Snorkeling St. Thomas - Magens Bay or Sapphire Beach

lmflowers3

13 hours ago, lmflowers3 said:

Heading to St. Thomas

Hi Sunny,

Welcome to the message boards. Feel free to ask away with any questions you may have. We have been to S. Thomas many times and we really like the excursion that  Royal offers called "The Secret Sands Beach Exclusive and Skyline Drive". Really nice beach, not crowded and clean. The beach is in a state park and has a clean bath house with restrooms. The open air bus will take you right to the beach and drops you off. You will be greeted by a young entrepreneur whose name is Kareem. He will have loungers all set up on the beach some in the shade and some in full sun. He also has snorkeling gear, sodas, beer, rum punch and many snacks which is free. All he asks is for a tip when you leave. He is also very good at taking photos with your camera/smart phone, he knows them all!   We have done this excursion three times. Last year we had our grand kids with us (8 and 12) and I taught them how to snorkel.  About 50' from the shore line there is a nice sea grass covered and coral covered reef that's 8' deep. I took the grands out to the reef and we saw a couple of green sea turtles munching away o the sea grass and a multitude of tropical fish. On the swim back to the beach the water dropped down to maybe 20' and we had a large Southern Sting Ray swim under us (he was down on the sandy bottom). Needless to say we had a great swim/snorkel experience and, of course, they keep asking to go back! Hope this helps and enjoy your trip! :27_sunglasses:

19 hours ago, rjac said:

Hi Sunny,

Welcome to the message boards. Feel free to ask away with any questions you may have. We have been to S. Thomas many times and we really like the excursion that  Royal offers called "The Secret Sands Beach Exclusive and Skyline Drive". Really nice beach, not crowded and clean. The beach is in a state park and has a clean bath house with restrooms. The open air bus will take you right to the beach and drops you off. You will be greeted by a young entrepreneur whose name is Kareem. He will have loungers all set up on the beach some in the shade and some in full sun. He also has snorkeling gear, sodas, beer, rum punch and many snacks which is free. All he asks is for a tip when you leave. He is also very good at taking photos with your camera/smart phone, he knows them all!   We have done this excursion three times. Last year we had our grand kids with us (8 and 12) and I taught them how to snorkel.  About 50' from the shore line there is a nice sea grass covered and coral covered reef that's 8' deep. I took the grands out to the reef and we saw a couple of green sea turtles munching away o the sea grass and a multitude of tropical fish. On the swim back to the beach the water dropped down to maybe 20' and we had a large Southern Sting Ray swim under us (he was down on the sandy bottom). Needless to say we had a great swim/snorkel experience and, of course, they keep asking to go back! Hope this helps and enjoy your trip! :27_sunglasses:

I was actually thinking about this excursion also.. thanks for the info.