Coastal Kitchen vs MDR

I just got back from Harmony.  We generally ate two meals a day in the CK-either breakfast and dinner or lunch and dinner.  We loved it!  We had one lunch in the MDR.  I like the MDR generally, but on a ship of that size, we found it a little overwhelming.  It was crowded and busy.  By the contrast, the CK was a peaceful "Oasis".  By the second day, the manager and the servers knew our names.  Service was prompt-must faster than the MDR and the food was wonderful.  The views were spectacular.  I highly recommend dinner there, in particular.  The other meals, we grabbed at the Vitality Cafe, the Park Cafe, Sorrentos or Mini-bites, depending on mood, etc.  

2 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

What’s the main difference between Coastal Kitchen and the MDR?  Should we just eat in the CK every night?

Umm...everything!  And yes!

CK is better than the MDR in terms of everything from service, food quality and presentation, and the views. 

The food in CK is made to order (and not mass produced like the MDR).  The quality of the food is comparable, if not better sometimes to a specialty restaurant.  In fact, many of the meals in CK are also in the specialty restaurants and Chef's Table. 

The menu in CK is also an upgraded menu from the MDR. 

And last but not least, you cannot the beat the ambiance of CK, especially on Oasis class ships.  Up on on Deck 17, with floor to ceiling windows, it's airy and bright and a more relaxed environment that the MDR.  I never go to the MDR if I have access to CK. 

If you are interested in seeing the CK menu from SY, it's in my blog along with some food pics.

Sailed Grand Suite on Anthem twice (30 days until third time) and sorry to say only ate at CK once. However, that one experience was amazing. Just like @Lovetocruise2002 said, it's like specialty dining, only included as a suite perk. 

Both sailings (and the upcoming one as well) we had friends on-board so it was difficult to take advantage for dinner ... but really wish we had spent more time in CK, that one experience was amazing. Great food and great service. We have one meal we are planning to have in CK for some alone time away from friends but wish we could enjoy more dinners there. The five nights just isn't enough time for us. Hopefully we can enjoy it for other meals as well (breakfast on sea day for example) and not deal with the windjammer crowds.

To summarize my rant ... it's really a perk you should take advantage of.

2 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Or do those that intend to eat at CK always choose My Time Dining and just never make reservations?

^^^That's what we do.  When we book a suite, the agent, whether that be Royal or a TA, automatically puts us in My Time.  We just don't make reservations.

1 minute ago, BB1 said:

Can you make reservations in advance? I believe that suites have first choice. I don't see it on the cruise planner but was thinking the concierge could make them when they contact you prior to sailing.

I was told that we can ask our suite concierge to make CK reservations for us when they email us a week or so before the cruise 

5 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Can you make reservations in advance? I believe that suites have first choice. I don't see it on the cruise planner but was thinking the concierge could make them when they contact you prior to sailing.

Most of the time you have to wait until the suite concierge emails you.  However, there have been a few reports that some were able to make them online on their cruise planner.  In our own experience, we were able to do it online the first time we sailed Anthem in March 2018 but that was it.  All other suite sailings after that we had to wait for the suite concierge.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Most of the time you have to wait until the suite concierge emails you.  However, there have been a few reports that some were able to make them online on their cruise planner.  In our own experience, we were able to do it online the first time we sailed Anthem in March 2018 but that was it.  All other suite sailings after that we had to wait for the suite concierge.

I saw CK on the Anthem GC and booked online for a couple of the nights, but I don't see it on my upcoming Harmony cruise so I plan on having the Concierge make them for me.

Have to have the Filet that first night.

7 minutes ago, FManke said:

Although the food has mixed reviews, isn't part of the draw of the MDR, the ambience? Old school classic cruise dining. Or do some just think of it as a large banquet hall?

IMO, the food quality has really gone downhill over the last few years.  You still get the MDR experience in CK.  Just on a smaller scale, like @Fairlynew new said, less hectic.  More peaceful.  Better food.

12 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I agree,  the filet is fantastic.  It wasn't the first night on my last cruise.  Has this changed?

10 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Specifically on Allure. 

Not sure why but Allure runs their CK menu on a different rotation compared to the rest of the fleet.  Filet is night 1 but Allure does it Night 4.

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

IMO, the food quality has really gone downhill over the last few years.  You still get the MDR experience in CK.  Just on a smaller scale, like @Fairlynew new said, less hectic.  More peaceful.  Better food.

Well, I guess for us that don't have access to CK. Ignorance is bliss! The MDR it is!

46 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Same, last year, I booked online this year, nada. I'll ask the concierge when he emails ... have to ask about iFly too, I missed the booking window ? ... Although I did it last year so it's not a 'must' just a 'want'. ?

If something on the menu strikes your fancy at either the MDR or CK, then that should drive your decision.  CK food isn't as mass produced as the MDR, but there have been times where I haven't been impressed by what I ordered.

