Aft Staterooms

mark.s

So I booked a GTY Jr Suite on Mariner. Got the assignment yesterday and it looks like we were put into an Aft Jr Suite. I saw some pics and I have to say, we are quite bummed. From what I see, the superstructure beam is your view. We are stuck on the 7th deck. We went from stoked to bummed anticipating this cruise. I've called RC 5x begging to be moved. Anyone have this type of JR Suite before? I know... 1st world problems, right?

1 minute ago, mark.s said:

So I booked a GTY Jr Suite on Mariner. Got the assignment yesterday and it looks like we were put into an Aft Jr Suite. I saw some pics and I have to say, we are quite bummed. From what I see, the superstructure beam is your view. We are stuck on the 7th deck. We went from stoked to bummed anticipating this cruise. I've called RC 5x begging to be moved. Anyone have this type of JR Suite before? I know... 1st world problems, right?

We had an aft suite on Navigator back in May and loved it. It was on Deck 10, was quiet and had great views, especially of a CocoCay when we docked. 

3D1657A8-3CF0-48D5-9B19-ED1180456F51.jpeg

2BBCFF44-CF5D-4B4E-A594-C4CDD9515906.jpeg

DD266653-00CA-40C0-81EB-CD3EB06C0D33.jpeg

11 minutes ago, mark.s said:

Thanks.. deck 10 got lots of positives. Deck 7 sounds like a different story and the pics/videos I've seen ticks me off

It’s the crapshoot of a guarantee room, especially when it comes to suites as the desirable locations go first. No one wants to get stuck in a suite that has a bad layout and with the communication here on the message board, we’ve all started to know which Loft suites suck. Have you considered asking to move down in category to a spacious balcony? You’d forfeit the double C&A points, but might get a better location. 

I havent had a JS back there but have had balcony cabins on all levels (multiple voyager class sailings) ... personally i would not have an issue ... there is some metal but you should still have a decent water view.

Not sure about the aft JS since i havent had one but the aft balcony's are massive compared to the regular ones, i would assume the same holds true with the JS cabins.

While not in the Jr suite on Deck 7 - I have done the corner Balcony rooms on this ship on the aft.  Yes there is a little bit of metal in the way, but nothing beats the view of seeing the ship sail away from a location or that color blue of the sea you only get from the back of the ship when moving.  I love this location and this is the deck I typically book when on the aft on this class ship.

Thanks to everyone who replied. This is exactly why I joined this board. There is little chatter/pics/video on JS Aft for Mariner and those that I saw disappointed us because the super structure was so prevalent. It looks so far back too. What we did see was mainly from Explorer. I scoured the internet and YouTube looking. If anyone has actual pics of an actual JS Aft  room on the actual Mariner on the 7th deck...that would be great. We are hoping for the best and it would be great if we become AFT converts.

8 minutes ago, mark.s said:

Thanks to everyone who replied. This is exactly why I joined this board. There is little chatter/pics/video on JS Aft for Mariner and those that I saw disappointed us because the super structure was so prevalent. It looks so far back too. What we did see was mainly from Explorer. I scoured the internet and YouTube looking. If anyone has actual pics of an actual JS Aft  room on the actual Mariner on the 7th deck...that would be great. We are hoping for the best and it would be great if we become AFT converts.

Did you try https://www.cruisedeckplans.com  You may be able to see actual photos of your room.

16 hours ago, mark.s said:

If it helps if you find pictures from any of the sisters (or near sisters) the aft structure is functionally identical on all of them. I have sailed Freedom, Indy, Liberty, Adventure, Mariner  and Navigator in the aft balconies on decks from 6-10 and loved every one. Is there metal in your line of sight .. yes absolutely but you can still see a ton of water and have a huge balcony to enjoy it from.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:43 PM, Andrew72681 said:

We had an aft suite on Navigator back in May and loved it. It was on Deck 10, was quiet and had great views, especially of a CocoCay when we docked. 

3D1657A8-3CF0-48D5-9B19-ED1180456F51.jpeg

2BBCFF44-CF5D-4B4E-A594-C4CDD9515906.jpeg

DD266653-00CA-40C0-81EB-CD3EB06C0D33.jpeg

@Andrew72681 we just stayed in that room this week. Couldn’t agree more, it was spectacular. So glad that we were able to get it. 

