A couple questions about UDP

ChrisK2793

We’re going to be on Navigator on 10/25.  It’s the only ship out of all the cruises we have booked that doesn’t have a Coastal Kitchen for suite guests so we’re thinking about doing the UDP.  I was told the following and was wondering if it’s all correct:

1) If our 8yo son wants to eat off the regular menu in the specialty restaurants and not the kid’s menu, we just book UDP for him as well at the adult price in the cruise planner.

2) When our concierge emails us a week before the cruise, we can tell him the specialty restaurant names, night, nights, and times we’d like and he can book ALL our UDP reservations for us ..... is that correct?  We don’t have to wait until we’re on the ship to make nightly reservations for the UDP like everyone else if we’re in a suite?  It’s a GS.

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

1) If our 8yo son wants to eat off the regular menu in the specialty restaurants and not the kid’s menu, we just book UDP for him as well at the adult price in the cruise planner.

Yes, in that case, I would just purchase the regular adult price for him.

3 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

2) When our concierge emails us a week before the cruise, we can tell him the specialty restaurant names, night, nights, and times we’d like and he can book ALL our UDP reservations for us ..... is that correct?  We don’t have to wait until we’re on the ship to make nightly reservations for the UDP like everyone else if we’re in a suite?  It’s a GS.

Also yes.  The suite concierge can take care of all those reservations ahead of time for you.  I believe this is what @tiny260 did for the Anthem group cruise in July.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, ChrisK2793 said:

Actually, what I did was not buy the package for my 12YO Grandson, there are two age categories here, quote from the UDP fine print, " Children ages 0-5 dine for free and children ages 6-12 will be charged a $10 cover at the restaurant" so don't book anything for your son, don't even be worried about the table being big enough, they were always able to accommodate, Myself, my Wife and the Grandson, even though the reservation should have only shown 2 people because I bought 2 UDP. The other thing was that some of the restuarants charged me the $10, some did not, it seemed like it was determined by the server.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, ChrisK2793 said:

Yes, when the Concierge contacts you, tell him what night and time you want and what restaurant you want, being OCD I already have a day by day list of what I want including CK so that when I get the email from the Concierge all I have to do is hit reply and attach my document.

21 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Also yes.  The suite concierge can take care of all those reservations ahead of time for you.  I believe this is what @tiny260 did for the Anthem group cruise in July

Yes, this is what we did, even though we ended up changing it for a few nights, for that we would just stop by the Concierge lounge and ask the Concierge to change our reservation. 

4 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Actually, what I did was not buy the package for my 12YO Grandson, there are two age categories here, quote from the UDP fine print, " Children ages 0-5 dine for free and children ages 6-12 will be charged a $10 cover at the restaurant" so don't book anything for your son, don't even be worried about the table being big enough, they were always able to accommodate, Myself, my Wife and the Grandson, even though the reservation should have only shown 2 people because I bought 2 UDP. The other thing was that some of the restuarants charged me the $10, some did not, it seemed like it was determined by the server.

Did they allow your grandson to order off their regular adult menu for the $10?  Or was it the child’s menu?

11 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Did they allow your grandson to order off their regular adult menu for the $10?  Or was it the child’s menu?

Yes, no issues, as a matter of fact, in Geovanni's and Sabor he was ordering 2 entrée's and they didn't say a word.

We ate at Sabor 3 times (Mt Wife's favorite) and they never even charged me the $10, that why I said it depends on the server.

This was when it was still the Ultimate instead of the Unlimited as it is called now (July 2018).

50 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

35 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Yes, no issues, as a matter of fact, in Geovanni's and Sabor he was ordering 2 entrée's and they didn't say a word.

We ate at Sabor 3 times (Mt Wife's favorite) and they never even charged me the $10, that why I said it depends on the server.

This was when it was still the Ultimate instead of the Unlimited as it is called now (July 2018).

Wow.  That's awesome that they allowed him to that at the kid's price!  I wonder if it's one of those things that really vary by ship as far as how much they enforce it.  When we were on Indy last year, they told my daughter, who was also 12 at the time that if she wanted to order off the adult's menu that we would be paying full price for her.  @ChrisK2793 I feel like this is one of those things where "Your mileage may vary" and you're taking a chance.  It may go either way...

41 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Wow.  That's awesome that they allowed him to that at the kid's price!  I wonder if it's one of those things that really vary by ship as far as how much they enforce it.  When we were on Indy last year, they told my daughter, who was also 12 at the time that if she wanted to order off the adult's menu that we would be paying full price for her.  @ChrisK2793 I feel like this is one of those things where "Your mileage may vary" and you're taking a chance.  It may go either way...

Yes, If I didn't say it, that was my meaning, it varied by server.