We leave on the Liberty of the Seas on 2/28 from Galveston, TX.  We had planned on some excursions into the jungles and the Mayan Ruins but with the Zika Virus being prevalent there...we have cancelled the plans for these excursions.  I wonder if RCCL is advising cruisers of this danger and if they are doing anything to protect the passengers?  I think the cruise and ship itself are safe but excursions may not be.

While I don't know if Royal will advise passengers or not, it's important to keep in mind that the virus is only of particular concern to special populations. From what I've read, those in good health and not pregnant or not likely to become pregnant or at less risk. In addition, using bug repellent is a good defense.

We just did this itinerary on the Liberty and went into the rain forests of Belize on a river tubing excursion and did not experience any mosquitos and I'm a magnet for them and forgot to bring repellant.

I know you didn't ask me, cdixon22, but I can answer one of those.  The water was VERY cold on the tubing excursion in Belize.  The water in that river comes straight out of the mountains.  My poor daughter's lips were absolutely deep purple by the time we got out of that river.

I don't remember any place to change...but there must have been somewhere to store your things.  I just don't remember.

While I can't speak for every cruise line or travel agency, I was forwarded by my agent, information the CDC provided on the Zika virus.  Many cruise lines and other operators have also been allowing affected persons to re-book trips for future dates without penalty.

Eighty percent of persons infected have no symptoms.  Those who do find that the symptoms of the virus and similar to a common cold and aren't severe.  The risk is due to the possible link between pregnant women infected with the virus and microcephaly, where no significant risk is known to exist for healthy persons who are not pregnant or trying to become pregnant. 

Symptoms: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/symptoms/index.html

Good article on the matter: http://vitals.lifehacker.com/your-non-alarmist-guide-to-the-zika-virus-1756627224

As always, I don't provide medical advice and you should talk to your doctor about personal risks, avoidance, and mitigation.

I know you didn't ask me, cdixon22, but I can answer one of those.  The water was VERY cold on the tubing excursion in Belize.  The water in that river comes straight out of the mountains.  My poor daughter's lips were absolutely deep purple by the time we got out of that river.

I don't remember any place to change...but there must have been somewhere to store your things.  I just don't remember.

Where you move from the bus to the smaller shuttles, they had lockers, bathrooms, and changing rooms.

We must have been lucky as the water wasn't  too cold when we did the excursion in January.  It was cold enough that I wouldn't want to swim in it, but none of us were cold afterwards.

Noticed tonight that Oyal had information posted on their website regarding the virus. You need to scroll down a little bit. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=royal_caribbean_security_guide

Thanks DocLC. I like that as of today, this link indicates that RCCL will allow pregnant women to change their plans without penalty if they are concerned about the Zika Virys. That's a good policy on Royal's part.