Escape Room on Harmony

Remy323

Does anyone have an inkling why the minimum age for the escape room is 12?  This seems inordinately high for what is presumably a family activity.  Also it seems very ironic because Adventure Ocean is located right next to the escape room.  Our 9-year old grandson loves doing escape rooms with us all the time and I know he would love this one.  It's really disappointing that he can't do this one with us.  Are there any exceptions?

Just now, Remy323 said:

Does anyone have an inkling why the minimum age for the escape room is 12?  This seems inordinately high for what is presumably a family activity.  Also it seems very ironic because Adventure Ocean is located right next to the escape room.  Our 9-year old grandson loves doing escape rooms with us all the time and I know he would love this one.  It's really disappointing that he can't do this one with us.  Are there any exceptions?

I can't comment on the age, but having done the Harmony Escape Room in May, I can't say I would ever do it again.   it is fast-paced, and the group is usually subdivided into smaller teams.  You only experience what your little team is doing, and you miss the big picture.  There isn't much logic to how different puzzles interconnect.  The best part of the experience is the team problems solving, but usually one or two people who have experience start running off on their own collecting stuff without explaining why they are doing it.   Overall, the experience was "ok" but a movie would have been more fun.....

Since you state your son really likes escape rooms,  I would contact Royal and get permission, but I'm not sure if Cruise Planner will allow a reservation online given the ages of each traveler being on file.  You might need to check on the ship.   Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise!

3 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

I can't comment on the age, but having done the Harmony Escape Room in May, I can't say I would ever do it again.   it is fast-paced, and the group is usually subdivided into smaller teams.  You only experience what your little team is doing, and you miss the big picture.  There isn't much logic to how different puzzles interconnect.  The best part of the experience is the team problems solving, but usually one or two people who have experience start running off on their own collecting stuff without explaining why they are doing it.   Overall, the experience was "ok" but a movie would have been more fun.....

Since you state your son really likes escape rooms,  I would contact Royal and get permission, but I'm not sure if Cruise Planner will allow a reservation online given the ages of each traveler being on file.  You might need to check on the ship.   Whatever you decide to do, have a great cruise!

Interesting. Looks like they're going for the team building approach rather than family fun.  Makes sense in that respect, I suppose. Still...how old was Will Robinson?? ?

The age is set higher because while it is a family activity, the puzzles are quite complex, especially if a child is younger.  The escape room is set up in that you are combined with other passengers because there is a minimum amount of people require to complete the puzzle.  You cannot just put your own family in there, the minimum is at least 6 people (max 12 people I think) and I would think that Royal would max out the number each time to allow more guests opportunities to participate.  

In addition, solving the puzzle is an entire group effort and I am not trying to be rude or offend, as I also have children of my own under 12, but imagine if you were a guest who paid $19.99 (or whatever the cost is) and your experience was diminished by younger children who cannot contribute to the extent that someone older could?  That's not saying that younger children cannot solve complex puzzles but in all honesty, there are some limitations there that other guests who are in the session with you may not appreciate.  Even as an adult who has done the escape room on Harmony, it is not a walk in the park.

From what I know, Royal takes age restrictions for all their activities quite seriously.  The only exception is if you were Star Class.  In that case, the Genie arranges a private session for you and your children can participate.

I did the Escape Room on Harmony in May with my group.  There were 9 of us, and one of the kids in my group was 11.  I was successful in purchasing the Escape Room in the cruiser planner with no problems.  When we actually arrived and signed in for the activity, the kids' ages were NOT verified or even questioned (granted, the kids all looked like teenagers, anyway).

My best guess (as others have alluded to) is that you definitely don't want younger kids that don't contribute to solving the problems.  It certainly took everyone looking for clues to solve the various puzzles.  They are just trying to keep the age up so you don't have toddlers in way, and not able to contribute and help.

Regarding the minimum of 6 people, for this Harmony Escape room, there is one "operation" that needs to be completed simultaneously by 6 different people in 6 different locations in order to open up the next puzzle (trying to not give away too much here!).

In reality, there were several slots open every day for the Escape Room to book (once it opened up about 30 days ahead of sailing), and they ALL filled up before we even boarded.  I asked someone at guest services about this, and they said it was already booked up, and even the following sailing (the next week) was also already fully booked...