NUB Dinner Drinks Package

Birdman325

I will be going on the Navigator over December break and apologies in advance for this NUB / rookie question. I have been going through the different drinks packages, coffee cards, etc but one thing which is not yet clear to me. If we don't have any of the drink packages, does that mean the only drink we can get in the main dining room for dinner is water, and any soda (Sprite etc) the kids order is per glass charge? 

2 hours ago, Birdman325 said:

I will be going on the Navigator over December break and apologies in advance for this NUB / rookie question. I have been going through the different drinks packages, coffee cards, etc but one thing which is not yet clear to me. If we don't have any of the drink packages, does that mean the only drink we can get in the main dining room for dinner is water, and any soda (Sprite etc) the kids order is per glass charge? 

Also, house coffee is free.  I find the coffee in the main dining room decent.  (The coffee card applies to espresso drinks, etc. but not the house coffee.)  I have also seen complimentary lemonade on ships, although I see more flavored water these days.

I can see they would charge per glass of soda at the bars. Is it a charge per glass at the MDR of is it free refills on soda? I've always gotten one of the packages every time we've cruised.

If you are soda drinkers, I suggest a couple, if not all of you get the soda package.

11 hours ago, bokx2 said:

I can see they would charge per glass of soda at the bars. Is it a charge per glass at the MDR of is it free refills on soda? I've always gotten one of the packages every time we've cruised.

If you are soda drinkers, I suggest a couple, if not all of you get the soda package.

It is not free refills in the MDR if you have no package.. If you have no package and want a soda they bring you a can. If you drink the whole can and want more then you purchase another can.. This can get very costly.. A can of soda after tax and tip is $4.50 if a person wants 2 sodas a day then dying a soda package is worth it.. 

Thx. This is helpful. Still finding my way around all the information that is out there.  The sod’s package might be good for my 2 boys - I have also seen conflicting info about how if one person in a room gets the package then everyone does, but in the small print from what I have read on line for the Soda package it just says no sharing. If I am on a reservation with my 2 boys, I would get it for both of them but would I also have to get the package? 

I have also been reading some posts where people have been saying that some of these drink packages are only “worth it” depending on the number of sea days. I had though that if you bought (for example) the soda package they could use it while on the ship and also while on a shore excursion at Coco Cay (although presumably not at Atlantis) ? 

Thx again 

Not sure if any juice is actually available in the MDR for dinner, what limited selections they do have is usually found in the WJ for the appropriate meal, i.e. concentrated from frozen OJ is available for breakfast in WJ and at sit-down breakfast, not always out all day on ship.  Of course some of this can very from ship to ship.  I think they have ice tea at dinner but we are water drinkers so unsure.

But as already stated all purchased soda is per can at around $4.50 automatic gratuity included.

I am pretty sure the requirement for all in room to purchase a package applies to adult beverage alcohol packages only.

27 minutes ago, Birdman325 said:

I have also seen conflicting info about how if one person in a room gets the package then everyone does, but in the small print from what I have read on line for the Soda package it just says no sharing. If I am on a reservation with my 2 boys, I would get it for both of them but would I also have to get the package? 

The rule about everyone in a cabin getting the package only refers to the Deluxe drink package (the one with alcohol).  Too many people bought one package and got drinks for their room so they decided saying "no sharing" wasn't working.  You do not have to get a soda package if your kids do.

24 minutes ago, Birdman325 said:

I would get it for both of them but would I also have to get the package? 

I have also been reading some posts where people have been saying that some of these drink packages are only “worth it” depending on the number of sea days. I had though that if you bought (for example) the soda package they could use it while on the ship and also while on a shore excursion at Coco Cay (although presumably not at Atlantis) ? 

If you call Royal, you should be able to get the soda package for the kids without you purchasing one yourself.

As far as sea days and "worth it" etc. You just have to decide how much you plan to drink etc and come up with your own value proposition. For instance, take myself. I always get the Ultimate Drink Package, and this is why. I purchase early and get it at $46-49 PD, which means the break even point is 4-5  alcoholic drinks in a day(at $12 per drink, which is what the package allows). How I then break it down further is in the morning, I usually get a specialty latte etc, and this is the same on sea and port days.  Sea days, I will easily go through those 5-6 cocktails without a problem. Port days, if you are going to coco cay, it works there so i break even. On other port days, I will still break even, with my coffee in the morning, a couple of bottles of water to take off the ship to have in port, then usually a pre-dinner drink when I arrive back on the ship. Being Italian, its easy for my to go through 3 glasses of wine during dinner, then another drink at a post dinner show, etc etc. Typically every cruise I end up ahead. 

This is the mental math you need to do to decide what you should purchase. For most people the packages are worth it. For the kids that are going, I bet you will get your moneys worth with the soda package.