Drink Package Question

Shelly

I almost spit my coffee out when I read that recipt, you didn't tip!!!

Most of us remember your lecture on why it's so important to tip, especially with a drink package.

So what gives Scott?

The receipt has an automatic gratuity applied already to it. Look up near the subtotal.

The receipt has an automatic gratuity applied already to it. Look up near the subtotal.

Yes, but Scott made the point that we should be doing a additional tip. Not sure if that recipt was a package or not but he argued under a package you should tip extra due to the amount your drinking. The more they serve the more they work. So if there's a cap on their tips under the package we should tip extra because of the high volume of drinks they are making for us.

I agree with his point, I'm not saying he's wrong. I just wanted to call him on it because he made some compelling arguments on why we should tip extra, really im just playing with him.

The whole idea of tipping is completely out of control. Just look at the definition of tipping (Gratuity)

gratuity Noun (plural gratuities)

1) A reward, service, or payment provided freely, without obligation.

2) (common usage) An additional charge placed for services rendered; see also: service fee. 

These fees are really not tips they are service fees, not based upon reward or the service provided, not even given to the person providing the service. If you walk up to a bar and ask for a Coke is the person serving it doing anything more than their basic job? I have over tipped  people when the service level provided calls for it but most cruise tipping is just a service surcharge.

Companies need to pay their employees for the work they provide and stop trying to push this myth that they are gratuities. I hate when they try to add service charges and tell me who I must tip and at what rate. This needs to go back to its core without obligation. RCI and the other cruise lines need to really look at how they do business.

Tipping is a very personal decision and is one of those "cans of worms" that can make otherwise similar people rivals much like the discussions regarding dress codes and the MDR.  In addition, tipping customs vary widely from country to country and whether or not one has worked in a service industry based on tipping.  That said, let your conscious guide you.

Generally speaking, I do not feel compelled to tip in addition to the 18% charged on the per drink price unless exceptional service is received.  However, when I am on a drink package, I do tip additional as the amount charged for the tip is minimal and I personally want to reward good service.  When the server at the coffee bar has my drink already prepared because he saw me approaching across the Centrum, I consider that above and beyond service.

Does anyone know generally how much non-alcoholic frozen drinks cost?   I'm debating between the Royal Refreshment package (unlimited fountain products) vs the Royal Replenish package (which includes coffee/tea, soda, bottled water, fresh OJ and the non-alcoholic beverages) for my 13yo daughter.   I know she is planning on getting some, no idea how many though, of the frozen drinks.  I'm wondering if it may be more worthwhile to do the less expensive package and then pay cash for her frozen drinks vs getting the upgraded package for her.   It's almost a $110 difference - cost for week including tip would be about $78 vs. $185.   

Also - what was someone referring to regarding "spring break pricing?"   I'm on the Allure during Spring Break and am now wondering if I should lock into a beverage pkg now to secure the price or not.  My plan was to purchase day boarding ship.   Didn't RC just have price increase???  

Looking at the $110 difference over a week-long cruise, that's about a $15/day difference. I'm guessing that it'd take about two or three virgin frozen drinks per day to make it worthwhile (based on an guestimate price of $6-8 each).

Do you think she might get that many drinks over the course of the cruise in addition to sodas?

Looking at the $110 difference over a week-long cruise, that's about a $15/day difference. I'm guessing that it'd take about two or three virgin frozen drinks per day to make it worthwhile (based on an guestimate price of $6-8 each).

Do you think she might get that many drinks over the course of the cruise in addition to sodas?

Doubtful - but with my daughter one never knows!  :-)   But, I was trying to figure out what the break-even might be.   I was gauging $10-14 for frozen drinks w/ alcohol.   Wasn't sure what w/out alcohol might run.  

I'm still trying to figure out which package I'm getting for myself with same rationale - if I should just get the Royal Replenish package and pay extra for alcoholic drinks I may want or just splurge on Premium package.   I generally don't drink enough to justify the more expensive package, however while cruising it's nice to partake.   Decisions...  Decisions...  

