Roatan, Honduras

Deedeelynn

when i went, i did not see any taxis, but this was around 10 years ago. the area outside of the gated in port was impoverished, and a child maybe about 8 or 9 gave us a walking tour to the artisan shops down the dirt street. it was nice, and we tipped him but If i had known about the monkey encounters, i would have done that. 

2 hours ago, Deedeelynn said:

First time going to this port, was wondering what beaches are the best to visit! Do you advise booking directly through the ship or picking up taxis at the port? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

We are trying the Maya Key Private Island Retreat offered by Royal and I believe by 3rd parties.  In addition to the beach, there is an animal rescue center, etc.   This will be our first time.  I've read good reviews about Tabyana, too, although my brochure says the max age is 65.

I know you asked for beaches, but I wanted to mention that we visted Daniel Johnson's Sloth hangout and LOVED it. Really a cool stop. You can visit the park for a small entry fee, or book a snorkeling and scenic tour package through them as well. The snorkeling guides were really down to earth and helpful. I was too afraid to hop into the water so they let me tag along for the boat ride and some nice conversation! :) 

4 hours ago, Allen2 said:

Taxis are easy, reliable, and available.  If you wish, you driver will stay with you for the return trip.  Also the island tours by taxi are decent.

Awesome! I was hoping you could pick up something at the port. We wanted to go to Big Key, but when I finally made up my mind, it was all booked up through RCL! I will try at the port! Thank you! 

Check out https://www.boddentours.com/ they have fully customizable excursions that you can do, and the prices are really affordable. We will be using them when we visit Roatan in February. We are doing the "best of roatan private tour" with upgrades to go to a sloth/monkey sanctuary, horseback riding on the beach, and then Sol Y Mar beach club. all for $95pp

20 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Tabyana Beach is a good spot. Went there in 2009. I dont think you can go wrong with ANY spot on West Bay Beach, though. Roatan, overall, is an amazing place.  

We did Tabyana as an RC excursion (got it for $49 per person on sale) in May of this year while on Harmony (its first visit to this island!), and had a great time!  The snorkeling is absolutely unbelievable, and is VERY easy right off the beach.  Lunch was included, besides.  I wouldn't hesitate to go back again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 3:34 PM, ChessE4 said:

We are trying the Maya Key Private Island Retreat offered by Royal and I believe by 3rd parties.  In addition to the beach, there is an animal rescue center, etc.   This will be our first time.  I've read good reviews about Tabyana, too, although my brochure says the max age is 65.

We are also booked for Maya Key next February - our first time, too!  

Our booking is for 8 am - does anyone know if that is the time we need to meet the ferry to get to Maya Key (I assume it is, in which case we need to allow some time to get off the ship).  

Also - can anyone confirm that the main dining room opens at 7 am on Harmony?  We'd like to be able to grab breakfast at the buffet in the dining room before we disembark (we don't like to miss meals on the ship!)?

Thanks to all!

Jeff