Clueless

I was discussing my upcoming cruise with a coworker today. She informed me that she was going on a RCCL cruise next May. Being curious I asked her if she got the $18 dollar drink deal. This is what blew me away. She told me their travel agent told them they can’t book anything until onboard ship. I told her about cruise planner and how to sign in.

1 minute ago, 1978bucketlist said:

I was discussing my upcoming cruise with a coworker today. She informed me that she was going on a RCCL cruise next May. Being curious I asked her if she got the $18 dollar drink deal. This is what blew me away. She told me their travel agent told them they can’t book anything until onboard ship. I told her about cruise planner and how to sign in.

Whoa. She needs a new travel agent. My guess is they charged her a fee to book it as well ?  (My travel agent emailed me and told me to log on and get the $18/day price when it was available! - I had already gotten it, but dang -she's my girl 4 life now!)

Although I think having a good travel agent is important I don't think anyone should rely only on there agent for information....there is no excuse today with all the information online and boards like this one to be misinformed.

We have been sailing for 20 years and currently sail 10-12 times a year with Royal and I am quite inquisitive but would never believe I know everything about cruising with Royal. In fact I know some very good travel professionals that have only cruised 2-3 times....there is so much info to know and so may companies that it's imposable for an agent to be up to speed on everything.

I am not surprised about that actually.

My first cruise is coming up with some of my family who are also first time cruisers. Our TA didn't say we had to wait to purchase anything, but nor did she say anything about the cruise planner portal at all. I found that all on my own, and only because I am an obsessive over planner and was trawling for any information available.

Then again, it was actually my mum that booked the whole thing and I wasn't there. So it's entirely possible that she mentioned it and my mum had no idea what she was talking about......

6 hours ago, Rob&Ana said:

Although I think having a good travel agent is important I don't think anyone should rely only on there agent for information....there is no excuse today with all the information online and boards like this one to be misinformed.

We have been sailing for 20 years and currently sail 10-12 times a year with Royal and I am quite inquisitive but would never believe I know everything about cruising with Royal. In fact I know some very good travel professionals that have only cruised 2-3 times....there is so much info to know and so may companies that it's imposable for an agent to be up to speed on everything.

10-12 times a year ? seriously jealous.

Tons of people book cruises and don't realize they can pre-purchase or reserve anything before getting on the ship.  That's why they hold back a lot of reservation times for shows and such. Imagine how upset you would be at the cruise line if you didn't have a clue you could reserve your dining times or show times before you got on board and then you were told they were completely booked up!  Being proactive and involved in your travel arrangements is always beneficial but so many people have no clue what options even exist!

22 hours ago, 1978bucketlist said:

If their customer finds out that they can go to RCCL for things....they might not come back to the TA.....just saying....it might not be a clueless TA....

12 hours ago, mcoler18 said:

10-12 times a year ? seriously jealous.

We retired a few years back and stepped up our cruising. For us its the best way to travel....and sailing with Royal is great because there is always someone we know onboard, it's like a big family that you look forward to seeing a couple of times a year.

11 hours ago, kuruczpa said:

Damn that's unfortunate. I posted on this forum to let all of you know the DBP was $18 (tried to help as many people as possible).

Thanks so much for trying to help us all. I just couldn't have it as my husband doesn't drink nor wanted the soda package.  I usually only have 1-2 all week anyway. ?

13 hours ago, Rob&Ana said:

We retired a few years back and stepped up our cruising. For us its the best way to travel....and sailing with Royal is great because there is always someone we know onboard, it's like a big family that you look forward to seeing a couple of times a year.

Thats great,