I went through the same decision. For me, the two choices were the Refreshment or the Premium package.

Given that I knew I'd be spending at least ~$10/day for sodas, then it was the difference of $47/day I needed to cover with alcoholic drinks. That'd only be about 4 alcoholic drinks per day, and I could see that when I figure in a pre-dinner drink, a couple glasses of wine with dinner, and then whatever might be enjoyed in the evenings.

My complication was that I'm Diamond, so I would get free drinks during "happy hour" in the evening, but the selection it limited, and I'd rather be able to choose whatever I want.

I did get the Premium package at $57.82/day (including gratuity). For some reason, they're not doing the spring break pricing on Freedom of the Seas.

I almost spit my coffee out when I read that recipt, you didn't tip!!!

Most of us remember your lecture on why it's so important to tip, especially with a drink package.

So what gives Scott?

Of course I tipped! :angry: Put that coffee back in your mouth, sir!  ;)  First, there was an 18% gratuity added to the bill. Second, I almost always leave cash. The bartenders like it better. Third, that receipt was from BEFORE I purchased the drink package. Once I did buy the package, I would put out our two room cards and some cash IMMEDIATELY, so they'd know they were about to get money on top of the included gratuity.

Nothing gives bub! Don't you have a bar you're supposed to be at! :P

The whole idea of tipping is completely out of control. Just look at the definition of tipping (Gratuity)

gratuity Noun (plural gratuities)

1) A reward, service, or payment provided freely, without obligation.

2) (common usage) An additional charge placed for services rendered; see also: service fee. 

These fees are really not tips they are service fees, not based upon reward or the service provided, not even given to the person providing the service. If you walk up to a bar and ask for a Coke is the person serving it doing anything more than their basic job? I have over tipped  people when the service level provided calls for it but most cruise tipping is just a service surcharge.

Companies need to pay their employees for the work they provide and stop trying to push this myth that they are gratuities. I hate when they try to add service charges and tell me who I must tip and at what rate. This needs to go back to its core without obligation. RCI and the other cruise lines need to really look at how they do business.

According to the very definition you quoted, sir, a gratuity is "an additional charge placed for services rendered." Your opinion of Royal's business practices may be valid, but do not take your grudge out on the server/bartender. Protesting by not tipping does not hurt Royal - it hurts the crew member. Moreover, the practice of tipping ensures the highest quality of service. If there were no tips, the servers/bartenders would do just enough to not get fired. It is a capitalistic model that rewards productivity and punishes the lack thereof. All I am hearing from your argument is a justification to withhold from someone something that they rightfully earned. If you want to withhold, withhold from cruising until Royal changes their policy. Or, if it is a matter of not being able to afford the gratuity, then perhaps affording a cruise is beyond your means as well. Call tipping by whatever name you wish, but do not call it unjustified. These people work hard (for the most part) and earn the money. What is out of control is the belief that one deserves anything. Everything in life is earned - including the service you receive on a Royal Caribbean ship. If there is no fair value exchange, then you are simply robbing the server of his/her service, and that is morally corrupt.

"According to the very definition you quoted, sir, a gratuity is "an additional charge placed for services rendered." Your opinion of Royal's business practices may be valid, but do not take your grudge out on the server/bartender. Protesting by not tipping does not hurt Royal - it hurts the crew member. Moreover, the practice of tipping ensures the highest quality of service. If there were no tips, the servers/bartenders would do just enough to not get fired. It is a capitalistic model that rewards productivity and punishes the lack thereof. All I am hearing from your argument is a justification to withhold from someone something that they rightfully earned. If you want to withhold, withhold from cruising until Royal changes their policy. Or, if it is a matter of not being able to afford the gratuity, then perhaps affording a cruise is beyond your means as well. Call tipping by whatever name you wish, but do not call it unjustified. These people work hard (for the most part) and earn the money. What is out of control is the belief that one deserves anything. Everything in life is earned - including the service you receive on a Royal Caribbean ship. If there is no fair value exchange, then you are simply robbing the server of his/her service, and that is morally corrupt."

