Royal Caribbean Blog

Drink Package Question

Just to confirm a few things the others have said...

1) The beer selection is below 2016 bar and/or restaurant standards. On any ship less than a Voyager class, good luck finding something that is not a mass-produced, low-quality beer (not knocking it entirely - almost everyone likes a cold, light beer on a hot day - a stout is indeed a poor option in 90 degrees with a strong sun beating down on you). On a Voyager class ship and above, however, you ought to be able to find something of higher quality, in many different brew styles. The British pubs will likely be your best bet, if not your only bet.

2) GET THE DRINK PACKAGE!!!! Look at my attached receipt. $25 for two drinks! Do not just look at an advertised price. Look at the final price after tax and gratuity, because the Premium Package is $57 after tax and gratuity. You WILL get there very quickly. And even if you get a little drink fatigue on one day, you'll make up for it on another.

post-2933-0-15516200-1455386559_thumb.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try my best to keep the data up to date

Hi I am new to the website and cruising.  My husband, sons and I went on a cruise about 10 years ago but that was through Make a Wish so everything was figured out for us.  So this is my first time tr

Yes as you're buying the bottle as opposed to sharing a drink from the package.  Great question to ask, though!

Posted Images

Keep in mind that the tax is only charged while in port, so that's not a charge you'll see continuously.

I really like the Replenish packages as I can get value out of it with the bottled water and the specialty coffees. However, our next cruise is port intensive--12 ports over a 13 night cruise--so I won't be getting the package as we're going to be off the ship 10-12 hours per day. Thus, it's hard to get any value out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading a thread at Cruise Critic where a couple people noticed that their Premium Package pricing went up. Mine is still the $57.82, so I went ahead and bought the package so I could lock in that price.

One person reported being told by a phone representative that it was "spring break pricing".

Just to confirm a few things the others have said...

1) The beer selection is below 2016 bar and/or restaurant standards. On any ship less than a Voyager class, good luck finding something that is not a mass-produced, low-quality beer (not knocking it entirely - almost everyone likes a cold, light beer on a hot day - a stout is indeed a poor option in 90 degrees with a strong sun beating down on you). On a Voyager class ship and above, however, you ought to be able to find something of higher quality, in many different brew styles. The British pubs will likely be your best bet, if not your only bet.

2) GET THE DRINK PACKAGE!!!! Look at my attached receipt. $25 for two drinks! Do not just look at an advertised price. Look at the final price after tax and gratuity, because the Premium Package is $57 after tax and gratuity. You WILL get there very quickly. And even if you get a little drink fatigue on one day, you'll make up for it on another.

I almost spit my coffee out when I read that recipt, you didn't tip!!!

Most of us remember your lecture on why it's so important to tip, especially with a drink package.

So what gives Scott?

If we purchase 1 package for the 2 of us, are they really strict about "sharing"? I am thinking primarily about bottled water, not alcoholic drinks.

Do you mean to buy a bottled water package? If so, that you can share however you wish because it's not unlimited.

If you mean bottled water from an unlimited package, then that's frowned upon and is against their rules. I don't know how strict they are about it though.

The receipt has an automatic gratuity applied already to it. Look up near the subtotal.

Yes, but Scott made the point that we should be doing a additional tip. Not sure if that recipt was a package or not but he argued under a package you should tip extra due to the amount your drinking. The more they serve the more they work. So if there's a cap on their tips under the package we should tip extra because of the high volume of drinks they are making for us.

I agree with his point, I'm not saying he's wrong. I just wanted to call him on it because he made some compelling arguments on why we should tip extra, really im just playing with him.

The whole idea of tipping is completely out of control. Just look at the definition of tipping (Gratuity)

gratuity Noun (plural gratuities)

1) A reward, service, or payment provided freely, without obligation.

2) (common usage) An additional charge placed for services rendered; see also: service fee. 

These fees are really not tips they are service fees, not based upon reward or the service provided, not even given to the person providing the service. If you walk up to a bar and ask for a Coke is the person serving it doing anything more than their basic job? I have over tipped  people when the service level provided calls for it but most cruise tipping is just a service surcharge.

Companies need to pay their employees for the work they provide and stop trying to push this myth that they are gratuities. I hate when they try to add service charges and tell me who I must tip and at what rate. This needs to go back to its core without obligation. RCI and the other cruise lines need to really look at how they do business.

Tipping is a very personal decision and is one of those "cans of worms" that can make otherwise similar people rivals much like the discussions regarding dress codes and the MDR.  In addition, tipping customs vary widely from country to country and whether or not one has worked in a service industry based on tipping.  That said, let your conscious guide you.

Generally speaking, I do not feel compelled to tip in addition to the 18% charged on the per drink price unless exceptional service is received.  However, when I am on a drink package, I do tip additional as the amount charged for the tip is minimal and I personally want to reward good service.  When the server at the coffee bar has my drink already prepared because he saw me approaching across the Centrum, I consider that above and beyond service.

Does anyone know generally how much non-alcoholic frozen drinks cost?   I'm debating between the Royal Refreshment package (unlimited fountain products) vs the Royal Replenish package (which includes coffee/tea, soda, bottled water, fresh OJ and the non-alcoholic beverages) for my 13yo daughter.   I know she is planning on getting some, no idea how many though, of the frozen drinks.  I'm wondering if it may be more worthwhile to do the less expensive package and then pay cash for her frozen drinks vs getting the upgraded package for her.   It's almost a $110 difference - cost for week including tip would be about $78 vs. $185.   

Also - what was someone referring to regarding "spring break pricing?"   I'm on the Allure during Spring Break and am now wondering if I should lock into a beverage pkg now to secure the price or not.  My plan was to purchase day boarding ship.   Didn't RC just have price increase???  

Looking at the $110 difference over a week-long cruise, that's about a $15/day difference. I'm guessing that it'd take about two or three virgin frozen drinks per day to make it worthwhile (based on an guestimate price of $6-8 each).

Do you think she might get that many drinks over the course of the cruise in addition to sodas?

Looking at the $110 difference over a week-long cruise, that's about a $15/day difference. I'm guessing that it'd take about two or three virgin frozen drinks per day to make it worthwhile (based on an guestimate price of $6-8 each).

Do you think she might get that many drinks over the course of the cruise in addition to sodas?

Doubtful - but with my daughter one never knows!  :-)   But, I was trying to figure out what the break-even might be.   I was gauging $10-14 for frozen drinks w/ alcohol.   Wasn't sure what w/out alcohol might run.  

I'm still trying to figure out which package I'm getting for myself with same rationale - if I should just get the Royal Replenish package and pay extra for alcoholic drinks I may want or just splurge on Premium package.   I generally don't drink enough to justify the more expensive package, however while cruising it's nice to partake.   Decisions...  Decisions...  

I went through the same decision. For me, the two choices were the Refreshment or the Premium package.

Given that I knew I'd be spending at least ~$10/day for sodas, then it was the difference of $47/day I needed to cover with alcoholic drinks. That'd only be about 4 alcoholic drinks per day, and I could see that when I figure in a pre-dinner drink, a couple glasses of wine with dinner, and then whatever might be enjoyed in the evenings.

My complication was that I'm Diamond, so I would get free drinks during "happy hour" in the evening, but the selection it limited, and I'd rather be able to choose whatever I want.

I did get the Premium package at $57.82/day (including gratuity). For some reason, they're not doing the spring break pricing on Freedom of the Seas.