4 hours ago, devynrosee said:

I am sailing to Bermuda at the end of September on Anthem of the seas, was wondering what currency does Bermuda use? Will they accept my cash or card? Or should I switch over my money to their currency? If I need to, do I have to do it before getting on the ship? Thanks:11_blush:

The info from @mworkman is very reassuring. I haven't been in Bermuda, but when I do need foreign currency I find that ATMs usually have an option for the local currency, so I make sure my bank has been notified about my travel plans in case I need to use one.  I have had success in the UK, Canada, and Germany.     That said, almost everywhere I've been, dollars are useful.

I've never had an issue in Bermuda with U.S. Dollars. I also don't recall being charged for using a credit card that doesn't offer no foreign transaction fees. BUT. I'll search my CC history to confirm and edit this post accordingly.

Edit: I didn't see any foreign transaction fees for the credit card I used which would charge me a foreign transaction fee (2.7%). (Because I didn't have one until recently!) Don't take this as a rule, but my experience. 

Edited by sk8erguy1978
add after confirming CC history

1 hour ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Or your credit card.  All credit cards will convert the currency automatically.

And be sure that if asked, you pay on the card in the local currency.  We were told that the conversion is better when your credit card does this after the transaction and not the store charging in your own currency.  Jane

1 hour ago, Flacruiser99 said:

Make sure your credit card does not have a foreign transaction fee many do.

My card doesn't have this, so I wasn't aware it existed.  Good advice.

32 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

And be sure that if asked, you pay on the card in the local currency.  We were told that the conversion is better when your credit card does this after the transaction and not the store charging in your own currency.  Jane

Can't say I ever thought of this.  I'll need to make a point of paying attention if/when I use it outside the US.  Thanks for the heads up.

Full info regarding cash/cards for Bermuda 

Bermuda's official currency in the Bermuda Dollar which is fixed to the US Dollar. Because of the latter, the US dollar is accepted everywhere at par. British Pounds sterling, Canadian dollars, Euros and other currencies should not be brought as they cannot be used. Mostmajor international credit cards will be accepted from visitors, but overseas debit cards, even in the USA, cannot be used in Bermuda. Most if not all Bermuda places to stay, stores and restaurants will no longer accept traveler's checks, so they should not be bought for your Bermuda visit.

The local-only Bermuda Dollar pictured below, is not exportable. It is not traded internationally. Visitors to Bermuda, irrespective of from where they fly to get here, cannot buy or sell Bermuda dollars abroad. It is used only by local citizens and residents - not by international companies based in Bermuda (all of which use US dollars). It is not cashable or exchangeable by any foreign banks.  They should bring US dollars - freely accepted and officially at par everywhere. The Bermuda dollar is pegged to and is based on the international value of the US dollar.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Full info regarding cash/cards for Bermuda 

Bermuda's official currency in the Bermuda Dollar which is fixed to the US Dollar. Because of the latter, the US dollar is accepted everywhere at par. British Pounds sterling, Canadian dollars, Euros and other currencies should not be brought as they cannot be used. Mostmajor international credit cards will be accepted from visitors, but overseas debit cards, even in the USA, cannot be used in Bermuda. Most if not all Bermuda places to stay, stores and restaurants will no longer accept traveler's checks, so they should not be bought for your Bermuda visit.

The local-only Bermuda Dollar pictured below, is not exportable. It is not traded internationally. Visitors to Bermuda, irrespective of from where they fly to get here, cannot buy or sell Bermuda dollars abroad. It is used only by local citizens and residents - not by international companies based in Bermuda (all of which use US dollars). It is not cashable or exchangeable by any foreign banks.  They should bring US dollars - freely accepted and officially at par everywhere. The Bermuda dollar is pegged to and is based on the international value of the US dollar.

Great information!

3 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

2 hours ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Can't say I ever thought of this.  I'll need to make a point of paying attention if/when I use it outside the US.  Thanks for the heads up.

The only place I remember this being asked was when I cruised the Mediterranean, never in the Caribbean.

i use the prepay Revolut mastercard, i believe this bank is starting in the US sometime soon ( it may have done so already ) 

I link my main bank account to revolut card and top up when required, it's ideal for oversee's payments for things like hotels, flights etc as you can transfer money from your main currency into another eg: USD to Euro at a better exchange rate then pay for hotels etc in euro's, this means there are no transaction fee's. you can also have money in various currencies on the card at the same time, If you travel to a country that isnt on their list then they you just pay in whatever currency you have on card and they change it again for no fee. 

Also has the best app i have seen for any bank, security is amazing, you can freeze card completely if lost or stolen and also switch off individual commands at any time ie internet purchases, contactless, ATM withdrawals etc, so when i visit somewhere i make sure only the commands i use are in operation ( chip & pin and contactless ) 

6 hours ago, Ray said:

i use the prepay Revolut mastercard, i believe this bank is starting in the US sometime soon ( it may have done so already ) 

I link my main bank account to revolut card and top up when required, it's ideal for oversee's payments for things like hotels, flights etc as you can transfer money from your main currency into another eg: USD to Euro at a better exchange rate then pay for hotels etc in euro's, this means there are no transaction fee's. you can also have money in various currencies on the card at the same time, If you travel to a country that isnt on their list then they you just pay in whatever currency you have on card and they change it again for no fee. 

Also has the best app i have seen for any bank, security is amazing, you can freeze card completely if lost or stolen and also switch off individual commands at any time ie internet purchases, contactless, ATM withdrawals etc, so when i visit somewhere i make sure only the commands i use are in operation ( chip & pin and contactless ) 

That's interesting. Never heard of that card. I'll look into that for next time.