Kids eating Adult Menu??

levy1980

1 hour ago, levy1980 said:

My 9 year old is adventurous and will be bored of the kids menu which I see is basically the same every night. Can he order anything from the Adult menu?

He did on Disney Dream last year but not sure if RC is different?  

Kind of growing up on cruise ships, my son has been adventurous since the age of 9 (ordering adult food) and as a college student has now acquired a taste for fine sushi. One never knows how a cruise experience will shape a child's life!  Have a great cruise!

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, levy1980 said:

My 9 year old is adventurous and will be bored of the kids menu which I see is basically the same every night. Can he order anything from the Adult menu?

Good for him! When our kids were young they wouldn't even venture anywhere away from chicken nuggets and fries (or mac & cheese) when we would go out to eat.

A cruise is really the perfect place for ANYONE to try new foods since it doesn't incur any additional costs like it would at a restaurant.

I tell my kids the menus are, to steal a movie line, "more like guidelines than actual rules." ? If they want the normal kids menu stuff, that's fine. But I always encourage them to at least take a look at the adult menu and try something new. On our last cruise, the youngest discovered she didn't completely hate escargot and, by the fourth night, our waiter knew to bring her an adult order of spaghetti bolognese every night. 

My kids (b/g twins) starting cruising at around 3 years old and have now been on 10 cruises with Royal.  My daughter stayed with the kids menu longer than my son and occasionally will order something from it (as a teenager).  On the other hand, my son was so excited to try the adult menu and the variety of cuisine (around 7-9 yo) and loved it.  He would order multiple items every night and try many different things.  He always ate it and I could not believe how much he consumed. 

My son always indicates that was one of the best memories he had when he had that opportunity and loves cruising ever since.   

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, levy1980 said:

I am glad you posted this. All of our boys (ages 10, 8, 5) are adventurous eaters and would prefer the MDR menu over the kids menu as well. So glad they will be allowed to order off of the adult menu, especially if they see a charcuterie on the appetizer list and lobster bisque in the soups!!!

My 11 yo daughter has a lot of food aversions related to Autism. She generally sticks to the kids menu wherever we eat, but she discovered shrimp just before our last cruise and had a shrimp cocktail every night. She loves the coconut shrimp onboard too. She felt more adventurous onboard and tried lobster (ordered a second even), lobster bisque, and the chilled strawberry soup. 

• 1 month later...

Our last cruise, our MDR waiter regularly brought my son and his cousin (both 9) food off the adult menu just to encourage them to try something new/different. I loved that.

We also had heard that we could ask for adult food but kids portion size and tried that, but it didn't work. The waiter just said not to eat it all, which is not always easy to do.