leaving the country without protection.  It is expensive but very comprehensive so we are delighted to have it, pay for it and never need it. 

I will not cruise or travel outside the us without insurance.  While we weren't covered with our last huge issue even with the insurance, I still trust that the insurance will cover the medical if something happens... And too much can happen!  I just take the cost of insurance and consider it part of the cruise fare.  Jane