to Key or not to Key?

The purchase of The Key is going to depend on what stateroom class you are in as well as your current status with the C&A, I know others may say different but for us it just really is not worth the extra cost.  We really do not need the internet access, and a few other features come with our choice of stateroom so it really just does not make financial sense to purchase it.  But as previously stated it depends on you and a few other features.  You may want to elaborate on your C&A level and what type of stateroom you are staying in, that may help others guide you to a definitive decision.  ?

I also think it depends on the ship you are sailing on.    Larger ships have more Broadway type shows so  the special seating is an advantage.

Do you unplug while cruising? My husband and I always get Voom, but only for 1.  That would be @12 per day for 1 Voom only compared to the Key at 40 for 2 people.  Do the math...you could use that money to buy specialty dinners for multiple nights, and OMG, WOAH is me have to show up for a show 30 mins out for a seat.  

I am on the I would rather pay for a great excursion than the Key.  

I would rather pay more and book a suite.  

To me you need to do the math.  Is the chops lunch, the specialty line for embarkation, the reserved seating and the debarkation breakfast worth the money.

I am testing out the key with my wife on our last minute cruise coming soon(mariner sept 9th). This is a splurge cruise to celebrate my big project at work being finished. I don't get much vacation time, so I am all about paying for whatever I can to make my time off super relaxing and convenient. For me cruising is a chance  to do fun activities or lounging with as little effort as possible. Carrying around luggage or fighing the crowds on embarkment day for lunch, waiting in line for shows ect....  I can handle these things, but I don't wanna

We bought the Key for our Cruise on Liberty this month.  I hate lines and waiting on people so to me its worth every penny if it saves me some time not having to stand in line.  

Embarkation, reserved seats, special times for activities like flowrider or rock wall, priority at ports of call, not having to check towels, disembarkation, internet package included....Its worth it for us! 

Hi @bburke!

I agree 100% with @SpeedNoodles ... we purchased the Key (along with our friends) back in May on Allure and absolutely loved it at $19.99/day!

If you want the VOOM package anyway and you can get the Key in that price range, then the decision is much easier since all of the nice perks are effectively less than $10-$15/day. My wife and I are not booking suites any time soon ? and are only Platinum in Crown & Anchor so it's the only way to enjoy these perks. You're going to get opinions for and against, but it all depends on how you value the perks.

3 hours ago, bburke said:

Thank you all for your input. you've giving me some things to think about?

This will be our second RCCL cruise and we'll be sailing on Adventure of the Seas in a balcony room 

Some balcony rooms have perks with them already, e.g., neighborhood balconies on the Harmony, for example.  That may affect your decision-making.

i bpight the Key as i had already booked a Voom surf and stream for $15 a day.

My reasoning included 2x surf and stream as would each get a device ($30 p day) and 2 meals (chops lunch embarcation and special Bfast on debarcation.  At least an extra $40-$50 on a 5 day sailing pp.  So was hoping early embark and late debark would be worth it.

Will let you know if we got our $199 worth.  Given the 1/2 device package has gone down since i booked?

I think just like room choice, team drink pkg etc, the key is a highly subjective and personal decision.  I don't look at it as 19 per day, but at least 38 because everyone in the room has to get it.  Right there I know I'd never get the value out of it if we have any kids with us.  Then in addition, I know I usually end up doing specialty dinner one night at least, so the lunch isn't really something I'd normally do.  I will say after my Europe trip that you might want it if you have a lot of tender ports and aren't doing royal excursions.  

My guess is that I will never purchase it, because we will usually share the 1 device so that makes the value go v down even further.  Jane