Experienced cruisers top 5 tips for newbies

I suggest searching that topic on youtube - I've managed to find a bunch of useful and helpful tips from a wide range of people (The owner of this website also has a ton of information on his youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/RoyalCaribbeanBlog?app=desktop.). Also try using the search bar here, there have been lots of tips in the past.

1. Dont over pack. (You'd be surprised how much people pack, then dont need, use, or wear half of it)

2. Do your research and have reasonable expectations. 

3. Make new friends. Cruising can be and is a very social atmosphere. Enjoy the company. 

4. Sanitize your cabin. I know the cabin stewards clean pretty well... but a small bottle of bleach water, lysol wipes, and 5 mins of your time really can make a difference. 

5. Its your vacation.... do as much or as little as your want!

Cheers

• Make sure you have all the necessary documents ready when you arrive.  Double and triple check.  Nothing will get you off to a bad start than having to go through an extra long check in because you forgot something.  Do as much online check in as possible.
  • Research your ports as much as possible.  The folks at the excursion desk are very helpful, but the lines to speak with them will get long as the port arrival time gets closer.
  • If you or your kids have any special requirements, call RC ahead of time and ask.  They are very good at having what you need ready to go when you arrive.
  • Be aware that you may not get your luggage until later in the day on embarkation day, so make sure you have what you need for the afternoon in a carry-on.
  • Not sure of the actual ages of your kids, but RC us very good at organized activities for kids of all ages.  Look into what they offer and make sure you don't have to sign up ahead of time to take advantage of them.

1. Don't be up until 2 am the night before you leave packing.  Pace yourself and don't over pack. every little item adds up in a suitcase and if you are flying every little bit counts. get to port city at least one day before.

2.  Try new foods. I have to consciously do this. I am  a notorious steak and potatoes guy. if it ain't broke why fix it kinda attitude.

3. Meet new people. Go for the table for 8 in the Main Dining Room. As much as we all want to keep to ourselves, it typically ends up being fun to get to know people onboard.

4. Be aware that in port, locals can be pushy trying to get you to come into their shop or buy there wares. There use to be a young gal at the Straw Market in Nassau that would say "free free' as she put a bracelet on you, and then say "$5 tip please" . NOT meant to scare your. Just be on your toes.

5. Don't be afraid to let your children enjoy the kids club. Have time for yourselves and have a Miami Vice at the bar...or 5.

Just finished our first cruise, so no longer a "cruise virgin" here...

1. (opinion) Better overpacked than underpacked. That said, you'll learn for next time.
  2. Be open to new experiences, particularly food. We loved trying stuff out in the MDR and in the specialty restaurants we went to. (Can we say "food coma" and "foodgasam"? I knew we could.)
  3. Tip your tour guides. We booked our excursions through Royal and most of our tour guides told us that they work second jobs, so it's worth it to tip a few extra bucks if you enjoyed the excursion. Bonus: Chat with the locals. They may have some stories you don't get as part of the official tour.
  4. Take time to disconnect. I got the internet package as a means to keep in touch with my folks who dog-sat for us (ended up using more to arrange an interview for a new job), but since I really couldn't do much, it was nice to not be scrolling my Facebook or Instagram whenever my phone was out.
  5. Sunscreen, hydration, and nutrition. Use it, drink, and have some food.

These are tips I would give to anyone trying to cruise for the  first time..not specific to family or kids etc as I don't have them to travel with.....

1)inside rooms aren't that bad at all..and afford you more $ to spend elsewhere or on more cruises.

2)Get to the port early and on the ship....those first cpl hours with the ship almost empty is a great way to familiarize yourself to the ship and enjoy some drinks and food

3)Don't try to fit everything into every day...we usually pick 2 things we really want to do/see/experience in the cruise compass each day and enjoy those things without feeling rush or pressured

4)Be friendly and get to know the bartenders (if you drink)....its great to see a familiar face each day and it can go a long ways towards making your cruise even more enjoyable.

5) Be prepared for mayhem the last morning..between the windjammer and lines to get off and elevators it will be an experience....give yourself lots of time and try not to be in a rush to get anywhere that am as it just makes it more stressful!