Perfect Day Snorkel

devbak150

I recently read something about lots of jelly fish while snorkeling?  We are going to be there in Sept.  I have done it at DCL island in May and we didn't really have many.  Anyone have info on this?  Also, are there free roaming sting rays?  Do they have the barb still?  Again at DCL island there is a net up and the only ones in there are from their "feeding" pod and so no barb.  Just not sure how I feel about them if they have the barb.  I would be snorkeling by myself as my mother will not do it.  What do you think, worth it or not?  Anyone that can compare between Castaway and Coco? If not much different, I might just skip it and save the money on equipment.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, devbak150 said:

I recently read something about lots of jelly fish while snorkeling?  We are going to be there in Sept.  I have done it at DCL island in May and we didn't really have many.  Anyone have info on this?  Also, are there free roaming sting rays?  Do they have the barb still?  Again at DCL island there is a net up and the only ones in there are from their "feeding" pod and so no barb.  Just not sure how I feel about them if they have the barb.  I would be snorkeling by myself as my mother will not do it.  What do you think, worth it or not?  Anyone that can compare between Castaway and Coco? If not much different, I might just skip it and save the money on equipment.  Thanks!

I snorkeled in May at Coco Cay and didn't see any jellyfish.  In contrast, we've had them at Oak Island in NC -- dead on the beach every few feet.

I didn't see any rays in May but saw one in 2018 in the sand (shallow water).  Also, I've seen the occasional barracuda along with lots of other reef fish.   I snorkel off the beach with my equipment, but you can rent equipment online (snorkel at your leisure) or at Coco Cay.  There is also a boat ride to a reef for snorkeling under excursions which isn't very expensive (as excursions go).

Have fun! I will be at Coco Cay again in September...

In my experience with jelly fish, locally in Western Australia, they are there sometimes, in their thousands and at other times no where to be seen.  I've been stung and I can tell you it's NOT NICE! Similar to being burnt. This is one thing I am worrying about for my upcoming vacation. 

I saw there is a product called Seasafe, a jelly fish repellent, but it has mixed reviews on it's effectiveness.  I would be interested if anyone out there has tried it and can give a review?  

I've swam with rays at Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia - (Man that is an amazing place!  Like swimming in an aquarium and hardly any people to bother you : ).  )  They have barbs, but I saw heaps as I snorkelled they did not bother me at all.  I'd swim with a sting ray over a stinging jelly fish any day!  

I have nothing to add about Coco Cay.  Never been anywhere even close to there.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, devbak150 said:

It's the Atlantic Ocean no telling what you will find. However I have snorkeled there many time and would not have a problem doing it again.

We were there on May 23rd, 2019 and "MO" (me) went snorkeling alone.  I brought my own mask, fin, snorkel to save money!  I just want to comment quick that this is some of the best snorkeling I've done for aquatic life and I've done a lot while cruising (this was my 10th cruise).  There are lots of fish and other stuff to look at!  This was at Chill Island.  In regards to the jelly fish...I did see a whole bunch!  They were small but numerous.  They were near the sunken airplane that they won't let you near anymore right by the barrier line.  This was to the left of the floating platform swimmers can sit on that is way out there (to the left if looking from shore).  Most of them were so small I had trouble realizing what they were until I got very close.  I got the #$%^ out of the there and warned everyone near.  It should be told that the winds were very strong and really pushing the waves in.  All excursions that would be affected by wind were cancelled (no balloon that day).  It was actually a lot more work then usual to snorkel that day but was still amazingly fun!  Hope this helps!