Drink Package Question

Shelly

Hi I am new to the website and cruising.  My husband, sons and I went on a cruise about 10 years ago but that was through Make a Wish so everything was figured out for us.  So this is my first time trying to figure this all out.  My Husband, parents, and sister and her family are all going on the Oasis of the Seas in July.

Drink packages seem to be our biggest conversations.  My question is this,  If I get any kind of drink package does my husband also have to get one? Or vice versa?

I am really loving this site, I think I may be addicted  LOL

Thanks,

Shelly

Great!  That is what we were hoping for.  I must have read an old article somewhere.  

Thank you so much

First and foremost, welcome! We are glad to have you here!

When Royal Caribbean first launched the drink packages, all adults in a stateroom had to get a package, but that rule has since been removed many years ago now.

I am getting the package as well, considering what is included, bottled water etc.  I also spoke with a representative last night and they told me that any of the port bars accept the key card?  Is this correct?  I asked about Labadee due to it being a RC island, but was shocked when she said the port bars accepted it as well.

Somewhere on this Blog I saw a drink menu posted and most drinks were $12.00 each except for the Drink of the Day special which was $8.00 per drink.  Our cruising buddies just called RCCL and inquired on drink prices and were told they averaged $5.75 a drink.  PLEASE somebody who has cruised recently please tell us how much they REALLY are, if you don't buy a drink package.  ALSO, someone said the drink packages could be used in the ports...in this true?  We will be cruising Liberty of the Seas on 2/28/16.  Thanks

If you are asking whether your beverage package would be accepted at bars in port that are off the ship ....the answer is no. The only place off the ship where your beverage packages can be used is Coco Cay and Labadee because these are Royal Caribbean properties. Any other bar off the ship would charge you for a drink.

Probably a really stupid question.....

But if we are embarking on the 15th and disembarking on the 30th (docking at 0630 hrs) will our drink package be charged on 15 or 16 days??? Only asking because the last day is all about eating breaky and getting off the ship....

Probably a really stupid question.....

But if we are embarking on the 15th and disembarking on the 30th (docking at 0630 hrs) will our drink package be charged on 15 or 16 days??? Only asking because the last day is all about eating breaky and getting off the ship....

It's charged based on the number of nights, not days. Also, you don't have to buy it on the first day. It will be prorated if you opt to buy it later in the cruise.

Hey - it's my first post!

We sailed on Freedom last April and are going to repeat again this April.

Do any of the bars have better beer options?  The only decent selection I found was the Irish Pub, and the best I could get there was La Fin du Mond.  As a craft beer enthusiast, I would love to find some better options, such as something from Cigar City out of Orlando or Florida Brewing Co from right there in Port Canaveral.

Somewhere on this Blog I saw a drink menu posted and most drinks were $12.00 each except for the Drink of the Day special which was $8.00 per drink.  Our cruising buddies just called RCCL and inquired on drink prices and were told they averaged $5.75 a drink.  PLEASE somebody who has cruised recently please tell us how much they REALLY are, if you don't buy a drink package.  ALSO, someone said the drink packages could be used in the ports...in this true?  We will be cruising Liberty of the Seas on 2/28/16.  Thanks

Hi, I was on the Allure a few weeks ago and I can tell you that only the beer average around $ 5.75.

All other frozen  drinks (daiquiri, pina colada) and/or mix are more like $ 12.00 each. But I had the premium package so did not really worried about the price. 

Drinks defn do NOT average $5.75!

Beers would be around the $6 mark.....mixed drinks, cocktails and frozen special drinks would all be around $10-12 with tip.....give or take.

Drink package works on the ship and their private islands...not once off the ship in port anywhere. But of course on the ship while in port.

Hey - it's my first post!

We sailed on Freedom last April and are going to repeat again this April.

Do any of the bars have better beer options?  The only decent selection I found was the Irish Pub, and the best I could get there was La Fin du Mond.  As a craft beer enthusiast, I would love to find some better options, such as something from Cigar City out of Orlando or Florida Brewing Co from right there in Port Canaveral.

Welcome!

Quantum class ships have a really good craft beer selection at Michael's Genuine Pub, but that won't help you on your Freedom cruise in April.

The beer selection tends to be pretty much the same.  You are right the pub has a little more variety than some of the other bars, but if I were you and looking for best beer selection on Freedom of the Seas, it is pub or bust.

Drinks haven't been priced that low in years.  Each ship appears to have the ability to price differently, as some people have reported drinks as low as $10.  My recent experiences had me paying $12+tip=$14.16 for a single drink.  Beer was in the $6.50-$8 range.  Import beer may have been $5.50-$6, but I don't remember with 100% certainty.  

