Getting from WDW hotels to Port Canaveral

EmersonNZ

My wife are book-ending our February Harmony of the Seas cruise with stays at Walt Disney World as part of our 20th Anniversary (If you are going to travel all the way from New Zealand you don't just do a cruise and head home ?).  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get from WDW to Port Canaveral? We would prefer not to hire a car so are thinking shuttles, towncars or UBER/LYFT? Does anyone have experience with a company they have used or suggestion? 

Thanks in advance

Third party shuttle services (small buses typically) will yield the most economical approach but you may find yourself on a "milk run" stopping at several hotels to pick up a few guests here or there.

Often the same companies offer private car services (sometimes called limousine service) where you are the only occupants and it's straight from resort to port.  These come at a higher cost and may be the most expensive option.

Uber/Lyft is a ride sharing service although you don't have to share the ride with anyone but you don't always know what kind of car or driver you might end up with.  People like you or me can enroll their personal car and become a driver.  So as you can imagine the results can be great or just okay.  For two people this isn't a bad choice because the total charge is for the trip, not per passenger.  Plus if you choose not to do the cheaper shared ride option then it is dedicated and direct resort to port.  A less expensive version of a limousine. 

I know you mentioned not hiring a car but Orlando is pretty much the car rental capital of the U.S. so it can be a low cost option.  If you are staying in a hotel in the Canaveral area or plan to explore such as visiting the Kennedy Space Center a car hire can give you a lot of flexibility to explore the area.  

If it's just the two of you, I would just take Uber/Lyft directly from your WDW hotel.  

If you prefer the shuttle route, then I would take the Magical Express back the airport.  Where the Magical Express drops you off, that is around the area where the cruise shuttles depart from too.  

Some of the more popular shuttles to PC are: Cortran's, Go Port Canaveral, and Smart-Two.  Unfortunately, I am pretty sure none of them pick up at WDW resorts so you would have to find a way back to MCO if you wanted to go with them.

7 hours ago, EmersonNZ said:

My wife are book-ending our February Harmony of the Seas cruise with stays at Walt Disney World as part of our 20th Anniversary (If you are going to travel all the way from New Zealand you don't just do a cruise and head home ?).  I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get from WDW to Port Canaveral? We would prefer not to hire a car so are thinking shuttles, towncars or UBER/LYFT? Does anyone have experience with a company they have used or suggestion? 

Thanks in advance

Welcome!  I wanted to give you a shout out because we enjoyed our 2018 cruise of New Zealand and Australia, especially our stop in Dunedin.   We felt truly welcomed by the local volunteers.  We hope you have a great cruise!  I like the advice of @Lovetocruise2002 on your transportation question.

14 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Welcome!  I wanted to give you a shout out because we enjoyed our 2018 cruise of New Zealand and Australia, especially our stop in Dunedin.   We felt truly welcomed by the local volunteers.  We hope you have a great cruise!  I like the advice of @Lovetocruise2002 on your transportation question.

I am glad you enjoyed your time in Dunedin. The volunteers do an amazing job welcoming people to the city and giving them some local tips and tricks etc. If youa re ever this way again (or anyone else from the blog) let me know and w'll come and meet you and give you a locals tour etc ?  

1 hour ago, EmersonNZ said:

Thanks all., It sounds like UBER/Lyft might be the way to go. I had heard some drivers weren't keen on the long trip because they might not get a return but it sounds like that shouldn't be an issue.

If you schedule to go a bit earlier so you end up at the terminal around 10-10:30 they will be able to pick up a lot of other short fares from nearby hotels to the port after they drop you off which makes it even more worth their while.

14 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you schedule to go a bit earlier so you end up at the terminal around 10-10:30 they will be able to pick up a lot of other short fares from nearby hotels to the port after they drop you off which makes it even more worth their while.

This is what we are doing in Nov...I am hoping to get an Uber around 9am from out hotel in Orlando which means they should be able to pick up other fares....or maybe even some last min stragglers getting off the ship..

Other option would be if your hotel offered a free airport shuttle..you could get go port Canaveral from the airport for about $14 each way with no stops...but that's a little more work involved