Good news if you have been dreaming of west coast cruises

Matt

From Catalina Insider

Recently a ship’s agent reached out to Avalon city representatives seeking dates to visit the port of Avalon. The ship’s agent, representing Royal Caribbean, requested Saturday and Tuesday visits for the period of July-September beginning in 2021. 

They've been hinting at this for a while. 

Now the question becomes... which ship?  3,000 passengers are noted which matches to Celebrity better.   This could be a request for Celebrity.

The only bad news is that the requested days of the week were not available, only Wednesday was offered.  The requested Saturday/Tuesday suggests a 3/4 night rotation.  With just Wednesday offered Royal may decide it simply doesn't work for them.  

"Wednesdays were offered to the ship’s agent for consideration."

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Now the question becomes... which ship?  3,000 passengers are noted which matches to Celebrity better.   This could be a request for Celebrity.

Great point. "Royal Caribbean" could reference the parent company (RCCL) and not necessarily be indicative of Royal Caribbean International resuming west coast cruises.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

They've been hinting at this for a while. 

The only bad news is that the requested days of the week were not available, only Wednesday was offered.  The requested Saturday/Tuesday suggests a 3/4 night rotation.  With just Wednesday offered Royal may decide it simply doesn't work for them.  

"Wednesdays were offered to the ship’s agent for consideration."

As I've mentioned on another thread a while back, a very reliable source told me the Liberty is moving to the west coast when Royal moves an Oasis class ship to Galveston.

3 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

As I've mentioned on another thread a while back, a very reliable source told me the Liberty is moving to the west coast when Royal moves an Oasis class ship to Galveston.

Libery has much more capacity than 3,000 guests.  I’m not disputing your source but these types of inquires occur all the time by all cruise lines.  We never hear about them.  This “leak” is cute, but in the bigger picture means nothing.  

Now if every port on the West coast reported every inquiry that would be interesting.

This one sounds like local politics.  In isolation it means little.  

18 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

With the current status of the California ship to shore power regulations (CARB); I find it very hard to believe Royal would make the financial commitment to California based cruising anytime soon.

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

With the current status of the California ship to shore power regulations (CARB); I find it very hard to believe Royal would make the financial commitment to California based cruising anytime soon.

Any word from Carnival and Princess?  They are big operators from CA ports.  How are they embracing the changes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, twangster said:

Any word from Carnival and Princess?  They are big operators from CA ports.  How are they embracing the changes?

Moving larger ships over here and NCL has comeback. Carnival is bring a new ship in December 2019.  3000 passengers would be a Voyager class.

22 minutes ago, RoyalLaker said:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/content/uploads/2018-2019-Fleet_Guide.pdf

I think SOLAS would include the crew onboard.

Old numbers before new cabins plus that was based on double occupancy.  

I had a conversation with an HD. He told me one time they had 4,001 including temporary entertainers.  He found one pub singer who happened to have his mariners certificate so they could reclassify him as crew and board exactly 4,000 passengers.  

54 minutes ago, twangster said:

Old numbers before new cabins plus that was based on double occupancy.  

I had a conversation with an HD. He told me one time they had 4,001 including temporary entertainers.  He found one pub singer who happened to have his mariners certificate so they could reclassify him as crew and board exactly 4,000 passengers.  

Those are current at Double occupancy, 4000 would be all berths which would compete with the current ships in Los Angeles.  The way the article is written it appears the ship can carry more passengers than 3000.but they are basing that number of typical Wednesday demand. It would be a 3 day 4 day rotation July-September but come October i would think she would start back on the Mexican Rivera and this typical from the ships that come down from Alaska.

On 9/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, RoyalLaker said:

At 2,910 guests it matches the 3,000 figure that RCCL has been using with ports.  

Since it's being built to take shore power that fits CA compliance.

A couple of stars are aligning.  Need a few more to fall in place before calling it.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:56 PM, twangster said:

At 2,910 guests it matches the 3,000 figure that RCCL has been using with ports.  

Since it's being built to take shore power that fits CA compliance.

A couple of stars are aligning.  Need a few more to fall in place before calling it.

What sister line ship of RCI holds over 4000 passengers? https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://tvpacifico.mx/noticias/230179-anuncia-royal-caribbean-su-regreso-a-mazatlan-en-el-2021&prev=search

2 hours ago, RoyalLaker said:

Interesting they specifically speak of RCI, not RCCL.

4k is distinctly Voyager class.  

The sub title of the article says "showed interest in returning" but in the body it states "marking it's return by 2021". 

I'm not aware they have "announced their return".

Wonder which it is.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:48 PM, twangster said:

Interesting they specifically speak of RCI, not RCCL.

I found that interesting also, however, it is amazing how much the media uses "RCCL" and "RCI" interchangeably. Not to mention this is from Google Translate, so another layer of interpretation with this.

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

I found that interesting also, however, it is amazing how much the media uses "RCCL" and "RCI" interchangeably. Not to mention this is from Google Translate, so another layer of interpretation with this.

Translation is pretty dang close. The author probably does not know the difference between RCCL and RCI. Now will RCCL return with weekly calls or a repositioning cruise remains to be seen.  Basically it's another small step forward towards the west coast. Based on RCCL past comments only new builds will get shore power capabilities which you need to homeport a ship in California and I don't know of any RCI's recent new builds that have it and its to costly to retrofit a existing ship. So based on this info i would say its Celebrity Apex. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, RoyalLaker said:

According to this article both Celebrity and RCI are returning. 

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/sinaloa-looks-for-more-airline-connections-for-3-airports/

When 2021 itineraries open in the coming weeks and months that should be very interesting!

I wonder if this region will be released on December 9.  The region for that release date is listed as "Coming Soon".

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/10/01/royal-caribbean-releases-2021-2022-opening-schedule

5 hours ago, twangster said:

When 2021 itineraries open in the coming weeks and months that should be very interesting!

I wonder if this region will be released on December 9.  The region for that release date is listed as "Coming Soon".

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/10/01/royal-caribbean-releases-2021-2022-opening-schedule

As far as RCI is concern....their 4000 passengers ship would be an Quantum class...assuming Ovation ots. However, this could also suggest a Freedom class ship which capacity is 3800 passengers, if such a ship is being repositioned. Indeed interesting....

3 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

As far as RCI is concern....their 4000 passengers ship would be an Quantum class...assuming Ovation ots. However, this could also suggest a Freedom class ship which capacity is 3800 passengers, if such a ship is being repositioned. Indeed interesting....

Per the article Carnival's ship has 5,000 guests.  Which ship would that be?  :) 

Take the article with grain of salt and Royal could at anytime up to the announcement change ships around.  

Don't forget Voyager class has a SOLAS capacity of exactly 4,000.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Per the article Carnival's ship has 5,000 guests.  Which ship would that be?  ?

Take the article with grain of salt and Royal could at anytime up to the announcement change ships around.  

Don't forget Voyager class has a SOLAS capacity of exactly 4,000.

I'm thinking it's going to be a ship from Australia or Asia. Any freedom class or Voyager class from east coast would have to go around South America.