Profile photo - 50K B max - help!

raahc

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums ?

I didn't find a tip in the search bar for this topic.  I have a photo on my desktop computer, emailed it to myself, opened on my phone, downloaded an image resizer app, and the smallest I can get it to is 93 KB.  The error msg says the photo should be 50 KB? 

TIA (thanks in advance)

@raahc

20190730_164529-1032x774-258x194.jpg.62ff280ef2cfbd198c4f1d2ed9b19d75.jpg

There are members of this blog that can be (maybe are) professional photographers, but here is my 2 cents worth. I use a resizer app called Photo and Picture Resizer. The welcome picture above started as 4M. I then resized to the smallest choice which was 25% (although there is an option to put in your own size, pixels, etc). That brought it to 2M. I saved it and did it one more time which brought it to 49kb. 

That actually came out to 258 x 194. So try just resizing your original to those numbers.

I probably made this way more complicated than need be. I'm sure someone else will chime in and provide some better help.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Tagging @JLMoran and @twangster

Hi there @raahc, welcome!

I also had a lot of trouble getting my image to the required 50KB size. I have a regular image editor on my computer (Pixelmator) that I used for tinkering with the size, and found that I had to get the image to 149 x 149 before it was under the limit with max JPEG quality. If your app allows you to tinker with the JPEG quality slider at all, you can try using a lower quality setting; otherwise try cropping the image to a square format before scaling it down.

If one round of resizing doesn't do the trick even after cropping the original photo and tinkering with the quality setting, then what @Skid suggested is where I'd go next -- shrink it as much as the app allows, save it as a new file on your phone, then open that file and continue shrinking until you get it to a size that falls below the threshold. 

11 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

If one round of resizing doesn't do the trick even after cropping the original photo and tinkering with the quality setting, then what @Skid suggested is where I'd go next -- shrink it as much as the app allows, save it as a new file on your phone, then open that file and continue shrinking until you get it to a size that falls below the threshold. 

After reading what you and @Skid did, I think that's what I did too.  But I used an app on my phone called "Image Size".

2 hours ago, Skid said:

@raahc

There are members of this blog that can be (maybe are) professional photographers, but here is my 2 cents worth. I use a resizer app called Photo and Picture Resizer. The welcome picture above started as 4M. I then resized to the smallest choice which was 25% (although there is an option to put in your own size, pixels, etc). That brought it to 2M. I saved it and did it one more time which brought it to 49kb. 

That actually came out to 258 x 194. So try just resizing your original to those numbers.

I probably made this way more complicated than need be. I'm sure someone else will chime in and provide some better help.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Tagging @JLMoran and @twangster

Thank you for the warm welcome!  I find this forum very refreshing and quite different from others!  Everyone is so friendly and respectful - awesome!

I dl an app called photo resizer (I think in Canada, it might have a different name), tried it several times.  It does ruin the image quality, but our little profile photo is the size of a dime, so it looks okay.   Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Hi there @raahc, welcome!

I also had a lot of trouble getting my image to the required 50KB size. I have a regular image editor on my computer (Pixelmator) that I used for tinkering with the size, and found that I had to get the image to 149 x 149 before it was under the limit with max JPEG quality. If your app allows you to tinker with the JPEG quality slider at all, you can try using a lower quality setting; otherwise try cropping the image to a square format before scaling it down.

I had to do it several times to get it down to 112 KB.  Strange that it was accepted ...lol

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

After reading what you and @Skid did, I think that's what I did too.  But I used an app on my phone called "Image Size".

I tried with that app too, thank you!

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

This site is also pretty good at compression: https://imagecompressor.com/

I liked that website, it kept the image quality and was very easy to use.  It stopped compressing at 177 KB and wouldn't resize anymore, but I bookmarked it for future use.  Thank you!