Man Overboard: Symphony

News reports out of Miami are reporting an Australian man "fell" overboard early this morning from Symphony of The Seas. The ship was reported to have been enroute to St. Thomas when the appx. 0300 incident occurred. There are claims that a body was observed being brought on board from a dispatched lifeboat. I'm sure more info will be forthcoming. ☹️

Does any of the Royal ships have the auto warning system when someone goes overboard like Disney ships have?

Just found my answer -

Cruise Law News reported that Royal Caribbean is one of the cruise lines that has not installed automatic man overboard systems, which use motion detectors and send an instant message to the bridge should someone go over the rails.

The website described how, under this system, radar and infrared technology would then track the person in the water, even at night, "increasing the prospects of a successful search and rescue."

1 hour ago, cdixon22 said:

Does any of the Royal ships have the auto warning system when someone goes overboard like Disney ships have?

Just found my answer -

Cruise Law News reported that Royal Caribbean is one of the cruise lines that has not installed automatic man overboard systems, which use motion detectors and send an instant message to the bridge should someone go over the rails.

The website described how, under this system, radar and infrared technology would then track the person in the water, even at night, "increasing the prospects of a successful search and rescue."

Well, that is surprising and damning simultaneously.

1 hour ago, cdixon22 said:

Just found my answer -

You only posted half of the report from the link i attached, the part where it states RC is one of a number of cruiselines which dont have this system in place yet.

The part you omitted for reasons unknown clearly states the reasoning behind RC decision not to have this system in place until it actually works. 

1 hour ago, Ray said:

The part you omitted for reasons unknown clearly states the reasoning behind RC decision not to have this system in place until it actually works.

Further, if follow the link to the original Quartz article, you see that even the quote given is partial and taken out of context. A key takeaway I got from reading the Quartz article is that even the best of these systems has a false positive rate of two per week (104 times per year), and that this same system has not yet had any actual MOB events on the ONE ship where it's installed!

That's right -- even the best of these systems has a false positive rate that massively exceeds the number of times it has picked up a real man overboard event that could / did save the person's life. And I'm sorry, but no business is going to install something that poor on their ships when it means they'll be spending tremendous amounts of time dealing with "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

There are only one or two real MOB events per month average, as stated by the original article and the one in Quartz. That's across every ship from every cruise line and shipping service. Given the number of lines and ships, you're talking less than 1 event on a given ship per year on average. And you expect companies to install a system that have a false positive rate that's at best 104x worse than the real event happening? Please.

Whenever a man overboard occurs cruise law Jim always jumps on the story but immediately touts the MOB systems, the MARSS version in particular. Almost as if he is promoting it. A suspicious person could speculate that he holds stock in FLIR Systems Inc. and would stand to profit from a large sale. But, of course, a lawyer would never do such a thing. So let's not think that way.?

Let's say the fall detection system is installed and it did not save the person who went overboard.  Would the cruise line be liable even if the person jumped or was doing something they were not supposed to?  The cameras that are onboard the ships are there to protect the interests of the cruise line and prove the cruise lines were not at fault. 

2 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Edited - not worth it, but please show compassion to the individuals affected rather than judgement.

If you go to top and read from start you will see i simply posted the latest news report, i made no comment or judgement. 

My later posts related to the fact that even though the facts where in front of them important parts were omitted by others thus basically saying RC dont care about peoples safety. 

So whats going to happen? A lawsuit against RC because they let people climb on fence or let people with mental issues board without having psychiatric tests done to ensure they dont jump overboard? Because thats the crazy world we live in! Its always someone elses fault! 

Now in your own words to me and others on various threads " if your not happy dont read " 

3 hours ago, Ray said:

Same applies to me with the vacuum cleaner, i switch it on and move it about but god knows if it actually works properly ? i just get told its not done right ?

I don't know it work or not work and have no intention that other cruise line should use the system or not use it. I only pass the information that I know Disney Cruise use it.