Cruise fare/cost adjustments

koneill65

Sort of ....

Rules vary by country but under the US booking rules, up until final payment date if you see a better price you can get the new deal (in essence cancel and rebook under the new deal without forfeiting any deposits).

They will not contact you to volunteer but if you see a better price/deal they will honor it. NOTE: The total deal changes not just the base fare, so if for example you booked a cabin for $2000 with a $400 OBC and now you saw the same cabin for $1800 with $0 OBC, you CANNOT get the $1800 price and keep your previous OBC, you have to take the whole deal. So in this example you would not want to switch because you lose more OBC than you save.

Its not really a low price guarantee its just the fact that all deposits on Royal (under US rules) are refundable until final payment date so they really cant stop you from cancelling your old deal and rebooking the new deal.

After final payment you can sometimes get an upgraded cabin if the upgrade falls below what you paid for your cabin, not as flexible though.

Its not really a low price guarantee its just the fact that all deposits on Royal (under US rules) are refundable until final payment date so they really cant stop you from cancelling your old deal and rebooking the new deal.

That's it in a nutshell.

Like Matt said - the hard part of cruises is when they drop prices after you pay final

With RCI they will often give you an upgrade equal to the price you paid - so if you paid $1000

for insides and now the ocean views are $1000, if they have space they can sometimes

upgrade you to that.  Just ask questions and be careful it does not "drop" any features

or OBC off the booking if they do this, may not be worth it

For me cabins are not the most important part of the cruise, but for others, it is -

I just noticed the blog post about RC's 30% sale starting on Monday.  I was planning on booking on FOTS for Feb 2017 tomorrow.  With my family of 4 (myself, wife, 2 kids), the 30% sale with no OBC at current prices will net me about $30 total compared to the offer right now of BOGO and $200 OBC.  This will be our first RC cruise, have only done Disney previously.  My question is do they typically raise the base prices for a sale like this?  I guess it's a gamble to wait until Monday.  As I'm typing this I am half wondering why I am concerned about $30 on a $5000 cruise.  Thanks!   

I just noticed the blog post about RC's 30% sale starting on Monday.  I was planning on booking on FOTS for Feb 2017 tomorrow.  With my family of 4 (myself, wife, 2 kids), the 30% sale with no OBC at current prices will net me about $30 total compared to the offer right now of BOGO and $200 OBC.  This will be our first RC cruise, have only done Disney previously.  My question is do they typically raise the base prices for a sale like this?  I guess it's a gamble to wait until Monday.  As I'm typing this I am half wondering why I am concerned about $30 on a $5000 cruise.  Thanks!   

Your best bet is put a deposit down today and then compare on Monday.

There are some that believe RC does raise prices prior to sales, but they cite pre-cruise prices.  Cruise pricing is not like buying a pair of jeans at the mall.  The prices can change by the minute, due to supply and demand.  Someone buys a cabin and a specific category sells out and boom, prices go up.  

The 30% off sale will most likely benefit those with 3rd and 4th passengers in one stateroom the most.  The reason being the BOGO deals favor just the first and second passengers.

My question is do they typically raise the base prices for a sale like this?  I guess it's a gamble to wait until Monday.  As I'm typing this I am half wondering why I am concerned about $30 on a $5000 cruise.  Thanks!   

Only the mysterious RCL computer algorithms know for certain, but I'd have to say yes on the pricing going up, because of the sale demand is stronger.

Marc, I am with you.

Somewhat nervous to see how high the prices are going to be but hoping the 30% deal makes it palatable. Its been over a year since I last booked an RCI cruise .... I keep looking, just cant find anything that I can justify to myself when I look at alternatives.

Looking for Harmony for Thanksgiving week ... have a large group of people that "might" be interested after some of them did Freedom last Thanksgiving with us but it is going to be very dependent on the price level.

In regards to pricing ... it was very transparent when they started the BOGO nonsense that they jacked up the base prices to make it work. Many of us that had existing reservations got great deals from the sale in the first couple of weeks. The sale has been running for almost 2 years so at this point I don't think they are jacking them up again ... they are still jacked up from 2 years ago :)

The 30% deal may save you a few bucks it may not , as Matt said assuming you are booking under US rules where everything is refundable ... book now and if the price goes down on Monday have them adjust your reservation to the new price.

