Alaska railroad question

We purchased a hotel and train transfer with RCL in Anchorage prior to our Southbound cruise leaving Seward. I inquired with RCL as to time the train departs and whether it was the Alaskan Railroad Train leaving Anchorage at 6:45 am. or a RCL cruise train? They could not give me an answer and said I would have to wait to receive a Welcome Letter upon hotel check-in with the details on the train schedule??  I need to know the train time so that I can prepare and schedule a tour in Seward!  Has anyone purchased the hotel and train transfer through Royal and can you tell me what the Welcome Letter and/or schedule is please??

When booked through Royal the train is provided by the Alaskan Railroad but it is a charter train that operates separately from the one that can be booked by anyone directly from the Alaskan Railroad.

The Royal chartered train will depart from the train station at or near the airport in Anchorage.  It leaves around noon typically but that could vary.  The idea is that flights arriving that morning can use this transfer service.  This charter can't be booked by the general public looking for a train ride, only Royal can sell seats and they only sell seats to Royal cruisers.  You won't find this train listed on the Alaskan Railroad website.

The Alaskan Railroad offers train service to the general public.  This train leaves from the downtown train station around 6am - 7am typically.  Often people looking for a day trip to Seward will take this train.  I've used this train twice to reach cruise ships and it arrives in Seward before noon typically.    

Having said all this, anything is possible.

• Matt changed the title to Alaska railroad question

@Karma We booked our own via the Alaska Railroad. Did the Goldstar Service from ANC to Seward. Left at 0645 and was the most amazing train trip! When you check in at the ANC train depot, there is a separate area for Royal Caribbean passengers to check their luggage. You will see your luggage again in your stateroom. Don't worry, the depot is small enough that you won't miss it and it's on the outside of the building. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this train and the Goldstar service. It may become your most favorite part of your vacation! FWIW, we took an Uber from our hotel (Marriott Anchorage) to the depot. Yes, you could walk as it is already light (never was dark, really) but it's faster. There are closer hotels, but there is still a hill to walk down with your luggage if you choose to walk. When you get to Seward, you can choose to walk (or take a shuttle) to the cruise terminal (check in, get some lunch and then leave for your excursion, which is what we did).

Unfortunately it's a bit late to be making changes as availability is nil so I will await my hotel check in to see schedule for train to Seward and won't book any tours/excursions.  One thing that I need to clear up beforehand is that it sounds like our luggage is taken from the train depot direct to the ship for us which is great, however I was wondering how to deal with wine and soda that needs to be carried on ship?  Do you buy it in Anchorage and lug it around in a carry on bag/purchase it in Seward before boarding ship/put it in checked luggage??

3 hours ago, Karma said:

I was wondering how to deal with wine and soda that needs to be carried on ship? 

Alcohol is sold only in licensed stores in Alaska, so I would research where would be the easiest and most convenient place for you to buy your wine.  You won't be able to pick that up at a grocery or convenience store like you will with the soda.