Liberty 9/1/2019 - 8 years on land is too long!

melmar02

Final Thoughts

• The kids are hooked! This was a great experience for all of us evidenced by the two cruises we already have booked in the future. We are also thinking about a Southern Caribbean sailing in 2021, and then Alaska with a land tour in 2022 for DH's 50th birthday. The planning spreadsheets are already created!
  • We should have taken advantage of the Suite Lounge sooner. We didn't go in the morning until a couple days into the cruise, and we didn't go for happy hour until day 5. We thought since we have the drink package it wouldn't really be a benefit, but we were so wrong. Even though we had the drink package, there was something special about being pampered by the service in the suite lounge. We met some wonderful people both in the morning and during the happy hour, and we really clicked with one couple who happen to live just 10 miles from us. The kids were well behaved and felt welcomed by Eliana and the passengers in the lounge too.
  • Even with the gold card, we needed to get to the shows EARLY. 20 minutes wasn't cutting it on this cruise.
  • Of course, we over packed. We all came home with clothes that went right back into the closets. However, this was a good warm up for February when we're going to cram one more person and bag into our little SUV. We think we can all use rolling carry on bags instead of our bigger suitcases for the 5 night, and we'll be just fine.
  • I am an over planner and typically fill up every minute of a vacation with plans. I tried to take a much more laid back approach this time because the kids were with us, and I knew pool time would be at the top of their to do list. Everyone is right in that you can't do it all, and this is especially true with kids. We never made it to the rock wall, ice skating, or the family activities, and this was just fine. It was nice to just plan the big thing of the day, and then let any other activities just fill in if it felt right at the time. 
  • Internet - we're planning on purchasing the internet for my MIL in February and will probably get it for us as well. DD needed that down time.
  • Drinks - We didn't break even on the drink package... well, the kids and I may have. ?  With the coffee machine in the suite lounge and happy hour in the evening, it definitely made the daily quota of drinks go up. However, we will most likely purchase the package again due to the advantage of pre-paying. 

I'm sure I left something out. Let me know if you want details on anything else I may have missed writing about, and I'll try to get our Cruise Compasses scanned and emailed to Matt. Thanks for following along!

3 hours ago, melmar02 said:

We think we can all use rolling carry on bags instead of our bigger suitcases for the 5 night, and we'll be just fine.

This is absolutely true. Did a 5-night to Bermuda last year and my wife and I both had no problem with packing all that we needed into our carry-on size suitcases. Now that 5-night sailings just have "dress your best" instead of a true formal night, it's super-easy since you don't have to worry about packing a suit or fancy dress, or any dressier shoes.

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2019 at 3:33 PM, tdcackler said:

Finally able to come back and catch up on this. Great write up! Feeding my excitement for our cruise in February. Are you on the Liberty again in Feb 2020?

Thanks! No, we'll be on Enchantment in Feb. We're taking my MIL on her first cruise and it embarks on her birthday. We're going back on Liberty in November, 2020.