Back to the FUTURE of private islands - Mariner of the Seas August 30, 2019

Matt

6fc1.gif

@Big Dawg Ron: Matt! You've gotta come back with me!

Matt: Where?

@Big Dawg Ron Back to Perfect Day at CocoCay!

Matt: Whoa, wait a minute, Ron. What are you talking about? What happens at Perfect Day at CocoCay? What, do we sign up for a cruise with @monorailmedic or something?

@Big Dawg Ron No, no, no, no, no, Matt. You turn out fine.  It's your weekend, Matt. Something gotta be done about your long weekend!

-----

Friends, it's time to go back on board Mariner of the Seas over Labor Day weekend for a quick jaunt to Perfect Day at CocoCay, and a return to a live blog here on the forums!

With an extra day off on Monday for the Labor Day holiday, I couldn't help myself but book a quick weekend cruise on Mariner. Originally I was on Navigator of the Seas this weekend until a certain person decided to hold a celebration of their final days of being single there and I was forced to change ships.

Akz3.gif

Instead, we are headed back on Mariner of the Seas and down to Perfect Day at CocoCay.  Another visit to Perfect Day at CocoCay is always welcome, and these weekend sailings line up quite well with my schedule. I can work until lunch on Friday, head over to the port and then wrap up my day while onboard the ship.  Then the rest of the weekend is enjoyed onboard the ship!

Not only am I looking forward to getting back to Perfect Day at CocoCay, I am looking forward to @mpoole3 not ruining the weather this time around.

DSC_0164.JPG

Cabin

For this cruise, we have a category 2T Promenade View Interior room. 

As I recall, prices for a balcony were a bit out there and a Promenade room gives us a much better value.  Plus, on a 3-night cruise without kids, how much time will I really spend in there?

IMG_3998.JPG?itok=kno386kh

We will visit Nassau and Perfect Day at CocoCay.

No plans booked for Nassau yet. Will wait and see what I feel like and then decide on something. 

For Perfect Day at CocoCay, I reserved an Oasis Lagoon cabana in the name of "science".  I've stayed in the Thrill Waterpark and Chill Island cabanas, so now I need to try the Oasis Lagoon Cabanas to fill out the trifecta.

perfectday_live_54.jpg

The live blog kicks off on August 30. Until then, I will be counting down the days until we depart.

BELF.gif

• Matt changed the title to Back to the FUTURE of private islands - Mariner of the Seas August 30, 2019
1 hour ago, twangster said:

Did Sabrina put you up to starting this blog a full 11 days before your cruise? :4_joy:

34 minutes ago, Matt said:

I promised I wasn't going to say anything!

Let us make note again here that this blog was started 11 days pre-cruise. Brilliance live blog was 6 weeks. We will come back to this for future reference. ??

In terms of pre-cruise purchases, nothing terribly surprising for a short cruise, but this is what we've come up with so far....

Deluxe Beverage Package for me, Refreshment Package for my wife

giphy.gif giphy.gif

I think this is the first time I've called Royal Caribbean to get an exemption for the "two adults in a room" drink package rule.  Usually my wife gets the DX package too, but as @mpoole3 can attest to, spouses breaking even on that ain't easy.

giphy.gif

I think with my Diamond Plus discount, it's probably a wash in terms of buying it onboard or online, but I prefer to buy it online and reduce that final cruise bill.

Izumi Hibachi

Thus far, we have decided to book Izumi Hibachi for one night (day one) and then figure out what to do the other two nights.

Izumi Hibachi is one of my favorite dining venues on any Royal Caribbean ship. It's fun, filling and there's sake.

DSC_0690_0.jpg

59911610_10219095719327025_2088592078639464448_n.jpg

Since we've been on Mariner extensively this year, I'm not hard pressed to hit up the other specialty restaurants.  Plus, I enjoy the main dining room and I do not think we have eaten in the MDR on this ship this year.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:27 PM, Matt said:

For Perfect Day at CocoCay, I reserved an Oasis Lagoon cabana in the name of "science".  I've stayed in the Thrill Waterpark and Chill Island cabanas, so now I need to try the Oasis Lagoon Cabanas to fill out the trifecta.

perfectday_live_54.jpg

I'm looking forward to your assessment of the Oasis Lagoon cabanas - We have one booked for our "girl's trip" in early December (yep, the one we snagged for $309 - hehe)

9 hours ago, tadebbie said:

Just came off Mariner on August 9th. Sailing again with my daughter this time on 8/30.  See you then!!

