Formal Night

mcoler18

Who still goes the whole hog in regards to dressing up?

There is going to be 11 of us on our upcoming cruise and all 4 of us men are wearing black tie for at least the first formal night and the ladies and my 2 little girls will be wearing nice dresses.

Is this uncommon these days? Its been about 7 years since I was last on a cruise.

6 hours ago, mcoler18 said:

Who still goes the whole hog in regards to dressing up?

There is going to be 11 of us on our upcoming cruise and all 4 of us men are wearing black tie for at least the first formal night and the ladies and my 2 little girls will be wearing nice dresses.

Is this uncommon these days? Its been about 7 years since I was last on a cruise.

We follow Matt's approach; I wear a suit (no tux anymore) and my wife wears a nice dress ensemble.  At our age, it is one of the pleasures of a cruise, along with ballroom dancing and listening to nice music.  A lot of people dress up, and many adopt a "smart casual" or "country club" approach, which has been explained in other posts.

If you do dress up, you'll have lots of company.  If you don't want to wear a suit, you'll have lots of company.  Whatever you choose, you should have a lot of fun!

Last week on "formal" night I wore my usual: Button down lightweight light blue shirt,  nautical themed thrift shop tie, khakis and boat shoes. The wife looks great in whatever she wears so that is easy for her.  I was one of the best dressed along with those half a dozen or so who had on a suit or sportcoat. What was weird was this combo: Shorts with a polo shirt, or long pants with a t-shirt. But no shorts with a t-shirt. Bottom line: Adventure OTS deems jeans and an AC/DC t -shirt to be formal wear.  Plus it's only a "suggested" dress code anyway.