Hawaii

Mitch

Going to be heading to Hawaii 28 days to go.  Looking for any info that would be helpful. Example; what to see, what island is best for shopping, best island for beach/swimming. Never been there so this is all new. I don't want to miss out on something as I don't see us returning to Hawaii.  I will appreciate any ideas, answers to my questions.

Another thing. Is there a reason cruise ships don't stay in a port for an overnight. I think, (assume) that cost could be part. Being we have never been on a cruise we just wondered. When we look at things to do at different ports. We don't see how we can get it all in. We picked what we felt was important to see.

Thanks everyone

13 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Going to be heading to Hawaii 28 days to go.  Looking for any info that would be helpful. Example; what to see, what island is best for shopping, best island for beach/swimming. Never been there so this is all new. I don't want to miss out on something as I don't see us returning to Hawaii.  I will appreciate any ideas, answers to my questions.

Another thing. Is there a reason cruise ships don't stay in a port for an overnight. I think, (assume) that cost could be part. Being we have never been on a cruise we just wondered. When we look at things to do at different ports. We don't see how we can get it all in. We picked what we felt was important to see.

Thanks everyone

Hawaii is a great place - I think some of the best beaches are in Maui and Kauai - and Kauai has great scenery and hiking.  Oahu has more malls and shopping then other places and I think the Northern part of Oahu has some good beaches and you could even see Turtles up here - great local food trucks too in this area.

There are several ships/lines that do have over nights - depends on the sailing but there are some that do overnights in Hawaii (NCL) and then Princess, RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, many other lines have over night stays depending on the destination you are going too.

Went there for our honeymoon 44 years. Have not been back since. But will one day.  I bought a pair of sandals that I wear to this very day and had them resoled about 12 years ago. They are leather  thong flip flops.  If you see something unique by all means purchase it.  There are some great artisans over there. Snorkeling and body surfing is a whole lot of fun.  Lots of good food in abundance.  Go where the locals go.  The bigger the dive the better the food.  The Arizona memorial  is a very emotional experience. Kauai the garden isle is beautiful.  Lahaina  Whaling Village in Maui is very quaint.  Oahu is very commercialized. And their is a lot of truth to the fact that you don`t take rocks if you go to Haleakala Crater.  I took one and gave it to a co worker on a dare. I`m sad to say that 1 year later he died out out of the clear blue.  Coincidence or angry spirits did him in and I`m still bothered by it to this day. Their is an enormous amount of culture there.  If at all possible go to a luau. Good food and lots of fun to be had.  

Edited by fonemanbob
grammar error

17 hours ago, Mitch said:

Thanks everyone

I have been to Oahu multiple times on business, and I have found it underwhelming--expensive, a lot of tourists, long lines, much poverty, ridiculous traffic.  That said, I yearn to climb Diamond Head,  it is easy to drive around the island in a few hours,  and there are many beautiful locations.  I agree with @fonemanbob  that the Arizona Memorial is a moving experience, and that Oahu is very commercialized.   The people were very helpful and friendly, as a rule.  So like anyplace, be realistic about your expectations (it's not heaven), and you'll enjoy it. But truly, everything in Hawaii is 25-35% more expensive than the mainland. Have a great trip!

13 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I have been to Oahu multiple times on business, and I have found it underwhelming--expensive, a lot of tourists, long lines, much poverty, ridiculous traffic.  That said, I yearn to climb Diamond Head,  it is easy to drive around the island in a few hours,  and there are many beautiful locations.  I agree with @fonemanbob  that the Arizona Memorial is a moving experience, and that Oahu is very commercialized.   The people were very helpful and friendly, as a rule.  So like anyplace, be realistic about your expectations (it's not heaven), and you'll enjoy it. But truly, everything in Hawaii is 25-35% more expensive than the mainland. Have a great trip!

We have a rental car booked for Hilo for the day and Honolulu. Diamond Head is on our list for sure and Waikiki Beach and for Hilo we are still deciding on what to visit.