Is internet worth it on royal Caribbean?

Peter2

It will depend on the ship, the older ships use older satellite connectivity and are slower, the newer ships have newer satellites and are faster.

I'm assuming here that you are referencing a Caribbean sailing, because Alaska and other parts of the globe change this.

IMO, yes, it is worth it, my wife can keep up with her Facebook and games and even stream movies.

But I will let the expert answer your actual speed question, @twangster

Speeds vary by two levels of plans available.  

“Surf” is good for basic needs.  

“Surf and Stream” is faster.  

Typical Surf & Stream is 4Mbps down & 2 Mbps up per user.  

Speeds don’t vary much between ships but newer ships have newer technology with lower latency so it seems faster. 

Royal used to have the fastest internet at sea.  It’s still very good as cruise internet goes, just not the fastest anymore.  

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

Speeds vary by two levels of plans available.  

“Surf” is good for basic needs.  

“Surf and Stream” is faster.  

Typical Surf & Stream is 4Mbps down & 2 Mbps up per user.  

Speeds don’t vary much between ships but newer ships have newer technology with lower latency so it seems faster. 

Royal used to have the fastest internet at sea.  It’s still very good as cruise internet goes, just not the fastest anymore.  

What cruise company has the fastest? 

We had surf and stream on our ROTS Alaska southbound sailing last month. Horrible speeds and coverage, but I was expecting that for the reasons @twangster stated above. We will be headed back to do the same sailing in two years. Will not purchase it again for that sailing. We have AT&T and were able to use data and not get dinged for international roaming. It was faster than surf and stream. Same AT&T  bill as always (no surprises). Check with your carrier, please don't take my word for it! ?

I like to buy one Surf & Stream access (with the soda package for my husband's Diet Coke addiction) and enough Surf Voyages (the non-streaming one) for the rest of us.  This way we all have at least basic internet access for using wifi apps to communicate on the ship and check emails, etc.  If any of us need the streaming access for other more advanced things, we share it one person at a time. 

In my opinion it’s not worth it but I also don’t have a “need” for it. I enjoy the time off the grid and usually have cell coverage at some point or at least free WiFi while in port somewhere so I can check calls and emails. I can’t imagine paying the price they charge regardless of speed, but to each their own!

On 8/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, Biff215 said:

In my opinion it’s not worth it but I also don’t have a “need” for it. I enjoy the time off the grid and usually have cell coverage at some point or at least free WiFi while in port somewhere so I can check calls and emails. I can’t imagine paying the price they charge regardless of speed, but to each their own!

Ceil and I feel the same way.  It's nice to tell work that we are unreachable for those 1 or 2 weeks a year.  It makes it sort of a like a real vacation! ?

We've both tried the free 1 day of internet we both get as diamond and find it useless.  No kidding, for us it is more trouble than what its worth.  I can't ever imagine paying for it...

17 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Talking about on any Royal Caribbean ship? What speeds do you normally get?

It is a lifestyle decision.  We purchased it for our son, but when we travel as a couple, we don't need it, as @Biff215 stated.  My wife's cell phone company allows texting if we need it in an emergency, and at the Diamond level we each get a free day of internet.  I recommend trying a cruise without wifi or internet and all that jazz.  Then you'll know if you can make the lifestyle adjustment.  Also, it depends a little if you are going to get a soda package combined with Voom (to save a couple of $$ per day).

But if you must work on your cruise, you're going to want some type of Voom coverage.

Super fast on Anthem. We had the 2 device plan and my son watched his Kindle the whole cruise without a problem, and if I remember very little to no buffering. My wife and I shared the other and had really no idea. I was quite impressed and will have the internet going forward. We are on Anthem next month and will be getting the 2 device plan again. 

This is one of the topics we as first time cruisers really struggle with. With the sale, we decided to go for it, and we went all in with 4 devices (family of four). We go on the Allure in December.  We are a bit of phone addicts, and it being end of year, I want to stay connected to work stuff. Kids are only 6 and 4, but anyways we plan to take a bit of rest in the cabin, they can watch a movie, while I and the mrs enjoy a drink on our balcony. Worth the 166€ they wanted for our 7 day cruise? Not sure but it was much better than the prices before the sale.

3 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Also if I get the 2 device surf and stream internet package can I share it with my friend?

Yes..the 2-device package will allow 2 devices to be logged in at the same time.  You could share it with as many people as you like, but there can be only 2 devices logged in at the same time.  

I found out "The Key" comes with internet and figured since I'll be needing internet why not also enjoy the benefits of "The Key"

Although it's a bit pricier for some budgets, I personally think its a great idea to become "The Key" member.

Still crunching all the numbers from drink package, the key, excursion, and on-board activity in my budget for my very first cruise in Jan, 2020. ?

16 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Can you text message on a android phone with just WiFi?

You can if the WiFi has outgoing internet services enabled.  That typically means you have to buy an internet plan on a Royal ship.

You can test it on your phone at home by putting your phone into airplane mode and then connecting to WiFi.  Check to see if you can send/receive text messages still as putting the phone in airplane mode will keep it disconnected from your cellular service.

Just had the Surf Package on Allure's most recent sailing. Works fine to surf and do basic posts on Facebook, surf Instagram, and check emails. I was able to play one of the games on my tablet with relative ease. You will not be able to do updates or download new apps on the Surf only option.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:10 AM, AshleyDillo said:

You can test it on your phone at home by putting your phone into airplane mode and then connecting to WiFi.  Check to see if you can send/receive text messages still as putting the phone in airplane mode will keep it disconnected from your cellular service.

:101_point_up::101_point_up:just the info I've been waiting to come across here in the last couple days!! Thank you!!! Pretty much everything else has been answered (and then some) ?

We found it super helpful to know where our teens were.  We have androids and installed Google hangout and set up a family account that had all of us in a group text.  Also I had zero issues feeding my online game addiction that requires some decent wifi (doesn't work in the doctor's office when I sit there for 4 hours for testing).  We ended up with a 4 device package surf and stream for $27/day (so less than $7/day per device).  We were on Adventure going to Canada.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:59 PM, tiny260 said:

It will depend on the ship, the older ships use older satellite connectivity and are slower, the newer ships have newer satellites and are faster.

I'm assuming here that you are referencing a Caribbean sailing, because Alaska and other parts of the globe change this.

IMO, yes, it is worth it, my wife can keep up with her Facebook and games and even stream movies.

But I will let the expert answer your actual speed question, @twangster

I do know this just got off alluringly Sunday I had the.voom it was ok for what I needed but t they had  satLite problems most of cruise and there app really sucked so 

I find the internet to be quite good. If you have ever sailed on Norwegian (even their newest ships) RC internet blows them completely out of the water (no pun intended). I have even had luck using Wi-Fi calling depending on how strong your signal is (with Surf+Stream) package.So if I talk to someone using Cellular at Sea @ $5.99 minute, after 2 minutes, the plan pays for itself.

Some people just like to turn their phones off and for that I commend you but I'm just too addicted to the web lol.

I'm a cruise newbie here.

I'm curious how do you guys keep in touch with each other on board?
For example, my mom and I, I might have to go for activities (Laser Tags, Escape Room...etc) while my mom be chilling out somewhere.
If we purchase only one device plan, how do we get a hold of each other?