Fly into Orlando Int. or Melbourne airport for cruise.....?

kittysoul

I had kind of settled on flying into Melbourne, but then I saw several youtube 'tips' videos, who said that it is better to fly to Orlando Int. than Melbourne,because of traffic.   We have established now, , that we are going to arrive 2 or 3 days early to enjoy the area (go to the Space Center again...a day at the beach, etc...) and (thanks to the great advice found here), we are going to rent a car at the airport to drop off later near the port.  So what do you guys advise  as far as 'which is the preferred airport to fly into'....?  

Melbourne is a sleepy little airport which can be great but sometimes that means rental cars options are more limited or priced higher.  It's also not that much closer, it's still a drive.  

One thing I didn't like, if a flight has delays or cancels there are very few flights into Melbourne while Orlando has many daily flight that your airline can move you to if one flight cancels.  

I did Melbourne once but now just use Orlando when cruising from PC.

If you are coming in that many days early, just go with whichever is lowest cost as far as airport to fly into.  Factor in the cost of the rental car from whichever airport you choose into the final price.  Car rentals from Orlando often are much, much cheaper.  I've never priced airfare using the Melbourne airport but Orlando is such a huge airport that there's more competition and should have low prices.

I don't see that traffic should make a difference between Melbourne and Orlando for airports.  It's roughly the same amount of driving time between them.  The other Orlando airport (Sanford) is just a little further than both but more possibility of traffic issues.

I do MCO because I'm use to that airport, I lived in Central Florida for 11 years, and my mom is in Davenport...just south of Disney. A lot of times we fly into Miami or FLL for a cruise (Typically the Monsters of Rock Cruise) after the cruise ...again....rent a car...lol, drive to O-Town and fly home out of Orlando/MCO.

38 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The other Orlando airport (Sanford) is just a little further than both but more possibility of traffic issues.

Sanford is a good 10 miles further and you may run into that issue Twangster mentioned about limited flights....it's also on the 417...another Toll Road.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

One thing I didn't like, if a flight has delays or cancels there are very few flights into Melbourne while Orlando has many daily flight that your airline can move you to if one flight cancels.  

Exactly.   I used to use Melbourne a lot and it is (or at least was) a nice little airport but there's not a lot of alternate flight options if something comes up.  Plus, can you fly direct into Melbourne from your location?   That's what caused me to stop using it as I would have had to transfer in Charlotte or Atlanta.   If you can fly direct to MCO and have alternate flight options, that's what I would do.

Melbourne is a little closer than MCO but it's not like FLL which is right across from the cruise port.  It's still 25-30 minutes away.    Plus, the bulk of the Orlando traffic is west of the airport towards the theme parks and I-4, the traffic between MCO and Cocoa Beach is not that bad (normally).  

If you're coming in a couple of days early, you can always do a theme park one day and/or Disney Springs or Universal CityWalk   and then head over to Canaveral for the beach day or KSC.   It would give you more options.

@mbk999 these are some interesting ideas to definitely think about!  I have been wanting to go back to Texas de Brazil really badly, ever since i was there a few years ago... I know that is just a restaurant...but THE best brazilian steakhouse I have ever been to! ?      I will spend the weekend, looking at all of the options in Orlando...  I don't know about everyone else here, but i am kind of addicted to the trip planning part... it is as fun to me as the trip itself! lol  Thank you everyone!!

35 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

@mbk999 these are some interesting ideas to definitely think about!  I have been wanting to go back to Texas de Brazil really badly, ever since i was there a few years ago... I know that is just a restaurant...but THE best brazilian steakhouse I have ever been to! ?      I will spend the weekend, looking at all of the options in Orlando...  I don't know about everyone else here, but i am kind of addicted to the trip planning part... it is as fun to me as the trip itself! lol  Thank you everyone!!

Trip planning is half the fun...   There's just too many options around Orlando to go wrong, even if you don't go to the parks.  We just got back from a week at the Mouse and Disney Springs has some fantastic restaurants.  Animal Kingdom Lodge has a couple of great restaurants and if you have reservation to eat there, you can park at the resort and wonder around it's own savanna observation areas.  None of it is cheap but we had really good times.     

I don't know what time of year you're planning on going but if it's in the winter, I can't imagine there'd be a lot to do for a couple of days in Cocoa, other than KSC.

Orlando is overwhelming because there is sooooo much to do.  There's even a lot you can see or do at Disney World without spending any additional money..you can PM me through my profile if you want to chat and get some ideas.  I'd be glad to help you. 

I'm also very familiar with the Cocoa area and there is actually a lot that you can do in that immediate area.  Bonus is you won't be as overwhelmed in the Cocoa/Cocoa Beach area because there just isn't as much to do.  But I can definitely give you suggestions of things to do and places to see and restaurants to try if you'd like.

2 minutes ago, Brobbins246 said:

I was so confused by the title...."fly into Melbourne or Orlando?"  The only Melbourne I've heard of is in Australia which isn't very close to Orlando.  Lol ?

There actually is an airport, Orlando Melbourne International. There are 2 airports in Orlando. (I didn't know this for a long time either).

@AshleyDillo thanks so much!  I just might do that, if i can figure out the PM system on here, lol.   We are going the beginning of May, 2020.   I still haven't decided yet regarding the Orlando vs Cocoa Beach (or Melbourne vs Orlando airport) but all of the advice and opinions definitely helps in remembering the important issues to consider for sure!  We are pretty low key... it will be me and my 23 yr old son.  I am all about the beach..... any beach, anywhere.... he is not as much of a beach freak, but loves the historical stuff and the NASA sort of thing.  Of course we both are foodies though and love cool food things.     I think right now, the toughest thing is that we really can't make a final decision on the flight part until waaay closer  (probably after the first of the year)... I do not like to do any travel plans that are 'no cancellations' and right now, all of the airfare that is a reasonable price for me (the 275 to 350 each RT range,are only offered as ' no cancellations'.    When I check the box for 'only flights that allow cancellations',  the price shoots up to like 900. per person!  I am guessing that is because it is so far out in the future.      

18 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

When I check the box for 'only flights that allow cancellations',  the price shoots up to like 900. per person!  I am guessing that is because it is so far out in the future.      

@kittysoul, I would think any refundable airfare will be a LOT more money than non-refundable. Hopefully you will get trip insurance anyway, so maybe it's worth checking the cost of the "cancel for any reason" clause and then booking the nonrefundable air. 

I live near Melbourne. We are south of the port. Traffic wouldn’t really be issue but drive time is probably about the same as Orlando (MCO). Melbourne you drive though town with traffic lights Orlando is straight shot on highway. 

Pro’s- to using Melbourne very small airport so you are in and out fast! Usually what ever flight you’re on is only one at that time. So no long security lines. 

Con’s- No direct flights and Melbourne is usually more expensive. 

When I travel I like using Melbourne because I live here. If I didn’t and was going on a cruise use Orlando.