With the deposits being refundable (under US rules) you should always make the reservation you think you want as soon as you can afford the deposit (the day the cruise is released for me) and then hold it until you decide you want to go or not. If the price does drop you can take advantage of it, if it does not and you aren't comfortable with the price you can cancel it and get your deposit back.

I had two cruises deposited for Springbreak 2015, took one, cancelled the other.

Two for Thanksgiving 2015, took one, cancelled the other.

Two for Springbreak 2016, cancelled the RCI option, will be on NCL Escape next month.

Two for Thanksgivng 2016, cancelled NCL Escape, will be on Adventure OTS.

Currently have two for Springbreak 2017, expecting to cancel Brilliance and sail on Carnival Vista but holding off on making that decision until we try Vista this summer.

Looking to book Harmony for Thanksgiving 2017 ... haven't decided on a second option yet, depending on how I like Escape next month it might be an NCL product (this will be my first time on NCL).

Marc, I am with you.

Somewhat nervous to see how high the prices are going to be but hoping the 30% deal makes it palatable. Its been over a year since I last booked an RCI cruise .... I keep looking, just cant find anything that I can justify to myself when I look at alternatives.

Looking for Harmony for Thanksgiving week ... have a large group of people that "might" be interested after some of them did Freedom last Thanksgiving with us but it is going to be very dependent on the price level.

I'm hoping to find a deal on Harmony of the Seas, too.

In regards to pricing ... it was very transparent when they started the BOGO nonsense that they jacked up the base prices to make it work. Many of us that had existing reservations got great deals from the sale in the first couple of weeks. The sale has been running for almost 2 years so at this point I don't think they are jacking them up again ... they are still jacked up from 2 years ago :)

I'll disagree with you ever so slightly here. When the original BOGOHO deal started in May 2014, the pricing was the same as the regular pricing the month before, but now they had the 50% off the second guest discount. I booked or adjusted the pricing on three cruises then and got fantastic deals. For my cruise coming up next month, we got a rate of $504.50/person back then for a 7-night cruise in a Promenade cabin on Freedom of the Seas.

A few weeks later, though, the second BOGOHO started, that's when the pricing was adjusted so that 100% + 50% of the new rates ended up being the same as 100% + 100% as the original rates.

Nonetheless, in my opinion, the everlasting BOGOHO with occasional dalliances into 30%-off specials is growing tiresome. Of course, all cruise lines play games. NCL has higher pricing, but they're "giving away" free beverage packages and specialty dining. The only thing one can do to remain sane when shopping for a cruise is to ignore the deals and perks and compare bottom lines.

I just got a letter from the RC saying I could not get the upcoming discount for my paid up cruise because it was beyond the final payment date. Of course it didn't go on sale until after that final date. My first cruise so I will be more careful about pricing if I cruise again.

There are no price adjustments once the final payment date has passed. However, if a higher category cabin is now the same price or lower than the one you initially booked, they will move you without any additional charge if you request the change.

However, if a higher category cabin is now the same price or lower than the one you initially booked, they will move you without any additional charge if you request the change.

I've done this several times, including a couple just a few days before sailing. I've gone from a Promenade cabin to a balcony for no extra cost this way.

Today, I benefited from the 30% off sale on one of the staterooms I booked on Freedom in May-June.The cost on my Superior Ocean View with Balcony fell by $55 pp keeping by on board credit. I've done it twice on this room for this sailing, and I have netted $540 in savings. It pays to check fares regularly.

Inside staterooms are sold out as of today, and the price of ours actually went up. So, I kept that one the same. I believe that if there are possibilities for upgrades to a jr suite from the superior ocean view with balcony, for example, that only upgrades can be processed. Correct me if I am wrong.

I checked for my April cruise that I just had to cancel....no change..interesting.

I had it booked solo...so I guess no matter what the sale is...the price stays the same for some...lol.