Sorry not my problem if RCI does not want to pay their workers a fair wage that is on them not on me. A tip needs to be earned, a tip is not earned just for doing your job. You are entitled to your opinion on this subject and I am entitled to my opinion. With the service charge way of tipping it allows my tip money to go to people who should be paid by the company not me. As I already said, I tip out key people who have provided services to me, in cash, in hand. By directly tipping to that person I know that 100% of the amount goes to them which was my goal in tipping.

But if people really cared so much about the workers then no one would agree to the current policy and the company would be required to pay a fair wage in full. Not get me the client to pay extra and claim it is a tip when it is a service fee. Tipping is very much based upon what part of the world you are in. In some places it is not even allowed in many cases. Case in point RCI has cruises from Singapore. In most places taxis are tipped, in Singapore if you take a taxi to or from the airport they are not allowed to accept tips. The Government has made the choice that in the best interest of the Country that the fare should be enough compensation for the driver.

So your free to keep paying the suggested gratuity every day and I'm free to do what I want. I get them removed through the rules and tip in cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi travelers, with my time dining on the Voyager of the Seas being on the ultimate drinks package.

Can I still order drinks being on that drinks package in the dining room.

Have a great day.

Your package is good at all Dinning and Bar Areas on the ship. The only thing it does not cover is your mini bar within the cabin. 

Hi travelers, with my time dining on the Voyager of the Seas being on the ultimate drinks package.

Can I still order drinks being on that drinks package in the dining room.

Have a great day.

Anywhere on the ship except the minibar as previously noted.

Last year on the Oasis I purchased the Ultimate pkg. One of the things that I liked about it was that it included smoothies at the juice bar in the fitness center. This did not include add-ins like protein, vitamins or wheat grass but I generally don't get those anyway. It included smoothies made from fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables in any combination. Looking at what the Ultimate package includes on the Anthem (this year we are on the April 8 Eastern Caribbean cruise) it only mentions fresh squeezed OJ (which I also like). Does anyone know if there is a smoothie bar on the Anthem and can we use an Ultimate pkg to get drinks there?  

My husband just wants beer for alcohol , so I got him the select. Does that include any brand beer? And I am getting the premium package. Do either of those drink packages cover the drink of the day special?

You know Matt does a great job pulling together all the information here on this blog. I do not believe most readers even know or understand the number of hours that go into providing great information. Most of the questions asked unless breaking news things, have all been addressed before. Just search the site and you will be amazed at the information you can find.

Here is a link to a Blog Post Matt did last year with complete Select Drink Package Information. 

And another link to All Drink Package Information

If you review these two links I believe you will know everything you want about Drink Packages and if not someone here should know the 1/10 of 1% not within those links. Since some are older posting the prices may not be current.

You know Matt does a great job pulling together all the information here on this blog. I do not believe most readers even know or understand the number of hours that go into providing great information. Most of the questions asked unless breaking news things, have all been addressed before. Just search the site and you will be amazed at the information you can find.

Here is a link to a Blog Post Matt did last year with complete Select Drink Package Information. 

And another link to All Drink Package Information

If you review these two links I believe you will know everything you want about Drink Packages and if not someone here should know the 1/10 of 1% not within those links. Since some are older posting the prices may not be current.

Thanks Todd....I spent a lot of hours searching the site but did not put faith in 2015 postings because I've heard there was a price increase on the beverage line and also, some folks say the prices are no longer on some menus. So it makes me want to have inside more up to date info so I won't be tricked into running a bill I never meant to run.

Thanks Todd....I spent a lot of hours searching the site but did not put faith in 2015 postings because I've heard there was a price increase on the beverage line and also, some folks say the prices are no longer on some menus. So it makes me want to have inside more up to date info so I won't be tricked into running a bill I never meant to run.

