Traveling with child

For the first time next week my daughter and I are taking a cruise solo. Busy time in the government accounting world starting so my wife can’t come with us. Anybody like @mom2mybugs for example have trouble with the agents giving you any problems for taking the kid out of the country without both parents?

Not cruising, but I’ve taken my kids to Mexico multiple times without my husband. The first couple of times I took a notarized letter stating that I had his permission to take our kids out of the country. I was never questioned and eventually stopped taking any additional documentation, especially since one of the requirements for a minor’s passport is that *both* parents be present when submitting application  

Hi @Andrew72681.  I have taken my minor kids a few times without my husband. I have never been asked for the form, but I would totally not travel without it.   You should fill out a permission to leave the country form. (look online for a printable version you can fill out).  Have your wife sign it in front of a notory.  Chances are you won't need to show it but that way you are covered!  Jane

On my last cruise in July, I unexpectedly ended up taking my minor children alone without my husband due to a family emergency.  No questions asked.  There was no time to get a form notarized had I even thought about it as he was on a plane within hours right before we were to leave for our cruise.  Technically, RC only requires the form if you are traveling without either parent. 

I've also traveled to Europe and Asia with the kids by myself and no problems from customs.  

The child will get questions from the TSA agent at the airport so you may want to prep them for that.  

35 minutes ago, melski94 said:

On my last cruise in July, I unexpectedly ended up taking my minor children alone without my husband due to a family emergency.  No questions asked.  There was no time to get a form notarized had I even thought about it as he was on a plane within hours right before we were to leave for our cruise.  Technically, RC only requires the form if you are traveling without either parent. 

I've also traveled to Europe and Asia with the kids by myself and no problems from customs.  

The child will get questions from the TSA agent at the airport so you may want to prep them for that.  

My 9 year old has been lucky enough to travel a good bit so far throughout her life so questions from a TSA agent won’t startle. Certainly not as much as the first time she flew Southwest after we had done a bunch of trips up front, two year old Addie looked at that plane like there was something wrong it because it didn’t have a first class section. 
She’s flown before with just my wife, but as we all know they all look at Dads differently than Moms.  

5 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

She’s flown before with just my wife, but as we all know they all look at Dads differently than Moms.  

I was going to say exactly this, which unfortunately is a sad reflection on the times we live in. ?

I would be inclined to take up Jane's suggestion and get the notarised form. My philosophy is that it's better to have and not need than need and not have. (Still working on not applying that philosophy to packing, though ?).

Have a lovely cruise with your daughter.