19 minutes ago, darketower said:

@Andrew72681 we just stayed in that room this week. Couldn’t agree more, it was spectacular. So glad that we were able to get it. 

Do you feel these aft rooms are worth it if the ship is barely moving?  We have the corner aft booked on Mariner next summer.  When we booked it, all spacious balcony rooms were same price, but now deck 10 rooms in that category are a couple hundred more.  Wondering if it's worth it considering our cruise is one that got the 2 CoCo Cay stops and thus will barely be able to enjoy watching the wake from our balcony (i.e.  no sea days).  Then again, the corner rooms are larger than normal so that's a bonus ontop of the large balcony.

1 minute ago, darketower said:

@WannaCruise I would say so only because the balcony was so big and the view was great. We didn’t get off ship in Nassau and we enjoyed having drinks on our balcony overlooking the harbor. My wife has said she doesn’t think she can go back to a regular balcony again. ??‍♂️

Thanks for the feedback.  It does look really nice and the room size will be good for 4 of us.  Do enjoy just watching the wake, but sounds like it's still very enjoyable.

I stayed in an Aft Balcony on Navigator.  It was splendid, I liked it better than my JS on Explorer.  It was so big it fit all 5 of us (my 3 kids were in an interior cabin just a few doors away).  We had breakfast there a few times, plus sail aways.  It was deck9 or 10, cant remember.

Wish I was in one this time, but i only booked 95 days out so there were none left.  So i'm on the Hump.

4 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Do you feel these aft rooms are worth it if the ship is barely moving?  We have the corner aft booked on Mariner next summer.  When we booked it, all spacious balcony rooms were same price, but now deck 10 rooms in that category are a couple hundred more.  Wondering if it's worth it considering our cruise is one that got the 2 CoCo Cay stops and thus will barely be able to enjoy watching the wake from our balcony (i.e.  no sea days).  Then again, the corner rooms are larger than normal so that's a bonus ontop of the large balcony.

I must be the odd one as I hated this JS.   I had the deck 10 aft JS on Navigator as shown in the picture and hated it but I think it was because we cruised over July 4th.  It was so hot and humid with no air movement.  I was dripping in sweat sitting out there at 10 or 11 pm and there was no way I was out there during the day.   I really hated the superstructure view and much prefer a direct view of the ocean, plus were overlooking balconies below you.  There really wasn't a wake view as the ship doesn't have far to go so very little speed.   Deck 10 JS have connecting rooms which is something we prefer to book but not everyone likes it.

That could be it.  I never cruise in summer,  the cruise i mentioned was in Feb and the one i am going on soon is Nov.  I try to be in cooler places in summer, but this summer didnt work out so well.  Was in France (in beaujolais) and was 80-90F.  But could be worse, week before was 100, and 2 weeks after was over 100F.

Note to self, if crusing in summer dont pic a balcony?

Life is a box of chocs, never know what your gonna get ?

5 minutes ago, amanx said:

That could be it.  I never cruise in summer,  the cruise i mentioned was in Feb and the one i am going on soon is Nov.  I try to be in cooler places in summer, but this summer didnt work out so well.  Was in France (in beaujolais) and was 80-90F.  But could be worse, week before was 100, and 2 weeks after was over 100F.

That was our first summer cruise as we typically cruise in November or March.  It was unbelievably hot. Next summer we're going to Alaska.  

Our first choice was the new JS on deck 11 or 12 forward but RC went from a 4 person occupancy to 2 people.  Sitting on the helicopter pad at night had a nice breeze and I wish we had that room.  

On 8/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, WannaCruise said:

For the space in the room and extra space on the balcony I’d say it was definitely worth it. The only issue was noise when pulling into port, this week on navigator mid ship we could never tell if we had made it into port. 

Relevant topic for me here, we booked at GTY balcony on Navigator for next month, got assigned corner aft balcony (6688) and was worried till I read so many positives on this board and elsewhere. I still bid on JS and GS anyway ('cause more is better ?) to roll the dice but am reconsidering just cancelling and keeping 6688. You all really know how to showcase the positives ?