If you see me onboard, please come say hello!

5 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm looking forward to your assessment of the Oasis Lagoon cabanas - We have one booked for our "girl's trip" in early December (yep, the one we snagged for $309 - hehe)

You got a much better deal than I did.  

I'll be curious how I like them, or more to the point, how different it is from the other cabanas.  My working theory is they are all the same, it just happens to be a question of where you want to spend your time (beach, pool, or waterpark).

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

You got a much better deal than I did.  

I'll be curious how I like them, or more to the point, how different it is from the other cabanas.  My working theory is they are all the same, it just happens to be a question of where you want to spend your time (beach, pool, or waterpark).

Similarly looking forward to @Matt's review.  WE are booked for October in an Oasis Lagoon Cabana.  Will be our first ever cabana and we managed to snag it for the bargain price of 299 which is close to what we have spent on beach bed or bungalow at Labadee.

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Is that $CAD or "real" money?  :4_joy:

? USD!

Thrill Park Cabanas are $999 USD for our December 2020 sailing. 

I am a little annoyed at how Coco Cay cabana prices are not consistent like Barefoot Beach cabanas.  While not everything is a money grab, the cabanas there definitely are.

51 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

? USD!

Thrill Park Cabanas are $999 USD for our December 2020 sailing. 

I am a little annoyed at how Coco Cay cabana prices are not consistent like Barefoot Beach cabanas.  While not everything is a money grab, the cabanas there definitely are.

I didn’t know you were bilingual.  You speak USD and CAD.  ?

I wonder if the proximity to Florida and the short cruise market which are less expensive cruises are some of the source of the supply and demand effect.  Perhaps if a group is paying less to cruise they may be more likely to pool money and splurge on a Cabana.  

Whatever the reason, people are paying it because if they were empty the prices would drop.  

19 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It is interesting to see how aggressive RC has been in PDAC pricing, especially once they realized they had a hit on their hands.

Then again, perhaps I'm more surprised they haven't moved Labadee cabana prices much.

1 hour ago, MotleyCruiser said:

Is this a time share. Do you get a Deed?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Both my sisters and their families are on this sailing with me and we can't even justify it as a split.

At least with the Thrill Waterpark cabanas, you get water park admission included.  For six people, and considering water park admission creeping closer to $100 per person, it's not a terrible value (assuming you can overlook the general price increase compared to what it used to be).

With the Tropical Storm Dorian, these last few days are proving to be interesting. Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect. 

It sounds like we won't really get a "ruling on the field" as it pertains to our sailing until Wednesday or Thursday. 

As it stands now, I would be surprised if the cruise actually occurs given the path of the storm and that we would be in or around the Bahamas/Florida right when the storm is scheduled to enter the area.

58 minutes ago, Matt said:

With the Tropical Storm Dorian, these last few days are proving to be interesting. Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect. 

It sounds like we won't really get a "ruling on the field" as it pertains to our sailing until Wednesday or Thursday. 

As it stands now, I would be surprised if the cruise actually occurs given the path of the storm and that we would be in or around the Bahamas/Florida right when the storm is scheduled to enter the area.

Yeah Your Mariner sailing looks problematic because it now looks like the storm will hit Melborne area and you would have to sail south right into the storm.. I do think however My Navigator and the 3 night Symphony sailing will be fine.. I Think for my sailing they will just make Saturday a seaday and then Sunday who knows but there really is no reason to cancel the ships leaving from Miami as the storm really looks like its hitting much more north of there. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'm guessing it's really all timing and it looks like your sailing is ahead of the storm..but where do they send it once you leave Friday?  Perhaps weather exempted PVSA cruise to nowhere?

If they close the port due to predicted TS winds they get all the ships out according to these guidelines:  https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/48258/MSIB 19-007 Hurricane Port Readiness Conditions Requirements 2019.pdf

12 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I'm guessing it's really all timing and it looks like your sailing is ahead of the storm..but where do they send it once you leave Friday?  Perhaps weather exempted PVSA cruise to nowhere?

If they close the port due to predicted TS winds they get all the ships out according to these guidelines:  https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Content/Attachments/48258/MSIB 19-007 Hurricane Port Readiness Conditions Requirements 2019.pdf

Like said.. I think Navigator is Safe and will go as the storm really isn't effecting Miami too much.. But Mariner is totally a toss up..