ninebot mini Segway

Misterbo

Can I bring this? 

I love to cruise around on my “ninebot mini Segway” it fits easily in a suitcase. I’ve logged over 200 miles on it. Is use it to get around around a lot because long walks hurt my knees too much.  It’s not one of the dangerous hover boards. It truly is a Segway. 

Can I bring this on a ship? Mainly to cruise around the ports? 

B994AFC8-879E-4CB4-A029-8F550E3681CC.jpeg

1 hour ago, Misterbo said:

Can I bring this? 

I love to cruise around on my “ninebot mini Segway” it fits easily in a suitcase. I’ve logged over 200 miles on it. Is use it to get around around a lot because long walks hurt my knees too much.  It’s not one of the dangerous hover boards. It truly is a Segway. 

Can I bring this on a ship? Mainly to cruise around the ports? 

B994AFC8-879E-4CB4-A029-8F550E3681CC.jpeg

I’m not sure how the ports would feel about it as it is a motorized vehicle and not considered one that is for special needs. I’d also be very leery of using it outside of the port areas as there’s often not sidewalks  and you’d risk getting ran over. 

I am sure as with almost anything else this may be interpreted any way....but I see that hoverboards are not allowed, I know that this is in the same class and is therefore able to be classified as one.  One person may let it on and one person may not!  I am sure that @twangster, or @Matt will be able to provide a more definitive answer! 

Prohibited items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Illegal Drugs
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Although I also think your Mini Segway is very cool, I can't imagine any ship ever letting you use it on board.  If its in some sort of  carrying bag you might be able to take it with you ashore like people do with folding bikes that fit into carrying bags. Just my 2cents.

Just for clarification, this is NOT a hover-board. It is a Segway. But a MINI Segway. It’s electronic, how it’s used, history and safety do not compare. Is has a lot of the electronics that an electric wheel chair has. With the exception of its added gyro technology. I’m not wanting to ride it on the ship. But in the ports.. but like one comment said.. while one person will be perfectly fine with it, I find some rather stubborn know-it-all’s  that will not budge and say it’s not aloud. Oh well, maybe some day soon, this may be more understood and eventually appreciated.

Contact Royal's special needs team to see if they can accommodate you: Call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225,  or send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com

Anecdotally I used to work with the "special needs" team at a major amusement park a decade ago. We didn't allow Segway for years until one guest pushed us and we finally allowed it after he showed us how he could be safe in a crowded park. He was really cool but he was also the only person to ever ask to use one while I worked there. 

On 8/17/2019 at 4:23 PM, bhageerah said:

I am sure as with almost anything else this may be interpreted any way....but I see that hoverboards are not allowed, I know that this is in the same class and is therefore able to be classified as one.  One person may let it on and one person may not!  I am sure that @twangster, or @Matt will be able to provide a more definitive answer! 

Prohibited items:

• Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Illegal Drugs
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Well, there goes my waffle iron idea ?

On 8/17/2019 at 9:23 PM, bhageerah said:

Prohibited items:

• Hoverboards
  • Illegal Drugs
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors

WHAT!? I cant bring my Illegal Drugs on board? What kind of world do we live in?

As cool as it may be, my initial reaction is negative.

People should be tolerant of the handicapped that have to use walkers and wheel chairs.

At the same time, many areas of the ship can be crowded. Appliances such as wheelchairs only add to the congestion. Wheeled appliances can not use stairs and have to rely on elevators that are already often crowded. Adding additional motorized transportation to areas generally designed for pedestrians I would think would be more frustration for everyone.

@Ditchdoc  I agree. We all want to be tolerant of physically challenged people who  need adaptive equipment but I can see this opening up a can of worms-rollerblades, electric scooters, etc. If limited to ports, I say great but not in crowded ship venues. Last cruise, a gentleman using a rolling knee walker for a leg injury was gleefully rolling around and crashing into people in the Windjammer-sorta using it as a battering ram. Not cool!

18 hours ago, Misterbo said:

Just for clarification, this is NOT a hover-board. It is a Segway.

Then it technically isn't prohibited.  You can always try and see what happens.  If you are driving to the port and you get refused when going through security, then simply return it to your vehicle.

If you don't have access to a vehicle at the port to store it while you are on your cruise, then you run the risk of security refusing to allow you to bring it on the ship.  If you put it in your checked luggage and it gets flagged they will have you go down to retrieve your luggage on the ship and you can plead your case at that point to them on the ship.  If they confiscate it on the ship they will just hold onto it until you disembark at which point you can pick it up.  It will be sitting there with various irons, steamers, surge protectors and kitchen appliances that others packed in their luggage.

They most likely wouldn't allow you to ride it around the ship and in the port areas it's up to their port authority/security as to whether they will allow it within the port.  The other issue would be if you got it on the ship and took it off at a port and then getting back on the ship security wants to argue with you about it.  It just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

On the Oasis ships I've seen the captains cruise around on a Segway, but they have special privileges I'm sure ?

• Matt changed the title to ninebot mini Segway