I have saved money and been able to rebook on previous cruises I have booked..but not as a result of a sale...just a result of them lowering prices.

These "sales" as most know are smoke and mirrors....if you saved on your room..its because RCI adjusted the price...not a direct result of the particular sale at the time...imho.

Today, I benefited from the 30% off sale on one of the staterooms I booked on Freedom in May-June.The cost on my Superior Ocean View with Balcony fell by $55 pp keeping by on board credit. I've done it twice on this room for this sailing, and I have netted $540 in savings. It pays to check fares regularly.

Inside staterooms are sold out as of today, and the price of ours actually went up. So, I kept that one the same. I believe that if there are possibilities for upgrades to a jr suite from the superior ocean view with balcony, for example, that only upgrades can be processed. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is a correction...there must have been a price reduction that was in place yesterday (Monday 2/15) that I missed earlier. The current promotion (30% off everyting) shows lower fares on my booking for the same room, but sacrifices more OBC than the savings, so I chose to stay where I was. Sorry if my previous post confused anyone.

Is it possible for me living in the UK to take advantage of not losing my deposit if i was to change my sailing? and does the US booking rules only apply to US sailings?

From what I've read, the UK booking rules make the deposit non refundable in such cases, so you'd lose it. Also, keep in mind that any perks offered in the UK (e.g., included gratuities and/or drink packages) may exceed the value of any savings even if they're available outside of North America.

I have a question about RC's 48 hour price guarantee.  So I booked Sunday with the BOGO special, comes with $200 OBC.  Yesterday I checked and with this 30% off sale, my stateroom would be $330 less for the fare, but no OBC.  So I called RC.  The guy I was speaking with was giving me a hard time about changing, kept telling me he can change me to the lower fare, but then I would lose the OBC.   I said that is fine, I will give up $200 of OBC to save $330 on my fare.  Then I mentioned to him what about your 48 hour 110% price guarantee?  It states that if you find a lower rate within 48 hours, you get 110% of the difference in OBC.  Is this in addition to changing to the lower rate, or instead of?  He is telling me it is one or the other, I can have the lower rate or additional OBC.  110% of $330 is $363, would that get added to my account, which already has $200 OBC on it?  This is confusing.  

If you rebook (which is essentially what you would be doing) you will lose whatever OBC was being offered with that original deal.  Your original reasoning was sound....$330 reduction in the price more than offsets the $200 OBC that you would lose.

I'll be honest and admit that I have had no experience whatsoever with the price guarantee....but if you are correct and they would be obliged to give you $363 in OBC you would certainly lose your original $200 OBC.  I am GUESSING here and suggest that you would retain your original [higher] price and receive $363 OBC....which is STILL a better deal than your original price OR the 30% reduction.

Someone else with direct experience should be able to confirm or trounce my guess.  I could very WELL be wrong.

I would think it is one or the other ... if they "match" the lower fare you found then there is no longer a lower fare that they would owe you 110% of (not saying I agree or believe that to be correct, but would be shocked if that's not the way the lawyers would argue it).

If for whatever reason they did not match it then you would be owed the difference as OBC.

There is language in the fine print about "the new lower rate must be one that the reservation would be eligible to receive", which I would think is where the legal weasel speak would start to come into play on, the new deal has no OBC so you have to forfeit the old OBC in order to get the 110% OBC. 

Just my non lawyer opinions but I think they are likely to dig in on match the deal or have the new OBC and forfeit the old OBC ... wonder if you get the new OBC and then ask for a price match in a couple of days as well .... they might miss that trick given their crack IT skills :)

There is language in the fine print about "the new lower rate must be one that the reservation would be eligible to receive", which I would think is where the legal weasel speak would start to come into play on, the new deal has no OBC so you have to forfeit the old OBC in order to get the 110% OBC. 

I think this section of the "fine print" deals with certain exclusive types of price reductions....things like C&A reductions, military or State or Senior discounts, etc.   ...so you cannot benefit from a price reduction for which you would not ordinarily quality.   But if it's just a straight up price reduction, I would think this clause would not get in your way.