solarium question

usafun

I’m sure there must be a doctor or scientist on the forum but... I’m 99.9% positive you can’t get sun burnt through glass. You get hot, but the glass reflects the uv which causes the burning. 

Please double check with somebody who does more than build tall buildings for a living!!

While glass in general does provide some protection, and tinted glass provides a little extra protection... sunscreen is still highly recommended. 

Ever been on a long car ride, and when you get to your destination... your left forearm is slightly burnt? If you were on the driver side, it was next to the window... and still got burnt. 

The sun at the lower latitudes is no joke. No matter what my plans are each day on the ship... I always apply some sun screen before I venture out of the cabin for the day. Granted, its for two reasons... i've had some REALLY bad sun burns in my time; and I want to enjoy all 7 days of my vacation. Getting burnt on day 2 or 3.... really really really makes days 4-7 miserable. ?

2 hours ago, Nikkoo said:

I’m sure there must be a doctor or scientist on the forum but... I’m 99.9% positive you can’t get sun burnt through glass. You get hot, but the glass reflects the uv which causes the burning. 

Please double check with somebody who does more than build tall buildings for a living!!

You can definitely get sunburned through glass. Ordinary glass does not block UV rays, which cause sunburns. Unless RCL or any other window is covered in a specific UV blocking film the rays will come through. 

I'm not a doctor but work in conservation and museums where this is a real problem for artworks!

• 2 years later...

It depends if the glass is Laminated or has a U/V coating. There’s a big chance it is laminated because that’s the safest glass for skylights especially.

Laminated glass blocks nearly 100% of the uv so you will be safe in that case. It’s a good question to ask RC because unless a contractor who helped install the glass helps us answer this it’s all speculation but hopefully this was helpful.

I sincerely doubt anyone wears sunscreen in solarium out of concern for sunburns.  UVB rays are the sunburning rays and glass blocks nearly all, if not all UVB.  UVA is still skin damaging, (but not burning) and glass does not block it.  So, if sunburning is a concern, I personally would not worry about it, but if sun damage is a concern, then it cannot hurt.   

All this coming from a guy that shuns sunlight like Nosferatu.... because I hate wearing sunscreen.

My answer is....Always use sunscreen, the higher the number the better!  A scathing sunburn or even worse...skin cancer 😱...isn't worth the time you save not putting it on!  Not that using it will 100% prevent either!  I can attest to the skin cancer...my dad died from it 12 years ago...and I had it on the top of my ear which need to be removed followed by plastic surgery.