We drank on shore to save significant money.  Look for the smaller places near the ship - "Virgin's Haven" at the Havensight dock in St. Thomas had beer at $2, a neat Triple Milk Stout from Mackeson (a Trinidadian company) for $3 that was to die for if you are into milk stouts.  "Rum Therapy" in St. Lucia had frozen/mixed drinks for I think around $8, and they are made with the great locally made rums from the island.  

Wherever you go, try the local stuff.  You'll be helping out the local economy, and you never know - you may find a new favorite.  Myself, I'll be wandering back to Virgin's Haven for another one of those Mackeson's when I next visit there in November....

Drinks haven't been priced that low in years.  Each ship appears to have the ability to price differently, as some people have reported drinks as low as $10.  My recent experiences had me paying $12+tip=$14.16 for a single drink.  Beer was in the $6.50-$8 range.  Import beer may have been $5.50-$6, but I don't remember with 100% certainty.  

In my recent experience, most cocktails are regularly priced at $10-12, beers $5.50-6.50 and wine $8-12. 

Drink of the day usually knocks 25% off the price, bringing to about $8-9, depending on the drink.

Those are pre-gratuity prices based on what the menus list.

What I found interesting on one of my last cruises was that they were replacing the bar menus that had the $10 price listed with ones that had no prices listed.

Also, some bars featured drinks that were $10 while other bars had a different menu with drinks that they charged $12 for.

I really, really miss the old bar menus. They had much more variety, both in terms of the drinks themselves and their cost.

Also, some bars featured drinks that were $10 while other bars had a different menu with drinks that they charged $12 for.

I noticed this too.  I recall a bloody mary at one of the pool bars being more expensive than a bloody mary from a different bar onboard.  

Last couple of times out we have noticed that the menus are a) smaller and b) don't include prices.

I have had the same drink at the same bar priced differently never mind different bars on the same ship really never mind a different ship.

One of those minor annoyances ... not only do you not know the price you are going to pay for something until after you get it, you also get to pay the mandatory 18% gratuity on it :)

Just to confirm a few things the others have said...

1) The beer selection is below 2016 bar and/or restaurant standards. On any ship less than a Voyager class, good luck finding something that is not a mass-produced, low-quality beer (not knocking it entirely - almost everyone likes a cold, light beer on a hot day - a stout is indeed a poor option in 90 degrees with a strong sun beating down on you). On a Voyager class ship and above, however, you ought to be able to find something of higher quality, in many different brew styles. The British pubs will likely be your best bet, if not your only bet.

2) GET THE DRINK PACKAGE!!!! Look at my attached receipt. $25 for two drinks! Do not just look at an advertised price. Look at the final price after tax and gratuity, because the Premium Package is $57 after tax and gratuity. You WILL get there very quickly. And even if you get a little drink fatigue on one day, you'll make up for it on another.

post-2933-0-15516200-1455386559_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind that the tax is only charged while in port, so that's not a charge you'll see continuously.

I really like the Replenish packages as I can get value out of it with the bottled water and the specialty coffees. However, our next cruise is port intensive--12 ports over a 13 night cruise--so I won't be getting the package as we're going to be off the ship 10-12 hours per day. Thus, it's hard to get any value out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading a thread at Cruise Critic where a couple people noticed that their Premium Package pricing went up. Mine is still the $57.82, so I went ahead and bought the package so I could lock in that price.

One person reported being told by a phone representative that it was "spring break pricing".

Just to confirm a few things the others have said...

1) The beer selection is below 2016 bar and/or restaurant standards. On any ship less than a Voyager class, good luck finding something that is not a mass-produced, low-quality beer (not knocking it entirely - almost everyone likes a cold, light beer on a hot day - a stout is indeed a poor option in 90 degrees with a strong sun beating down on you). On a Voyager class ship and above, however, you ought to be able to find something of higher quality, in many different brew styles. The British pubs will likely be your best bet, if not your only bet.

2) GET THE DRINK PACKAGE!!!! Look at my attached receipt. $25 for two drinks! Do not just look at an advertised price. Look at the final price after tax and gratuity, because the Premium Package is $57 after tax and gratuity. You WILL get there very quickly. And even if you get a little drink fatigue on one day, you'll make up for it on another.

I almost spit my coffee out when I read that recipt, you didn't tip!!!

Most of us remember your lecture on why it's so important to tip, especially with a drink package.

So what gives Scott?

If we purchase 1 package for the 2 of us, are they really strict about "sharing"? I am thinking primarily about bottled water, not alcoholic drinks.

Do you mean to buy a bottled water package? If so, that you can share however you wish because it's not unlimited.

If you mean bottled water from an unlimited package, then that's frowned upon and is against their rules. I don't know how strict they are about it though.