Cruise cabin - over door organizer

Kel Kel

We leave in 12 days for our first cruise on Adventure of the Sea. I order a over the door shoe organizer from organizer and the hooks for over the door are only 1 1/2 inches. Does anyone know if that is going to fit over the door so we can organize as I am going planned and hoped? 

Thanks

Metal hooks are not allowed on cruise ships doors so if the hooks that your ordered for the over the dirt shoe organizer are metal, then YOU SHOULD RETURN THE METAL HOOKS, and instead BUY THE COMMAND HOOKS because they are removable and would not damage the cruise ship cabin door at all and SINCE THEY ARE NOT METAL HOOKS THEY ARE ALLOWED TO GO ON CABIN DOORS.

In the cabin bathroom there are metal hooks that are stuck on the bathroom doors (which is the way that the cruise line had designed) and you can attempt to put the over the door organizer on the hooks inside/outside of the bathroom door. Or you can bring command hooks with you on the cruise and attach them to the wall/door and put the over door organizer on the command hooks. 

You could also bring some magnetic hooks to put on the stateroom wall because most cruise ships have magnetic walls so you can bring magnetic hooks along or command hooks which are are allowed and hand the over door organizer on the metal hooks. 

NOTHING THAT WILL RUIN THE SHAPE OR LOOK OF THE DOOR LIKE TAPE OR THE HOOKS FOR THE OVER THE DOOR ORGANIZER IS ALLOWED TO BE USED ON THR STATEROOM DOORS OR WALLS. 

OVER THE DOOR ORGANIZER HOOKS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE DOORS THAT FACE THE HALLWAY BECAUSE THE DOOR ORGANIZER HOOKS COULD MISSHAPE THE DOOR THAT FACES THE HALLWAY, BUT THE OVER THE DOOR ORGANIZER HOOKS ARE  ALLOWED ON THE BATHROOM DOOR INSIDE OF THE STATEROOM.

Edited by Bakerette

23 hours ago, Kel Kel said:

We leave in 12 days for our first cruise on Adventure of the Sea. I order a over the door shoe organizer from organizer and the hooks for over the door are only 1 1/2 inches. Does anyone know if that is going to fit over the door so we can organize as I am going planned and hoped? 

Thanks

If I understand what you are asking correctly and I'm envisioning the shoe organizer that hangs over the door, yes, 1 1/2" is fine, if anything the cruise ship doors are not even that thick.

I'm assuming you will hang it on the bathroom door for extra storage? 

capture1.png

8 hours ago, Bakerette said:

Metal hooks are not allowed on cruise ships doors 

Maybe I got lucky on this, but I actually had two shoe organizers with metal hooks on my cabin bathroom door (one inside and one outside) and never heard anything about them not being allowed.  Mine were a standard size (prob the same as Kel Kel has) and they fit great.  The one inside the bathroom covered up the hook on the door but that didn't bother us.

12 minutes ago, Brobbins246 said:

Maybe I got lucky on this, but I actually had two shoe organizers with metal hooks on my cabin bathroom door (one inside and one outside) and never heard anything about them not being allowed.  Mine were a standard size (prob the same as Kel Kel has) and they fit great.  The one inside the bathroom covered up the hook on the door but that didn't bother us.

Same.  Have used these on numerous cruises and have never had a problem...

First time trying the shoe organizers based on the tips from people. I got two, one for each room. This is the first I have heard about metal hooks not being allowed. Is this just on the doors? meaning, we will get on the ship without any hassle? 

21 minutes ago, bokx2 said:

First time trying the shoe organizers based on the tips from people. I got two, one for each room. This is the first I have heard about metal hooks not being allowed. Is this just on the doors? meaning, we will get on the ship without any hassle? 

My MIL & I each had ours in a checked bag at embarkation.  The bags didn't get pulled to the naughty room, and our stateroom attendant never said anything when she saw them in the room.  My MIL ended up not using hers, which is how we ended up with a second one.

10 hours ago, bokx2 said:

Is this just on the doors? meaning, we will get on the ship without any hassle? 

Yes hooks for over the door organizers are not allowed to go over the cruise ship doors. You will get on the ship.  if you carry your luggage on the ship with you there will probably be no hassle, but if you hand your luggage to the porter and they put your luggage on the ship, the cruise ship employees will X-ray your luggage and if they see something that is not allowed on the ship they will put your luggage in the security office (a.k.a the naughty room) and leave a letter in your room stating that you must take the letter with you to the security office and then you will have to open your luggage and the office will remove what is not allowed on the ship and then you could take your luggage with you to your cabin.

their is a chance that you might get the item or items back at the end of the cruise or you might not get the confiscated items back at all if they were taken when you were onboard the ship.

if your item/items was confiscated be security in the cruise terminal on embarkation day(the first day of the cruise)  then their is very good change that you will get those items back when you return back to the cruise port on disembarkation day (the final day/morning of the cruise) when going through customs to get back into the country that the ship has embarked from and considers that port to be its home port.

11 hours ago, bokx2 said:

There's nothing in the prohibited items that states anything about metal hooks.  You will be fine with the organizer.

I took a shoe organizer with metal hooks on Grandeur in March 2019 (packed with the checked luggage).   It was not confiscated.    I put the metal hooks on the inside of the bathroom door and the hooks on the door and the organizer lined up almost perfectly.   I did not try to hang it over the door itself, I can see how that might scratch the paint or jam up the door in the door frame.   

Just to add more for the discussion we take two.  One hangs over the bathroom door for those small items you want to keep handy. The other has a Velcro top that fits over a close rod.  We put that in the closet.  We don't take a lot of hang up cloths anymore but seem to take a variety of shoes, extra socks etc.  nice to have them rganized and not all thrown all of the floor in the closet.  Also saves trying to jam stuff in the drawers which are pretty limited.  We always pack in our regular luggage and never have been questioned or sent to the naughty room for either of these.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...