Back to the FUTURE of private islands - Mariner of the Seas August 30, 2019

Matt

3 hours ago, Matt said:

As it stands now, I would be surprised if the cruise actually occurs given the path of the storm and that we would be in or around the Bahamas/Florida right when the storm is scheduled to enter the area.

Fingers crossed for what JVF is hoping for...that it crosses Hispaniola and loses some steam.

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Hoping mine doesn't cancel, it would seriously mess up my crystal block strategy ?

#poorpoorBot

I have no doubt that you have a back up plan for the block. lol

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I might be in the air flying to Florida when they decide something.

That's an even better question, and for someone like yourself it creates a greater element of uncertainty: If there is a change/cancellation, when does it get called?

Earliest would be Wednesday, but I could see them waiting until Thursday.

News overnight is zero chance of us getting Perfect Day at CocoCay. Royal Caribbean closed down the island until next week.

New storm track is taking it further north with higher intensity.  

Word on the street is we should get an itinerary update by 3pm. Not sure if it will be for our sailing, but we're in full "wait and see" mode.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am also waiting for my Navigator Itinerary.. I have a feeling Saturday will be a Sea Day and Sunday is up in the air.. Since the storm shifted north I am very confident Navigator and Symphony will still be sailing.. But your mariner sailing I wonder what they will do because it looks like coming back on Monday could be an issue.. 

19 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Since the storm shifted north I am very confident Navigator and Symphony will still be sailing

Yes, the new track definitely favors your chances of going.

19 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

But your mariner sailing I wonder what they will do because it looks like coming back on Monday could be an issue.

Agreed, however, I'm curious to see if track changes further north again. Yesterday I felt good about our chances of a cruise to nowhere, but now I'm not so sure.

I do not envy Royal Caribbean's position in all this. It's a no-win situation. If they cancel, some people will be upset. If they go with the cruise, some people will be upset.

3 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If there's a big chance that the cruise may be extended by a day or two because the storm will prevent the ship from getting back into port, will that make a difference in whether you chose to go at all?

No because Monday is Labor Day and I don't have work.

We'll know soon enough.  

Looks like it may graze St. Croix and run the gap between St. Thomas, St. Croix and Puerto Rico.  If it does then there is little land mass to slow it down or break it up, just warm water to feed on as it makes its way to the US mainland.  

IMG_2311.thumb.jpg.da77b9149eddac1d208c98754486f2cd.jpg

I saw it's around 65 mph now, so I'm expecting hurricane status soon.

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, the new track definitely favors your chances of going.

Agreed, however, I'm curious to see if track changes further north again. Yesterday I felt good about our chances of a cruise to nowhere, but now I'm not so sure.

I do not envy Royal Caribbean's position in all this. It's a no-win situation. If they cancel, some people will be upset. If they go with the cruise, some people will be upset.

I agree with you some people will be happy and some people won't with whatever Royal decides.. I personally am hoping Navigator just does a cruise to nowhere as long as we go far enough out to sea for me to gamble lol.. 

4 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

If there's a big chance that the cruise may be extended by a day or two because the storm will prevent the ship from getting back into port, will that make a difference in whether you chose to go at all?

No because Monday is Labor Day and I don't have work.

With the current path, still debating whether to go on the cruise or not.

Going on the cruise means we get a mental break from the otherwise anxiety and anticipation of the coming storm and everything that happens when you sit in your house for 48-72 hours as the storm passes.

On the flip side, if I'm on the ship, I'm concerned that I could mitigate any damage/issues that arise by being there, such as placing a towel or bucket to minimize minor flooding.

No further word yet from Royal Caribbean other than clearly we are a go for departure tomorrow.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:02 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

? USD!

Thrill Park Cabanas are $999 USD for our December 2020 sailing. 

I am a little annoyed at how Coco Cay cabana prices are not consistent like Barefoot Beach cabanas.  While not everything is a money grab, the cabanas there definitely are.