I try my best to keep the data up to date

I try my best to keep the data up to date

Good to know! I love having all the information to read, especially when you're looking forward to the cruise and reading about everything! It helps me cope with the excitement. Forgive me for not trusting the system. I'm going to be a first time cruiser and am a bit nervous about racking up a bill I thought I had covered with the drink packages we bought. Please forgive me if I offended you. Just my fear of the big RC billing system rolling over me. With that said, I'm still over the top excited about the experience an so much looking forward to it. Thanks for your help! I truly do appreciate it and didn't realize how much research is required before you should ask a question.

Good to know! I love having all the information to read, especially when you're looking forward to the cruise and reading about everything! It helps me cope with the excitement. Forgive me for not trusting the system. I'm going to be a first time cruiser and am a bit nervous about racking up a bill I thought I had covered with the drink packages we bought. Please forgive me if I offended you. Just my fear of the big RC billing system rolling over me. With that said, I'm still over the top excited about the experience an so much looking forward to it. Thanks for your help! I truly do appreciate it and didn't realize how much research is required before you should ask a question.

For what it's worth, my onboard bill at then end of a cruise is usually only $100-$200 and most of that is specialty dining as we do a couple of restaurants and late night child care. If you have the drink package and prepurchased your excursions or book them privately, the odds of a massive bill at the end of the cruise are very low.

For what it's worth, my onboard bill at then end of a cruise is usually only $100-$200 and most of that is specialty dining as we do a couple of restaurants and late night child care. If you have the drink package and prepurchased your excursions or book them privately, the odds of a massive bill at the end of the cruise are very low.

Awesome! Yes I prepaid everything but one more dining option we are thinking about. So unless I go crazy on my shopping I should take a deep breath and enjoy the trip more than anticipate problems. :-)

Awesome! Yes I prepaid everything but one more dining option we are thinking about. So unless I go crazy on my shopping I should take a deep breath and enjoy the trip more than anticipate problems. :-)

Last year, we cruised Freedom to the eastern Caribbean, and it was our first cruise.  

I had all of the questions you have, and was worried sick that I didn't have all my t's crossed.  Everything turned out just fine.  I was over-thinking everything.

Of course, my wife went crazy with buying all kinds of souvenirs and I got some liquor, so our end-of-cruise bill was kinda high.  But I was pretty much expecting it.

You are going to have so much fun!  We enjoyed it so much that we are doing the same exact cruise in 23 days!  

Last year, we cruised Freedom to the eastern Caribbean, and it was our first cruise.  

I had all of the questions you have, and was worried sick that I didn't have all my t's crossed.  Everything turned out just fine.  I was over-thinking everything.

Of course, my wife went crazy with buying all kinds of souvenirs and I got some liquor, so our end-of-cruise bill was kinda high.  But I was pretty much expecting it.

You are going to have so much fun!  We enjoyed it so much that we are doing the same exact cruise in 23 days!  

Thanks!! All my cruising friends say we are going to LOVE it. So I'm hyper excited! We cruise in 24 days on the Oasis for our 43rd anniversary!!! 

For what it's worth, my onboard bill at then end of a cruise is usually only $100-$200 and most of that is specialty dining as we do a couple of restaurants and late night child care.

You need better bad-influence type friends to cruise with you; you know the type - "one more drink Bill, just one more drink...".  I have those friends and the tab to prove it.

My experience is that after a few cruises the end bill gets smaller.  Our first one was $1,100 back in 1999 (honeymoon, and we did 2 excursions in some ports.  What the h*ll was I thinking?!?!?).  Lately it's $300-$400 or so, that's for 4 people (us + 2 kids) but I also now tend to book excursions before hand so they don't appear on the final bill.

My experience is that after a few cruises the end bill gets smaller. Our first one was $1,100 back in 1999 (honeymoon, and we did 2 excursions in some ports. What the h*ll was I thinking?!?!?). Lately it's $300-$400 or so, that's for 4 people (us + 2 kids) but I also now tend to book excursions before hand so they don't appear on the final bill.

Keep in mind that in 1999 you couldn't prepay for most of the stuff that you can now. If memory serves, you still had to wait until you boarded to book excursions.