Disembarking at Southampton

lindy

5 hours ago, lindy said:

We need to book trains for when we disembark at Southampton but need an idea of when we will get off the ship Explorer

I'd suggest looking at your booking, which will show estimated arrival time.  Decide if you are walking off with your luggage (earliest opportunity to leave).  That is what we do now since Royal lost my wife's suitcase in Southampton in 2015.  Typically, when the ship arrives 6 AM you can leave as early as 6:30 AM with walkoff group, although the line starts building before 6.  If the arrival time is later, then adjust accordingly.  I imagine you'll be off by 8:30 - 9 even if you let Royal handle your luggage, but you can check a cruise compass and check the last day to see an example of the timing.

51 minutes ago, lindy said:

not sure what you mean about walk off though.

If you're willing to carry all of your luggage off the ship on debarkation day yourself, you can be amongst the first passengers to exit the ship.  This procedure is commonly referred to as "Express Walk Off" or, more commonly, just "Walk Off."  Otherwise, you put all of your luggage besides your carry on in the hallway the night prior to debarkation and the cruise line gathers it all and transports it to the terminal the following morning.  You are assigned a group number and you disembark at an assigned time.  If you're in a rush, Walk Off is the fastest way off the ship, but if not leaving until 9 or 10 is fine for you, then it really is personal preference.

Lindy,

We have some very dear friends of ours on Explorer.  The Top Notch Band and lead singer Cherry. If you have a chance please say hello to them from The Mayor of CocoCay (Kelly) and his wife Vanessa. They are really great people and talented artists. A picture would be great too!  Thanks and have a wonderful cruise!

How do you go about being a walker?  Do RC charge extra for this?  What's latest you can walk off? 

Just trying to establish the worst case scenario. What might be latest you'd be off & how long it would take to collect cases one off. 

Thanks 

Edited by lindy
Added more

On 8/24/2019 at 12:39 AM, RoyalGreek said:

Lindy,

We have some very dear friends of ours on Explorer.  The Top Notch Band and lead singer Cherry. If you have a chance please say hello to them from The Mayor of CocoCay (Kelly) and his wife Vanessa. They are really great people and talented artists. A picture would be great too!  Thanks and have a wonderful cruise!

Will do if I remember 

11 hours ago, lindy said:

How do you go about being a walker?  Do RC charge extra for this?  What's latest you can walk off? 

Just trying to establish the worst case scenario. What might be latest you'd be off & how long it would take to collect cases one off. 

Thanks 

It doesn't cost anything.  You just need to be able to take your own bags off the ship without assistance. 

The typical procedure is that you leave your bags outside your cabin on the last night of the cruise. They are collected and sorted and you won't see them until you get off the ship. It is similar to baggage claim at an airport.  They assign you a number which will indicate what group your bag will be at when you get off the ship.  They will call these numbers in order for people to leave.  If you leave your bags it makes no sense to leave the ship prior to your number being called as your bag won't be guaranteed to be off the ship until they call the number. 

If you want to do self-disembark you won't put your bags out. Then in the morning when they clear the ship you are free to leave at your leisure. You do not have to wait for a number to be called because you already have your luggage.

I do not know how long it takes from the port to the train station in your situation, but they often start allowing people off the ship at 630-7am.  If you carried off your own bags you can leave as early as they allow people to get off.

Hi Lindy

I often disembark at Southampton. I have always been off the ship by ten when leaving my bags outside my cabin the night before. I believe you can go to reception and request a time slot but it needs to be done earlier in the cruise as the slots fill up. Put a bright ribbon on your bags so they are easier to spot when you go to collect them.

Taxis are always lined up outside the ship. Easy to see them. Just jump into one and they will take you to the train station which is five to ten minutes away depending on traffic. Very easy to do and my preferred option. 

I always get a 9 a.m. train so see no reason why you would have a problem with a later train.

Hope this helps

Ann

6 hours ago, lindy said:

Can you walk off anytime then or does it have to be before certain time?  Or,  can you request which group you are in?  Thank you 

You can walk off whenever you want if you take your own bags.

If you want to leave your bags, you would have to either use the number group assigned to you which will be left in your cabin a few nights before the end of the cruise or you can go down to Guest Services and try to get an earlier number.

From @AnnB's helpful response it appears you should be fine with leaving your bags and still make that 11am train!

2 hours ago, lindy said:

Thank you both.  We would be happy to walk off as we are capable of taking cases but someone said you have to be off by 6.30 of you walk?  can you make the choice of what you are doing once on the ship or does it have to be done in advance?

You do not have to leave at 6:30 if you take your luggage off yourself.  But remember you have to be out of your cabin by 8-8:30 so the room steward can turn around your cabin for the next passengers.   That means if you don't leave the ship when you leave your cabin you will be taking your luggage to wherever you are going to wait to leave the ship.  Public areas can get crowded as other passengers will have their carry-ons and luggage with them as well.

You make the choice on the the last night when you decide to leave your bags out.  You do not need to tell anyone ahead of time.   

When you leave the ship they have no idea what group you are in as the group numbers are tied to the luggage tags they will give you.  When they leave the luggage tags they usually leave an estimated schedule of when they will call each number.  They only really ask that if you DID leave your luggage out that you don't leave before your number is called.  Your luggage may not be there if you leave before your number is called and then you will be in the way waiting around in the luggage collection area.