I'm also more of a snacky eater than sit and enjoy an extended sit down meal..so I'm just as happy grazing from everywhere I can.

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not sure why but Allure runs their CK menu on a different rotation compared to the rest of the fleet.  Filet is night 1 but Allure does it Night 4.

@BB1 When I was on Allure in May of this year, CK had filet on night 7. I agree that the filet is incredible, but I would be remiss to not also rave about the rib eye. It was melt in your mouth and incredibly flavorful. I think that was maybe night 2 or 3? I have a liveblog in my signature where I talk about Allure CK for dinner 5/7 nights. 

8 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

@BB1 When I was on Allure in May of this year, CK had filet on night 7. I agree that the filet is incredible, but I would be remiss to not also rave about the rib eye. It was melt in your mouth and incredibly flavorful. I think that was maybe night 2 or 3? I have a liveblog in my signature where I talk about Allure CK for dinner 5/7 nights. 

Not sure why Allure is all over the place with their rotation.  People lately have been posting Night 4 for the filet, and yours was 7.  Best bet to make sure you don't miss anything is to ask for the suite concierge to send you the menus ahead of time.  That is what we have been doing.  Then we plan around that.  

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not sure why Allure is all over the place with their rotation.  People lately have been posting Night 4 for the filet, and yours was 7.  Best bet to make sure you don't miss anything is to ask for the suite concierge to send you the menus ahead of time.  That is what we have been doing.  Then we plan around that.  

Well it wouldn't be Royal if it wasn't predictably unpredictable! ?

I was in a Junior Suite on the Ovation ofthat  the Seas in July and it was our first time trying Coastal Kitchen. While I agree that the service is much better and the I love smaller dining room compared to the MDR I did not find the quality of the food significantly better the the MDR. A little better yes. If I have access to it there I certainly will. But not enough to get super excited about. Of course being in a junior suite I did not have access to breakfast or lunch. But the service was indeed great.

21 minutes ago, Oliver said:

I was in a Junior Suite on the Ovation ofthat  the Seas in July and it was our first time trying Coastal Kitchen. While I agree that the service is much better and the I love smaller dining room compared to the MDR I did not find the quality of the food significantly better the the MDR. A little better yes. If I have access to it there I certainly will. But not enough to get super excited about. Of course being in a junior suite I did not have access to breakfast or lunch. But the service was indeed great.

I agree with this, completely. 

Another dish I really enjoyed was the chicken (I think broiled) on the classics menu in CK.  One evening, I wasn't excited about any of the specials, so I tried it.  It was really good and much lighter than a lot of other options.  It was served on a bed of zucchini, squash and peppers with a light basting sauce.  

15 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

Another dish I really enjoyed was the chicken (I think broiled) on the classics menu in CK.  One evening, I wasn't excited about any of the specials, so I tried it.  It was really good and much lighter than a lot of other options.  It was served on a bed of zucchini, squash and peppers with a light basting sauce.  

I had that with the Cauliflower Fried Rice from the Night 7 menu.  The grilled the chicken with shrimp and tossed it into the rice.  It was one of the best meals of the cruise!

5 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Sailing on Symphony 9/14-21.  This will be our first time staying in an owner’s suite on an Oasis class ship.  What’s the main difference between Coastal Kitchen and the MDR?  Should we just eat in the CK every night?

Sign up one more for the CK!  TRUST ME, once you have been to CK and you try to go back to the MDR you won't be very happy!  I honestly couldn't believe the difference and am looking forward to my next CK experience!  Even if the CK has the exact same meal that they are serving in the MDR it will be FAR better in CK.  Try one night in each but just be ready to go ahead and book the rest of the cruise in the CK!!?

On 8/22/2019 at 2:32 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I had that with the Cauliflower Fried Rice from the Night 7 menu.  The grilled the chicken with shrimp and tossed it into the rice.  It was one of the best meals of the cruise!

Cauliflower rice was AMAZING! Wife got that and I had instant regret after I tasted it!!

DB857B73-25DE-4585-A973-3B315524146A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I couldn't tell you but if you go to the app and go to Coastal Kitchen,  you can check the menus.

Sorry, I thought you were on board at the moment and talked to someone about that.  I forgot that the app has the menus.

1 minute ago, bhageerah said:

Cauliflower rice was AMAZING! 

I know right?!!!  I love that dish.  Next time ask them to toss grilled chicken and shrimp into it.  It's even better that way!

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I know right?!!!  I love that dish.  Next time ask them to toss grilled chicken and shrimp into it.  It's even better that way!

Ok just for the record if I ever get  the opportunity to meet you on a group cruise just go ahead and expect a hug from me for that idea! Never would have thought about it but I also know that it would be an absolute wonderful dish!!! And yes I’m drooling now just thinking about it!! ?