Voom

baltodave

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been addressed....  What are the basic differences between the "Surf" package and "Surf & Stream" packages.  I read the descriptions and they state the "Surf & Stream" can be used for watching movies & TV (i.e. Netflix, etc).   We have no intention to do that (hell, we are on a cruise!) but may want to use FaceTime, WhatsApp, Facebook-live, email, iMessage, etc..  on our iPhones. With these apps, are we okay with just the "surf" package or should we pay the extra $$ and get the "Surf & Stream"?

BTW, our next cruise is on Rhapsody (first "small" ship we've ever taken).  Previously, we've done Oasis class, Freedom class and Voyager class ships.

Thanks!

Dave

"Surf" version of VOOM is fine for text messaging apps and even voice-only calling (FaceTime Audio, WhatsApp Voice calls, etc.). If you want to be able to video chat or watch / broadcast with streaming apps like Facebook Live or Periscope, you'll need the higher bandwidth provided by the Surf & Stream option.

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

"Surf" version of VOOM is fine for text messaging apps and even voice-only calling (FaceTime Audio, WhatsApp Voice calls, etc.). If you want to be able to video chat or watch / broadcast with streaming apps like Facebook Live or Periscope, you'll need the higher bandwidth provided by the Surf & Stream option.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^
If you want to do anything other than some basic internet browsing or sending/receiving emails....  I would go with the surf and stream. 
Even with surf and stream, sometimes voice calls over the internet can be a bit unreliable... (about 90% successful on our last cruise). But if you are doing anything using video streaming, you will definitely need the higher package.