Overtourism?!?

Pen

6 hours ago, Rob&Ana said:

I think with what we pay in port fees the local authorities can also do things to mitigate this problem. It's only going to get worse...

Yes, and there is a need for better community planning/infrastructure.  We also see this at home where local leaders are in bed with developers and allow them to expand exponentially without paying enough in impact fees for the required infrastructure.  So tourism growth without preparation has similar drawbacks to domestic population growth without proper preparation.  I really don't think any of us want to go where we are not wanted, and there are plenty of places to visit....

CLIA routinely meets with different cities and regions to represent the cruise industry as a whole.  

If you were an owner of a hotel you would lobby against the cruise industry.  If you were a bar or restaurant that enjoys business from cruise passengers you would be in favor or cruise ship visits.

There are two sides to every story.  Some benefit from cruise ships, some don't.  

Nothing unique to the cruise industry.  I visited Stonehenge when you could walk right up and touch them.  Tourists got out of control.  People wrote on them, stood on them.  Traffic became a nightmare.  Roads had to be expanded, a visitors center was built.  Such is tourism.