Teens in fitness center

SueG23

Question - We embark in 2 days on the Adventure!  YAY!

I have a 15 year old son who would like to use the fitness center.   I know the rules are you need to be 16.  I'm not looking to break any rules and sneak him in.  But I thought I saw somewhere there is teen time for 13-15 year olds.  Can anyone confirm this and do you happen to know when?  Is it special times or all the time, with the supervision of a parent?  Many thanks!

There are no specific teen hours however my teens at that age have always used the gym with their dad. They needed to keep working out due to their sports and a week off could be a setback for them.  My teens are comfortable with a gym and as long as your son doesn't goof around no one would bother him.  

3 hours ago, FManke said:

..... I think like this and other things with kids, even if the rules say one thing, as long as they are behaving themselves and acting appropriately, nobody will have a problem with him.

no truer statement needs be made, at a certain point its all about behavior.

I have run into some 20 year olds that should be asked to leave the Gym.

Good luck to him with his workouts, enjoy your cruise

This is one of my pet soap box subjects. As a regular gym user, I am pretty sure the ages mentioned are correct but I can't remember where I saw them. I can say that I  would have absolutely no objections whatsoever to a youngster using the gym appropriately in the company of a responsible adult.

What really gets my hackles up is seeing stupid, irresponsible adults "having a go" on the equipment just because it's there and is included in their cruise fare. And then such stupidity being compounded by the total absence of a responsible instructor in the gym to prevent them from doing so, and made even worse by the total lack of safety instructions posted anywhere in sight to perhaps make said stupid irresponsible adults think twice about what they are about to do.

I have personally witnessed a woman in a long, floaty dress and sandals on a treadmill in the gym on Oasis. And I have seen a man wearing flip-flops on a treadmill on MSC's Poesia. In the first case there was not one single member of RCI staff to be seen anywhere in the gym. In the second case, the offending flip-flop wearer had not been on the treadmill for more than 20 seconds before the on-duty instructor had given him a thorough telling-off and ejected him from the gym.

On MSC, you have to sign a waiver to use the gym. On Royal that has never been the case for as long as I've been cruising, not even in the good old days when they did always have an instructor on duty in the gym.

Rant over. Apologies.

Having got that off my chest, I can tell you that the gyms on board are great, far superior to those you will find in many land-based hotels and resorts, with plenty of space and decent equipment. I have always found that a good time to go is late afternoon (after 4 pm) as they are always quiet at that time, although this does work better if you're ok with having a later dinner.