Ovation of the Seas info?

Greyhound

Hello All, First, thanks to Matt for great info. We are taking RC Ovation of the Seas next August-- Alaska cruise. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. Matt suggests buying the unvlimited drink package, which is now $65. My question is how much does RC charge per drink? Trying to see whether the package or buying drinks a la carte makes more sense. Any dining recommendations? Any other info about the ship would be appreciated. 

On 8/22/2019 at 8:00 AM, Greyhound said:

Hello All, First, thanks to Matt for great info. We are taking RC Ovation of the Seas next August-- Alaska cruise. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. Matt suggests buying the unvlimited drink package, which is now $65. My question is how much does RC charge per drink? Trying to see whether the package or buying drinks a la carte makes more sense. Any dining recommendations? Any other info about the ship would be appreciated. 

I say buy drink package and watch for a sale as you can always cancel and re-buy it the sale price.

I’m all for a drink package in the Caribbean but I tend to avoid them in Alaska unless I’m in with a group that likes to drink.  

In Alaska I’m all about experiencing Alaska including late nights to see everything since the days are longer.  With long port days I’m all about being off the ship and experiencing Alaskan ports.  With a port intensive itinerary there isn’t as much opportunity to drink on sea days.  

Most important I like to take pictures in the evening so I’m outside watching magnificent sunsets and sunrises in the morning. Drinking seems to hinder that so I have a few but drink a lot less compared to the Caribbean. 

12 hours ago, twangster said:

I’m all for a drink package in the Caribbean but I tend to avoid them in Alaska unless I’m in with a group that likes to drink.  

In Alaska I’m all about experiencing Alaska including late nights to see everything since the days are longer.  With long port days I’m all about being off the ship and experiencing Alaskan ports.  With a port intensive itinerary there isn’t as much opportunity to drink on sea days.  

Most important I like to take pictures in the evening so I’m outside watching magnificent sunsets and sunrises in the morning. Drinking seems to hinder that so I have a few but drink a lot less compared to the Caribbean. 

THIS. I could justify a drink package in the Caribbean, but not Alaska. Just my opinion, but I want to take in the entire Alaskan experience and spend my entire port days off the ship. If you’re a big drinker or with a big group that drinks, it may be worth it. 

As far as pricing, cocktails are around $12 a piece on the ship. I’m not sure about the entire beer lineup, but Blue Moon was around $7.50, depending on the bar. 

We had no problems justifying the drink package on Ovation in Alaska.  The mornings were filled with expensive, premium coffees from Cafe @270, there was always a pre dinner drink or two, a couple during dinner, an after-dinner drink. On sea days there were a few more slipped in here and there throughout the day.  But everyone is different.  Mr SpeedNoodles spent a lot of time at the Bionic Bar, lol.