I know the thread took a turn towards the hurricane... but that price is crazy! We're on Navigator 9/13 and the Perfect Day Thrill Park Cabanas are still listed as $399 for our cruise. Which was pretty shocking to me. Chill and Oasis Cabanas are sitting at $599 and the Day Beds are listed at $299. I'm watching to see if the day beds go on sail this weekend.

Sorry for your cruise worries @Matt! Hope it works out alright. The best part of a cruise to me is the not having to worry about anything or any schedule. This is basically the exact opposite of that.

40 minutes ago, Ala_Paul said:

I know the thread took a turn towards the hurricane... but that price is crazy! We're on Navigator 9/13 and the Perfect Day Thrill Park Cabanas are still listed as $399 for our cruise. Which was pretty shocking to me. Chill and Oasis Cabanas are sitting at $599 and the Day Beds are listed at $299.

I have been told that the price varies by ships and sailing.  I have also been told that Oasis class sailings are being charged more than Voyager class sailings. My prices are for Harmony December 2020. I have no other sailings going to Coco Cay that I can compare it to. However, looking at what others are posting, I can pretty much draw the conclusion that what I have been told is correct.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Going on the cruise means we get a mental break from the otherwise anxiety and anticipation of the coming storm and everything that happens when you sit in your house for 48-72 hours as the storm passes.

"Remember that time daddy went on a cruise and left us at home to ride out a hurricane?" ?

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

"Remember that time daddy went on a cruise and left us at home to ride out a hurricane?" ?

Parent of the Year award. ?

Kidding of course. It is such a hard decision. We faced something like this with Irma. Not a cruise but we were scheduled to arrive at Disney two days before Irma was expected to arrive. I felt so much anxiety over decided to go or not.

Delta was already offering the waiver of change fees and so was Disney. We decided to go anyway and I was sick to my stomach. The plane from DTW to MCO was less than 1/3 full. My family thought that we were nuts.

In the end we lost 1 park day but would do it again. The parks were empty the week that we were there because there were so many cancellations.  

When you book any vacation during hurricane season, you have responsibility to expect that it is a real possibility. No one can control the weather. And Royal is being more than generous. People need to look at the bigger picture. Yes the situation is not good, but there are also people out in the Caribbean and Florida who have much bigger problems at the moment than their vacation plans being ruined. Let’s just pray that everyone gets out of this safely. Sorry about the blog hijack @Matt. Rant over. Back to regular programming. ?

3 hours ago, Matt said:

With the current path, still debating whether to go on the cruise or not.

On the flip side, if I'm on the ship, I'm concerned that I could mitigate any damage/issues that arise by being there, such as placing a towel or bucket to minimize minor flooding.

No further word yet from Royal Caribbean other than clearly we are a go for departure tomorrow.

This is exactly why I want to go on Navigator.. I hate sitting at home waiting for a storm. it drives me crazy lol 

Just got a 3pm update and no change to our itinerary.

We've been closely monitoring Hurricane Dorian, and while the storm has slowed down a bit, we continue to evaluate its path and trajectory. The American and European weather models still have the storm going two separate ways. Given its path, our sailing will depart as planned on August 30th, 2019.

Next update at 6pm

5 hours ago, Ala_Paul said:

Sorry for your cruise worries @Matt! Hope it works out alright. The best part of a cruise to me is the not having to worry about anything or any schedule. This is basically the exact opposite of that.

I haven't been very excited for this cruise during the week becasue of all the considerations, but my wife and I agree it's better to be on the ship than stuck at home riding through the storm.

12 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So are you going?? 

I was wondering if Matt was planning to go too.  It must be quite a heavy thing to consider leaving your home under these conditions.  I hope for the best for all FL residents.  We'll be praying for you all over the next several days.

Hate saying this... Even a Wednesday return is starting to look less favorable. However this storm has been somewhat unpredictable.

If the current projected path holds true the Orlando region would be impacted on Wednesday. Even if the port was open I doubt Royal would want guests to head towards the storm for flights.

My prediction is this sailing might turn in to a full week one.